1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

[WINXP] A little happy nostalgia

Discussion in 'Windows Operating Systems' started by Aetherone, May 7, 2016.

1. Aetherone

Aetherone Member

I decided to finally get around to capping all those old VHS tapes. Since I'd tucked away an old Pinnacle hardware A-D capture card I had to revisit 32bit XP to get that monster working.

Aw, it was nice. A little initially painful getting the right combination of hardware & software to play nicely together around the ridiculously unsupported Pinnacle card (brilliant hardware but the bastards stopped supporting it around SP1).

Think back to late 2002 hardware - cheap (lol) DDR1 and expensive Rambus were competing for supremacy, nail-polish unlockable AMD Thoroughbred-B were going up against the brand new 800FSB Intel Pentium-4s. Nvidia had just slugged ATI with the GeForce 4 cards.

Then run an OS from those days on something modern with more ram than it can address, running at speeds faster than the cache of 2002; four cores at 3.8; motherboards without the miniscule bandwidth limits of AGP and PCI busses and importantly: a SATA speed limited SSD :D
    Hell, with the right controller, you even get working USB3!

Fast doesn't even begin to describe the experience. Telepathic maybe?
    We all know Vista was a UI pig and in response to complaints Microsoft has fiddled with the UI scheduler with 7, 8, 8.1 and 10 and none of them are as instantly responsive, even with the XP eyecandy switched on.
    Prettier perhaps, but always with a tiny (and sometimes not so tiny) delay.
    Boot times were miniscule, at least until I loaded the Pinnacle drivers, at which point it went from sub-2 seconds to about 8. :upset:
    Sure there's no DX12 (or DX11 or DX10 or DX9! without SP2) so it really is a stripped out track day special but boy, it is really special for the things you can do with it. :thumbup:
    Plus a base install is barely 3GB, making that 16/32G SSD positively voluminous!

Even better, if you want to configure something, the applet is one or two mouse clicks away. Not six or eight or elevate permissions or eye-bleedingly annoying wizards or panels full of jellybeans to click on or yes, yes and yes to get to the control.
    Its just right there, ready and willing to fatally break something :)

Makes me wish MS could cook up a bastard OS with the hardware support of 10 and the lean, minimalistic interface of XP. No not a skin, but an actual cohesive interface.
    Instead with every revision its more bloat, more questionable "features", less speed & more hardware required, more annoying wizards and jarring switches between half-cooked interfaces that hide the important settings.

Kids these days have no idea what they're missing out on :rolleyes:

Addendum: I'm sure the older and even more grizzled users might say the same thing about NT3 or 4(.5) or 2k. I came in on the end of NT and while I liked 2K, XP is for me the peak of functionally efficient and consistent user interfaces.
    Every OS revision since then has just gotten more and more messy (some call it pretty) and less and less cleanly efficient.

gerrorfmahlawn :sick:

Last edited: May 7, 2016
  2. Nitephyre

Nitephyre Member

I hear you. There's a reason it's STILL being used in production environments.

3. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

Yeah because finance managers have a heart attack when the see the cost of moving to something modern :p

4. broccoli

broccoli Member

and at home....

5. samo

samo Member

video of sub 2 second boot time or it didnt happen.

the exaggeration is strong in this one.

6. flu!d

flu!d Never perfect, always genuine

Personally, I think Windows XP is downright horrible.

7. mareke

mareke Member

I still have my old Pentium 4 socket 478 computer with a 3.4 GHz Northwood CPU running Windows XP Pro that I fire up sometimes to scan documents and do other things. It's not connected to the internet anymore. I'm not willing to scrap it yet.

8. Elyzion

Elyzion Member

He's lying.

9. Recharge

Recharge Member

he's not lying about the level of bloat and crap interface of windows 8-10.
    it's atrocious.

10. Rezin

Rezin Member

I just want Classic Theme, man... too much to ask?

11. NSanity

NSanity Member

it has nothing to do with XP -> 10 either, and everything about their App.

Most software vendors are shitting on everyone for 7/2008r2/office2010 by the end of this year though - which is nice.

Supporting 7, 8.1 and 10 is somewhat annoying - professionally speaking.

12. Kafoopsy

Kafoopsy Member

I fully agree. This is what I keep bleating about. Windows XP was the high point of Windows. Windows 98 was nearly there, Windows 7 is a bit on the other side, Windows 10 is miles away.

Like you say, an OS with the base and hardware support of Windows 10 with the interface of XP would just be the best thing since sliced bread.

13. OP
    OP
    Aetherone

Aetherone Member

Yeah ok, I'm remembering too fondly and not using hard numbers.
    The windows splash is up and gone in 2.4 seconds and the scroll bar barely gets 1/3rd across its first pass :thumbup:
    The actual boot time from final BIOS screen to usable desktop is 6.4 seconds.

With a bit of hacking about, 7 & 8.1 can be slapped into a not-terrible clone with only rare forays into the jellybean world.
    10 seems to have disabled a lot of the proper control panels in favor of touch-ui jellies. :sick:

Given how server can be factory de-UI'ed, it couldn't be that hard right? :wired:

14. Kafoopsy

Kafoopsy Member

Ah, you are talking to a perfectionist here. Windows 7 can be made to look mostly like XP, (or Windows 98 in my case) but Windows 8.1 is beyond all hope. All customisation options are gone there.

15. OP
    OP
    Aetherone

Aetherone Member

Playing around in XP was nice, but there's enough of the old useful control panels buried in 8.1 with update 2 to keep me mostly happy.

I can't find them in 10 though. Holding off on that one as long as possible. Probably until January 11th, 2023. Maybe Windows Skynet edition will be out by then :sick:

16. Recharge

Recharge Member

I really hate the fact over the last thee versions of windows they've just stripped more and more customisation out until it's shit ugly.

wtf is wrong with them? stick too far up their arse?

17. broccoli

broccoli Member

There is nothing "wrong" with them. They want total control so they can take money from consumers. It's standard economics. What is wrong with the consumers who have let them is the real question.

18. BBITS

BBITS Member

XP Pirate Edition loaded in 2.21sec on some good hardware

19. Kafoopsy

Kafoopsy Member

They don't realise that I (and probably many others) would happily pay extra, a LOT extra to be able to use the XP interface with current versions of Windows.

20. broccoli

broccoli Member

You won't have any interface.... You will be able to press the few buttons that they will let you use. PCs are GONE. It's not your device. It's theirs. They don't care that a few geeks might pay more to have what they've lost. You're not getting it back.