A minor makeover..

Discussion in 'PC Build Logs' started by Ratzz, Jul 5, 2016.

1. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

Just something I have been messing around with.

Started off with an old Dell Inspiron 530. Some crap proprietry board, no support for quaddies, with 2x512MB DDR2-667 and an E4500.

[​IMG]

The case had your basic silver plastic on the front, and the top was painted silver too, but the sides were in vivid white. Front side cover has a massive DELL stamped in it. Both side covers, front and back, had pretty decent undamaged paint.

[​IMG]

I stripped it, drilled out the rivets holding in the top plate, stripped the plastic front cover into its various bits etc. Anything removable on the case frame was removed, then the case frame painted black, inside and out.

I also painted the original crappy PSU black.

Then I painted the top plate and various bits of the front cover white, since I thought the side covers didnt actually look bad as they were. I just wanted to get rid of the stupid silver plastic look. Riveted the top plate back on, now time to stick some stuff in it.

I started with a new board. Nothing fancy, its a Gigabyte G33M-DS2R.. but at least it supports quaddies.

So, I go to stick the IO plate in and oops.. never noticed that.. had to cut a hole for the IO plate, then another coat of black on the back :lol:

Not my photo, just one from online. I'd already painted it black before I noticed the lack of IO plate.. :confused:

[​IMG]

I've installed the G33M-DS2R with 8GB of mismatched ram.. two sets, both DDR800.. and a Q6600. Cooling is a Phanteks low profile job I had lying around, its a nice little cooler, quiet and effective, and just happens to fit a 775 board :thumbup:.

[​IMG]

Win10 is installed and activated on the Kingston 120GB SSD attached under the burner, and data goes to the 2TB 3.5" drive, where all default data folders have been redirected to.

Graphics is just a $50 2GB Gainward GT710. It's not much, but it leaves the onboard graphics in its dust of course, and gives it HDMI functionality.

[​IMG]

I still need to pick up a PCIE USB3 card for it, there is a X4 slot available on the bottom of the board. The other 2 slots are just PCI, and one is obscured by the heatsink on the GPU.

[​IMG]

Should make a good student or facebook machine for someone, it works pretty well for what it is. Looks a damn sight better than it did too IMO :thumbup:

[​IMG]

PS: my mrs is pissed at you guys for not commenting on her pride and joy on previous occasions. Do me a favour and compliment the table... :lol:

Last edited: Jul 5, 2016
  2. mad_mic3

mad_mic3 Member

oh oh, that table looks good;)

3. Paulie_AU

Paulie_AU Member

Get that thing out of the way I want to see the table.

4. vladtepes

vladtepes Member

That is one cool table...

... when ya going to paint that white? :upset:

5. OP
    OP
    Ratzz

Ratzz Member

Whenever I feel the need to have my testes torn from my body. I'm resisting the urge so far :lol:

6. vladtepes

vladtepes Member

So true.

As far ast the computer is concerned it looks HEAPS better mate good job.

I'd have thought that getting rid of the silver strips on the front and the dell logo would be worth doing too

7. mad_mic3

mad_mic3 Member

hows this going, did you have to clear the table for the festive season:)

8. OP
    OP
    Ratzz

Ratzz Member

lol yeah of course. This little rig was sold on the forum for $250 ages ago, not fancy but a great students computer and I have heard nothing so I assume the buyer was happy. It was sold with a PCIE USB3 card and a 270X, with Win10 installed and activated.

Wifey is still just as eagle eyed when it comes to her precious table, not much gets done it these days. $3500 for a table everyone is scared to use :lol: