A disappointing day

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by koopz, Nov 14, 2017.

1. koopz

koopz Member

Today I traveled out to Toowoomba, Queensland with a new contractor to do a simple job for a local retailer. They have FTTP up there - all good.

I was disappointed to find that the major retailer that I met had dropped a mate of mine as a trusted installation partner.

Personally, I don't get it.

Regions *need* 3 things in a decent tech... a decent electrician, a decent computer tech who can fix a computer and a decent NBN capable Comms tech. Friends in the local political office are optional. This person needs to be these 3 at a min.

...also a being decent bloody Australian who is an important part of his local community goes a long way. No religion required.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2017
  2. OP
    OP
    koopz

koopz Member

hmm... maybe my personal preference was a dick to people?

I value your thoughts folks

3. Agg

Agg Lord of the Pings

Are you asking a question? I'm finding your post a bit hard to follow. :) Presumably they have their reasons, which would be either they simply have someone else in mind, or your mate has been let go for some reason specific to him.

schmoove and koopz like this.
  4. Nobby6

Nobby6 Member

Customers make decisions that make you scratch your head all the time.
    Someone cheaper?
    Your mate..
    -Did a bad job for them ( even a top class tech can have an off day and screwup at some time, and anyone who says otherwise is FOS ), only takes one bad job to undo the 50 good ones.
    -Did not have required experience/qualifications for the requested task
    -Wasn't available at the time they requested (usually the main factor)
    -Was constantly late to previous jobs (I always schedule the big_boys/VIPs first up - so they aren't put out if the job before them turns into a nightmare and takes twice as long (I'm sure we've all been there)
    -Clients personal reasons (thats a whole new can of worms)

5. OP
    OP
    koopz

koopz Member

cheers for the input folks.

have since chased up with the tech and the retailer for further input.

works have previously taken place outside our systems in the past between the tech and the retailer, so no viability/paper trail.

Have come to the conclusion that the tech required more supervision and training ( bad hire ), though the retail outlet sending the work out also requires more training to ensure job scopes are accurate and achievable.

HR at work seems to be also responsible - apparently they are all contractors now too. ( no idea when that started )

I am wondering why i ever bother posting this to be honest...

6. stevenx

stevenx Member

I grew up in Adelaide but I've spent a bunch of time in Queensland - the further west, the better. Red soil and floodplains do it for me.

I recently drove from Brisbane to Adelaide via far western Queensland the amount of religious junk going on up there is crazy. West of Brisbane and including Toowoomba, but south towards Warwick and St George. Billboards by the highway "REPENT!" or "JESUS SAVES" - not just one random nutter homestead, but hundreds and hundreds of kilometres of this crap.

They have a serious problem with religion up there!

I was trying to put a deal together involving a company which had gas, and a company which needed gas. The two didn't see eye to eye... not because of the business dealings, but because of the religious dealings. They've decided to forego $5m each, in profit, because of something to do with churches or some crap which makes no sense but apparently is a thing in that part of the world.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2017
  7. Nobby6

Nobby6 Member

You know what do they say about noisy minorities.... nobody gives a flying f#$k about those nutjobs that never pay tax.

I reckon god hmself puts his fingers in his ears and goes nah nah nah nah nah nah nah everytime the like of lyle shelton open their useless irrelevant traps

8. ipv6ready

ipv6ready Member

Could it be your friend bit off more than he can chew.
    Chances are he/she said “Yup no problems, done that a hundred times” but on the job cocked it up.

If the retailer advertised for experienced person and not requiring supervision or training plus was given shonky references how good the person is, is the retailer to blame?

9. Tinian

Tinian Member

They move out there to not be bothered. Cheap land to build their communes and all that.