A dead walk...

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by reverb, Feb 13, 2005.

1. reverb

reverb Member

Infrared image, with a coloured version layered over the top at low opacity. A few other minor colour tweaks. Not sure what I was trying to achieve, but I like the end result. Just thought I'd share it... so feel free to love it or hate it :)

[​IMG]

2. BlaYde

BlaYde Member

I'm no expert but it looks to me as if the pic is not as sharp as it could be. Might be just me :confused: I like the composition tho.

Few questions...

How did you take the infrared image? And what was the point of putting a coloured version on top of the infrared image?

3. OP
    OP
    reverb

reverb Member

Unfortunately the 300D has a UV filter over the top of the sensor which blocks out most UV light and thus makes it a $hithouse camera for IR photography. I just purchased a Hoya R72 infrared filter for a bit of fun. IR images shot with a 300D will never be sharp (unless you're shooting objects that do not move - ie. anything other than people and foliage!), because of the long exposure times needed.

Taken the same as any other long exposure photo (on a tripod), but with the IR filter over the lens. Why the colour? I wanted to give it a very wet and sodden look. Also because as a straight IR photo, it lacked badly due to the non-sharpness of the foliage.

Going to try some IR photography on architecture shortly... they shouldn't sway like foliage :p

4. Agg

Agg Lord of the Pings

Looks great. Interesting effect, very textured.. almost like a painting.

5. Dinuc

Dinuc Member

You need one of these ...

http://forums.overclockers.com.au/showpost.php?p=4228402&postcount=12

:D

Dna

6. OP
    OP
    reverb

reverb Member

And a lotto ticket!

Apparently in the UK and US there are people who remove the hot mirror for a hundred or so dollars. Haven't seen anyone game enough to try it, or provide that service here. You have to replace it with a thin sheet of glass too apparently.

7. Gibbon

Gibbon grumpy old man

Nice pic, I really like it too.

I read a small snippet in a recent EOS magazine about IR photography ... you're probably already aware of this, but I thought I'd mention it just in case.

You need to use a slightly different focussing technique for IR, as IR photos focussed visually (or auto focus) will always be slightly out of focus (they explained it by saying that IR light comes to a focus in a slightly different plane to the visible spectrum).

On the distance scale of your lens, next to the white index line that shows the focussing distance, there's normally either a red dot or a red line. The trick is to focus normally, switch to manual focus and turn the focussing ring slightly to the right, until the distance originally opposite the index line is now opposite that red dot or line. Hope that makes sense, and like I said you probably already know about this, but I didn't :)

Cheers,
    Gibbon.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2005
  8. OP
    OP
    reverb

reverb Member

I actually wasn't aware of that, cheers. However, my cheapo lenses don't have any distance markers on them, haha :(

9. Lando

Lando Member

Who's been down to Whiteman park?

10. OP
    OP
    reverb

reverb Member

Well picked ;) Was there on Sunday having a quiet BBQ/picnic with my g/f for my Birthday.

11. Dinuc

Dinuc Member

Happy Birthday Craig. :thumbup: :thumbup:

Good to be 21 again ?!? :D

cheers

Dna

12. Tommy Boi

Tommy Boi Member

Craig,

Interesting photo. I must say that the lack of colour really makes this photo and adds character to it. ;) Nice composition as well.

Cheers,
    Thomas

13. tuppaware

tuppaware Member

My 10d responds to Infrared. I tried it using my tv remote . But yeah, you'll need to either bump up the iso or use a long exposure to get anything good. But then I wonder if bumping up the iso would do anything?

Last edited: Feb 16, 2005
  14. Cougs

Cougs Member

i don't quite undersatnd this picture

what does the infrared do? was this picture taken at night or something?

thanks

15. vkinetic

vkinetic Member

I think it's a great photo, or artwork I should say. After all that work it isn't just a photo anymore. But love the effect, the color and the framing of the subject. Maybe you should start a series!

vkinetic

16. OP
    OP
    reverb

reverb Member

I tried shooting at ISO800 and it's terrible. Full of grain and a severe lack of detail.

Infrared light is light of a different spectrum. You cannot see it with the naked eye, or via the taking of a 'normal' photo, hence the use of an infrared filter to pick up that light. Here's an example below:

[​IMG]

17. Cougs

Cougs Member

this is most interesting! so is this just a lens filter?

was the first photo (page 1) photo taken in day or night?

Last edited: Feb 16, 2005
  18. OP
    OP
    reverb

reverb Member

Yup, just a filter... 'Hoya R72'
    They were taken during daylight hours :)

19. Dinuc

Dinuc Member

With the worlds biggest IR source ... :D

The foilage reflects / absorbs IR differently to normal light and that's why it appears white.

Dna