A Mexican Physicist Solved A 2,000-Year Old Problem That Will Lead To Cheaper, Sharper Lenses

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by power, Aug 12, 2019.

1. power

power Member

A Mexican Physicist Solved A 2,000-Year Old Problem That Will Lead To Cheaper, Sharper Lenses

Seems like one of those once in a lifetime or in this case several lifetime discoveries. Be very interested to see who is first to market with this and see it as a total gamechanger.

and just for fun here's the equation.

upload_2019-8-12_12-30-46.png

2. Sphinx2000

Sphinx2000 Member

Cool, but you lost me at the SqUaRe RoOt...

3. theicemagic

theicemagic Member

Very excited to play with this equation. ^_^

4. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

i was torn if i put this here in or in the science/nerd forum. it's certainly a lot of numbers.

5. theicemagic

theicemagic Member

Nah, it works. (putting it here) You could probably put it there just a easily though. ^_^

6. mtma

mtma Member

Is the article exaggerating - it looks like the formula solves the conditions for one wavelength?

Plus even if we know the precise shape, how does it not end up being another one of these 'difficult to manufacture' aspheric lenses anyway?

I guess it's quite interesting for precision instruments and megapickle cameras big enough not to be diffraction limited. But I can't see this formula single handedly make smartphone cameras wildly better for the same price.