A look at Devin Townsend's ProTools session, really cool

Discussion in 'Musicians' started by BLuFFaLo, Nov 17, 2009.

1. BLuFFaLo

BLuFFaLo Member

Devin Townsend is the man. He's making awesome music and also being really cool for his fans, making videos (studio work and also really silly funny stuff) and I think its really cool to see this stuff.

Here is the Finished song off his newest cd.

Here is a video of him recording vocal tracks for the chorus of the song (before it was finished and released, essentially a teaser for the new albulm)

And just posted today is a look at his ProTools session, soloing some tracks to see and hear all the different layers that make up the song.

Hope you like it.

2. nickeax

nickeax (Banned or Deleted)

Is that an SM7? I think Jacko used them a fair bit on Thriller.

3. OP
    OP
    BLuFFaLo

BLuFFaLo Member

yeah it is. he posted all his gear settings for that video too. compressor etc etc

4. DJ Fusion

DJ Fusion Member

Can't view from work but will check this when I'm home. I've been caning "Ki" lately, Dev is awesome.

5. nickeax

nickeax (Banned or Deleted)

Interesting video. The song left me dry, but he really is a craftsperson to be able to pick those sounds and stack them like that. Lots of sonic support going on!

6. spootmonkey

spootmonkey Member

You should check out some older Devy stuff Nick (Biomech, Infinity or City), it's at a higher enough level than his current output that I think even non-metal/prog types could really get into it.

7. Silent8ob

Silent8ob Member

Pasty McBalderton! olol

I'm not normally a fan of massively overproduced stuff, but I like what he's doing. That super-lush chorus is a nice shade against the sparse verses. Builds nicely imo. Definitely headphone music though.

8. nav

nav Member

fantastic, thanks for posting :thumbup:

-nav.

9. hsv2000

hsv2000 Member

thanks for posting.
    great to see the genius at work! :thumbup:

edit:

devin just twitted this not so long ago:

# I'll keep you posted if anyone is interested. Yeah, doing Aus in March...maybe some NZ about 14 hours ago
    # So when I do the headlining tours, I'll be needing choirs.. (6 women) Australia, Europe etc... different people in each country. Lots2learn about 14 hours ago

he is coming to australia!! fuckin w00t!

Last edited: Nov 21, 2009
  10. Xplora

Xplora Member

It's very interesting to hear the EXTRA stuff... if you crank his earlier stuff through great speakers you can hear most of the layers, but as with most good music, its the things you can't hear which make it interesting.

You could probably all do something like this; I think its the personal cringe factor which makes most of us flinch. Devin's really standout point is that his vocals are extremely good and diverse as well. I could do a Strapping Young Lad meets Cannibal Corpse sound, but I couldn't do his Terria or DTB stuff as well.

11. soadaholic

soadaholic Member

Digging this album. I really like the version of hyperdrive (original is better imo but still great version).

The chicks voice is ace.