A Guide to Wide-Gamut Displays (v1.2)

Discussion in 'Video Cards & Monitors' started by Maldark, Oct 20, 2008.

1. walker_2003

walker_2003 Member

there needs to be a post like this, but for HDR monitors.. some coming out, but mostly rubbish.. people assume HDR = good but there is a wide spectrum e.g. peak nits, true 10 bit, local dimming.. somebody get on it :p

2. adamsleath

adamsleath Member

might be the wrong thread but im looking at this screen to buy:
    https://www.computeralliance.com.au/parts?id=26496
    according to the reviews the 1ns thing is sales hype ...but notwithstanding this screen is pretty good in terms of input lag, response, color. freesync. and the higher refresh rate.
    for the price.
    still preferring IPS to the VA, both of which have their qualities.

...and i'm pondering an ultrawide 1440p (35") ...but thinking i wont get the big stats with an ultrawide for the dollars.
    any thoughts?

definitely looking sub 1000$ im pushing my meagre budget as it is.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019
  3. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

It is. This thread is about wide gamut colour. Not wide screen. They are not related.

Also, as excellent as the OP was at the time, a lot of that information is out of date with respect to both new colour standards that supercede some of the things mentioned, and new operating systems that have far superior colour management some 11 years later.

4. adamsleath

adamsleath Member

5. elvis

There's no cause and effect there. IPS doesn't dictate colour standards, nor do colour standards force the choice of IPS technology.

The concepts here apply to any display technology. Projectors, CRTs, OLEDs, LCD, anything.

6. adamsleath

adamsleath Member

https://makeawebsitehub.com/best-monitors-photo-editing/

well. im looking for good color.

https://www.techradar.com/au/news/best-monitor-for-photo-editing

https://www.mwave.com.au/product/be...ed-freesync-hdr-va-led-gaming-monitor-ac16419
    yummy.
    100Hz.

7. elvis

The quick version is, look for the monitors with the highest AdobeRGB coverage. And be careful of panels that advertise 10bit (or more) but only do that at the processing level, and not the native panel level where it's still 8 bit colour.

Regardless, LCD isn't great for colour for a bunch of reasons. If you're looking at print finishing or finals for TV/movies, consider OLED as your reference monitor. If you're only doing digital art or photography for web, LCD is OK at the top end of the colour performance. Good colour *will* cost you, because there's actually more expensive tech that goes into make it work. It's not just a marketing thing.

IMHO the best LCD monitor for colour reference are the HP DreamColor displays. Not cheap, and not great for gaming though, but I don't buy in to the idea that my gaming needs to dictate my professional work like a few too many here do (all of my gaming and professional hardware are completely separate).

[edit]

Oh, and make sure you buy a colorimeter, and calibrate monthly. A good display is worthless without a tool to verify and correct it.

adamsleath likes this.
  8. adamsleath

adamsleath Member

9. elvis

This is an 8bit panel. Not wide gamut. Worthless for "good colour".

Yes. If you want good colour, you will have to pay for it. Gamer monitors emphasis refresh speed and price over image quality. They're rubbish for professional visual work.

These are LED backlit LCDs. The display technology is still LCD, despite how the light behind it is pushed through the LCD filter. They are called "LED" to differentiate between older CCFL (Cold Cathode Fluorescent Lamp) backlit LCD displays.

"Micro LED" or ┬ÁLED are true LED display technology, but to my knowledge haven't made it to PC monitors yet (the main market segment are TVs currently).

In broadcast and film, OLED still dominates as the reference display of choice due to colour accuracy and range. Although it too has its downsides (peak brightness is difficult to get high enough, compared to more expensive technology like laser projectors).

IPS offers a range of benefits over older technology. Those benefits aren't related to colour (brightness and viewing angle perhaps, which can affect colour perception, but not colour gamut directly). Again, little correlation outside of circumstance there.

adamsleath likes this.
  10. adamsleath

adamsleath Member

well. i guess ill end up with the best color accuracy screen i can find which can double as a gaming thing. i dont really need a gaming focussed monitor.
    for around 1000$.
    barely looked yet.

the best of the best are out of my league for price.

https://www.colbybrownphotography.c...ers-take-on-the-benq-sw2700pt-27-qhd-monitor/

https://www.gamingscan.com/is-an-oled-monitor-worth-it/
    looks like oled's have very impressive response times.
    too pricy for me at this point in time. maybe in ten years.

11. elvis

Price will tell you very quickly if the marketing specs are bullshitting you or not. If someone claims to have a 10bit panel with "great colour" for $400, that's an instant red flag to me.

Pro colour costs pro dollars. This is in part why professional photographers, editors, and the like are worth the money they charge. Not just for their incredible skill, but if they're doing their work properly, their equipment won't cost peanuts.

And I repeat: this is why I don't subscribe to the "I spec my gaming rig the same way I spec my work rig". Whether it's colour or software or anything else, work requirements and gaming requirements are rarely the same (unless you happen to work in the gaming industry or are a pro [i.e.: earn your full time income from it, not just a hobby] streamer, which is the minority of people I speak to).

adamsleath likes this.