1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

A man cave PC - A 1:1 ratio R2-D2

Discussion in 'Modding Worklogs' started by d33g33, Feb 21, 2015.

1. d33g33

d33g33 Member

Hi everyone,

So I have a very good friend who is turning 30 this year and I really wanted to go all out.

He's quick tech savvy like myself and has a pretty good setup in his shed but I think he needs an upgrade, he is also a huge Star Wars fan so, I figure what better than building a 1:1 ratio R2-D2, and throw a couple of PC's in it?

Now the hardware wont be special, most likely at this stage a couple of RaspBerryPi 2's 1x running XBMC the second running RetroPie or something similar. I am hoping, I can put a projector into the head to project out of the 'radar eye' for a complete solution.

First things first was to get some parts so I had a heap of parts CNC'd for me that make up the majority of the main torso and the legs plus some small detail parts as well. The wood is MDF and the white that looks like paper is 1mm PVC, it looks tattered but its just the protective paper on both sides of the PVC to protect it, the cuts are quite clean.

I have labeled this build, aRcade-D2
    [​IMG]

Alright guys so here's what I have so far.

A whole heap of parts that make up a large part of the body and legs, man, there's a LOT of parts and a LOT or work to get done here...

So ill try describe what we have here;

-Top left is the rings that make up the tubular body, just to the right and down from them is the vertical frame that they all slot into. The box at the far right top is cut PVC plastic sheet for detailing the build.
    -Below the rings are the 2 main legs of R2-D2, the white pieces are should details.
    -The large trapezoid shapes are for the feet for the main legs, the smaller ones to the right are for the front.
    -Most of the rest are detailing pieces like the rocket packs for the rear seat and other key features.
    -The big white sheet looks like paper but its just paper protecting 1mm sheet of PVC plastic that will wrap around the tube frame and make up the main body of R2-D2

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The rings for the body are 450mm in diameter for reference
    [​IMG]

Shoulder Details
    [​IMG]

PCV Sheet that makes up the main body and the iconic R2-D2 arm cutouts
    [​IMG]

Laid over the PVC on a foot piece for reference of the detailing that it will create
    [​IMG]

Its washed out as hell but some more PVC detailing pieces laid on top of the main body piece of PVC
    [​IMG]

Well, that's all I have for you now. Hopefully I'll mock up some pieces tomorrow so its more visually pleasing but then I have to glue and seal all this MDF for paint!

I also have to pick up the dome for the head and order some fine detail pieces in from the USA.

I hope you enjoy this as much as I will!

2. the3coopers

the3coopers Member

Wow, awesome!

How come you used such thick MDF? That is going to be massively heavy, are you aiming for 1:1 mass as well? Oh, how much would the real R2D2 weigh anyway?

3. Kommandant33

Kommandant33 Member

Awesome - subbed for this one :thumbup:

4. OP
    OP
    d33g33

d33g33 Member

Well because its basically a skeleton frame with light weight materials around it 18mm probably is excessive but better overbuilt than under built right? Plus its a shed PC, so there will most likely be alcohol involved so riding it might become an idea... maybe...

Thanks mate! Should be a good one :)

5. mr camouflage

mr camouflage Member

Dunno. Whatever Kenny Baker weighs plus a few kilos?

6. the3coopers

the3coopers Member

Ahhhh, of course. Silly me, I wasn't thinking clearly :lol:

I am really looking forward to this build - I love reading the threads on custom made cases

7. OP
    OP
    d33g33

d33g33 Member

Very small update for you.

I managed to get my hands on a 3D printer for a while, this is awesome news as it will save me A LOT of money in getting some parts. Some I cant find models for but for a lot I can, this should save me $200+ dollars!

These are the first parts off the printer, ill fill and sand them smooth. These 2 parts combined are the "Front Logic Displays" for R2-D2 and together printed in 1.5hours.

I think the printer will be running for about 7 days, 12 hours a day to get all the parts printed.

Enjoy :)

[​IMG]

8. OP
    OP
    d33g33

d33g33 Member

MOAR Parts :)

There's about 16 hours of print time in this :S

[​IMG]

9. Freebee

Freebee Member

Wow, at tlt his rate it will take a ton of patience to get all the parts done, I applauded you for your dedication!

10. OP
    OP
    d33g33

d33g33 Member

I'm learning to maximize the bed space, fire it up in the morning, run it all day, rinse and repeat through the night :)

11. Madengineer

Madengineer Member

This is absolutely incredible! I'd kill for one of these! :D

12. OP
    OP
    d33g33

d33g33 Member

Thanks very much! I'd happily make you one... At a cost :p might want to wait and see how this turns out first though...

13. TaroT

TaroT Member

love it
    when your finished I,ll take a lost in space robot thanks:)

as for the pc...maybe a little dear but how about the gigabyte brix projector...takes care of all the boxes and small and low power

14. OP
    OP
    d33g33

d33g33 Member

Ha thats cool! I hadnt seen it before but the projector isnt strong enough for this project.

15. Alby1976

Alby1976 Member

Maaaaaate, with the average age group on this forum, I think you might get a few orders.

16. OP
    OP
    d33g33

d33g33 Member

Ha we'll see.

After printing some parts I realized the scales were off so I've had to reprint a few. I'm having a lot of unsuccessful prints which is very frustrating.

Potato pic[​IMG]

17. Sn@Ke

Sn@Ke Member

I'd be in on a flat-pack / kit group buy :Pirate:

+sub

18. Dopius Fishius

Dopius Fishius Member

Mate, shoot me a copy of the STL files youre having trouble with and I'll try them on my 3D printer. Would be happy to send them your way for the cost of plastic and freight.

19. OP
    OP
    d33g33

d33g33 Member

Thanks for the offer mate. I think I need to run them through a 3D print model cleaner? Then I'll try again or maybe lower the resolution. I've been printing at 0.15mm but might try at 0.3 to see if that helps. I'll yell out if I keep having problems.

20. Complexity

Complexity Member

Awesome stuff! Can't wait to see more progress!