A Few Questions about the EDEN.

Discussion in 'Other CPUs and chipsets' started by nwatts, Nov 22, 2002.

1. OP
    OP
    nwatts

nwatts Member

so they play DVD's ok?

and how does the sound output work when plugging into TVs?

2. Paul Warren

Paul Warren Member

I watched a dvd with my bro on it the other day.

Mind you we watched the dvd on a 14" crt monitor, lol.

It was bloody excellent mate clear as day! Which really suprised me I must say.

3. Tabris

Tabris Member

You can either use the audio out port and a 3.5mm stereo to 2x RCA cable and plug into the audio in jacks on the TV, or if you have an amplifier or TV with a S/PDIF you can plug it into that.

4. bYrd

bYrd Member

According to the forums at forums.viaarena.com, many people have had trouble getting a Geforce 2/4 PCI video card to work in their EPIA motherboard. Apparently it's the video card's fault - it takes too long to initialise, and the fast booting BIOS of the EPIA won't pick it up. Older video cards (eg. V3's, G200s) etc. work fine, but the Trident Blade 3D onboard video does quite a good job of decoding DVDs as is anyhow. PowerDVD supports hardware motion compensation for this card. When I last tried DVD playback on my GF4 MX440 with PowerDVD, hardware acceleration was not supported or very buggy. So in other words, don't bother unless you have a spare GF card around to try.

JB.

5. bYrd

bYrd Member

Perfect. Performing normal Windows tasks, the EPIA 800 feels just as fast as my old Celeron 800. It has poor FPU peformance however - around that of a Celeron 400 - so don't do anything too FPU intensive, but I think you would be quite impressed by the little EPIA's performance under Win2K server.

JB.

6. bYrd

bYrd Member

It's still too big, and you will have to provide ample (and potentially noisy) cooling for the CPU and board itself - the EPIA doesn't need any of that.

7. bYrd

bYrd Member

Under my EPIA-800, DVDs play back perfectly but I had to do a lot of stuffing around to get it there. My specs are fairly high for this motherboard - 512CAS2 RAM/80GB 7200RPM/Pioneer 16X DVD.

Here's what I found -
    - Under Windows XP, playback is very poor.

- PowerDVD is the best software for playback (however, it does not support Trident Blade hardware acceleration under XP); WinDVD does looks slightly better but was very jerky.

- Windows ME w/standard Direct X 7 and PowerDVD gives perfect DVD playback. I installed Direct X 8.1 on this OS, and it was like Windows XP again - so perhaps Direct X 8.1 is the killer here.

- I haven't tried Windows 98 w/standard Direct X 6 - has anyone?

- It's very nice to playback DVDs off the hard disk on a big screen TV @ 800 x 600 on my parents good old QUADRAPHONIC 1970's stereo!

JB.

8. OP
    OP
    nwatts

nwatts Member

the asus board needs a lot more power too.

thanks for all that, i'll go for an EPIA-M when i can get one.

9. Paul Warren

Paul Warren Member

I've been told "via" a reliable source the epia-m won't be out until next january/february....

byrd, you didn't happen to buy yours from us did you? : )

Last edited: Dec 9, 2002
  10. OP
    OP
    nwatts

nwatts Member

no i havent bought one yet....

11. leperMessiah

leperMessiah Member

If you are in Sydney you are welcome to drop into my shop and have a look at one of these in action.

I have in running win2k/Lycoris Linux (512Mb/80Gb) and plays DVDs perfectly well.

Come in and have a play with it if you like.

12. OP
    OP
    nwatts

nwatts Member

sounds good, i'm in wollongong, how far away would that be?

damn, i've just realised that about 80 of my posts have just been deleted! fark! :(:mad:

13. leperMessiah

leperMessiah Member

14. bYrd

bYrd Member

Yep sure did Warcom - you were the only distributor in Victoria I could find. I'm still impressed with it - especially in my very spiffy modded case which I haven't released to the modding world yet ...

Most people have found they have had to lower the decoding settings under DivX on the EPIA. HOWEVER - I just discovered FFdshow and BSPlayer, where you can run DivX videos @ full quality (even with postprocessing such as blur or sharpen without a performance hit). FFdshow is 300K and does everything, unlike the Divx 5 and nAvi codecs I had to use before (coming it at 5+ MBs).

I reckon i've (almost) tweaked this board to it's full potential. You can overclock it under WCPUID, but it's very unstable.

JB.

15. strafe

strafe Member

The epia-m motherboards are available in very limited quantities at the moment, with the fanless based eden boards (EPIA ME 6000) very scarce. I have found that www.mini-itx.com is a great source of info.

EPIA M Stuff:

http://www.mini-itx.com/store/default.asp?c=2#p3

http://www.viaarena.com/?PageID=187

I'm definitely hanging out for one now :). The firewire ports will be valuable when connecting a burner etc.

16. stroggos2k

stroggos2k Member

is there somewhere in sydney that sells the Epia-M with a 933mhz CPU?

17. Doppelganger

Doppelganger Member

Now that ive thought about it if you put one of them new PCI AIW Radeon VE (7500) in that PCI slot you have one pretty damn fine digital editing box :)

18. stroggos2k

stroggos2k Member

You're kidding right? a CPU that slow for video editing? Do you know how long it would take to encode

19. Tabris

Tabris Member

A damned long time, I agree... these boards are not for Video Editing in any sense of the word.

20. OP
    OP
    nwatts

nwatts Member

video editing is (IMO) where celery's shine :D

high clock is what u need for video editing and losta RAM and video RAM.