A Good 4/8 AA NimH Charger

Discussion in 'Electronics & Electrics' started by Demonic2005, Mar 11, 2010.

1. Demonic2005

Demonic2005 Member

Hey guys I really have no clue about these things but I have some devices that use AA batteries and I have a Energizer Fast Charger works great but i swap it between car and home, so idealy I'd like to keep it in the car most of the time and need a backup at home

Where should i be looking for a reasonable prices charger i was thinking the Energizer POD Charger (8x AA) or a 2nd Fast Charger, but would like some opinions before I commit

2. one4spl

one4spl Member

Ive got an earlier version of this from Jaycar... its not fast but works well enough. At the time is was one of the few that would charge odd numbers of batteries properly, as i need for my SB800 with 5 batteries.

3. Technics

Technics Member

http://servaas.com.au/

You did say you wanted a good one. "Reasonable price" is fairly subjective but I have found the C800S I have to be excellent. (I have no connection with the company or the seller BTW)

4. OP
    OP
    Demonic2005

Demonic2005 Member

Those Servas ones look good the $99 seems nice with the rapid and slow charge

5. aXis

aXis Member

I have the same jaycar unit and think it's good.

It did however develop a fault where one of the slots contantly reports the battery as failed, but all of the others are fine and with so many slots it's not a big deal.

6. LeadAccelerator

LeadAccelerator Member

I have one of these and it works great, it can recharge NiMh, NiCad and alkaline, AAA/AA/C/D (up to 4) and 9v (up to 2), and it has a plugpack that you could substitute with a cigarette lighter adapter for in car use but you would have to adapt it yourself.

It shows a bar graph for each battery being charged and I think it can do the discharge cycle needed for NiCad and alkaline but I have never used it for those.

7. LethalCorpse

LethalCorpse Member

I've got the same charger, but it makes a ticking noise at about 1-2Hz, as did a few of the others I saw. Dunno why, or how to fix it, but I've never cracked it open to bother.

8. aXis

aXis Member

You mean the jaycar one has the ticking noise? Mine does too.

I think it is so that it can isolate each battery briefly to check the voltage (peak detection). You dont want to check whilst charging or discharging as the internal resistance will have an effect.

9. cvidler

cvidler Member

10. pelmen

pelmen Member

I second the Servaas suggestion. The WizardOne is well worth the money and Servaas were quick and easy to deal with.