A moment in time

Discussion in 'The Gallery' started by TerraVisuals, Apr 21, 2018.

1. TerraVisuals

TerraVisuals Member

Taken at the Newcastle Ocean Baths

9200F2B0-2333-4B1E-9DDB-AB3DCC3787C7.jpeg

Derfman, adz, RyoSaeba and 6 others like this.
  2. adamsleath

adamsleath Member

WOW

TerraVisuals likes this.
  3. Akh-Horus

Akh-Horus Member

Spectacular is an understatement

TerraVisuals likes this.
  4. OP
    OP
    TerraVisuals

TerraVisuals Member

Thanks mate

Akh-Horus likes this.
  5. ^catalyst

^catalyst Member

Nice shot, can't help but ask what the tripod setup is, looks a bit wonky.

6. ^catalyst

^catalyst Member

I didn't mean the level, it looks like someone gave the tripod a nudge mid exposure. Had a look at a few of your shots and your long exposures all seem to be jarred; this robs the critical sharpness which will greatly diminish the quality of shot.

7. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

I was thinking either that, or focus was off, not at infinity? Or maybe just really aggressive noise reduction in post?

8. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

When you're shooting astro like this, set your lens to manual focus and line it up on the infinity marker. Take some test shots and see how they come out, you might find with your lens you need to move a little before or after the mark, but it won't be by much. After that, you need the 500 rule to avoid star trails. I won't bother putting it here, just have a look at this link and the handy table they've done up. If you can't get the shot you want inside that rule, you either need to move to a stacking method, or get yourself a faster lens. F2.8 is 'fast', but not really fast enough for astro work in an area with a lot of light pollution.

9. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

If you're shooting on a full frame yes, what was this shot on? Also you can't rely on the cameras screen in live view. It's just too small. You need to manually focus using marks on the lens, find the sweet spot and go with that. If you're relying on what you see on the cameras display then you're going to get it wrong more often than not.

10. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

When I'm shooting this stuff I'm also using live view on a tablet, but I still don't trust the image I'm seeing until I have it on a decent monitor at a decent size. And seeing as the focus point for stars is always the same, if you learn your lens, learn the correct focus point for sharp stars at infinity then you'll always get it right, so screwing around trusting that what you're seeing in live view is correct. I've never seen anyone recommend live view for shooting astro.

Of course if your lens is broken then all bets are off :)

11. ^catalyst

^catalyst Member

Absolutely set it to infinity, 100%, no questions asked. Use mirror-lockup or at the very least a self timer on the camera to execute the exposure. Try and be as far from the camera as possible during the exposure.

With a 14mm lens, you're going to have *oodles* of DoF no matter what.

12. ^catalyst

^catalyst Member

If you use the start of the infinity mark on the lens scale, it will almost always be fine on a 14. You could always use hyperfocal charts if you're keen.

13. Deftone2k

Deftone2k In the Darkroom

Something is definitely amiss here with the focus if you are finding thats sharp on a star in Live View at 100%. In the foreground it kind of looks like movement.. but the image is pretty soft. You can see how much more the left side of the frame is out compared to the right as well. Had any big knocks on that lens?

I noticed on some other photos you shared the softness as well.. always thought to ask how you compress to share (if that was partial cause) but yeah.

14. ^catalyst

^catalyst Member

Yeah, time for a trip to the lens doctor methinks.

15. newynut

newynut Member

I say WOW bloody good stuff.

16. Digit

Digit Member

I'd guess it's more decentred. I wouldn't trust the infinity mark on the lens, finding true infinity and marking where that is with tape or something works but the marks alread on the lens don't always work. I've always gone into live view at 100% to focus on stars, slowly adjust until the star is as small as possible.

personally i think it's a top effort and lovely composition, the softness is unfortunate though, but not a deal breaker :) You should look into a cheap fast wide prime, none of this zoom stuff ;)

TerraVisuals likes this.
  17. ^catalyst

^catalyst Member

A lot this. Astro is one of the few forms of photography where optical performance is truly important; hope you get it sussed and it doesn't cost you an arm and leg to do so.