A note regarding dual CPU EPIA

Discussion in 'Other CPUs and chipsets' started by stmok, Jun 14, 2005.

1. stmok

stmok Member

2. orF

orF Member

Did you really want one? :p

Better off with a dual core A64, way more powerful.
    The single core EPIA's should do anything anyone wants them for...

3. OP
    OP
    stmok

stmok Member

It depends on what application you use them for.

[RANT]

Would you honestly use a dual-core A64 for a multi-purpose home server? (Firewall/email/proxy/VPN/etc/etc).

I don't know about you, but I prefer a nice little, low noise box tucked into a corner for that role.

And what about relatively low cost dense servers?

Look at power consumption. And what about thermal tolerance? Can a AMD or Intel CPU operate in harsh conditions. eg : 90 deg/C?

EPIAs and VIA CPUs take a niche market. They're not suppose to be taking on the two main performance competitors of CPUs. I don't get why people continually insist on saying AMD/Intel are better. Do they all cost the same to setup?

If all had the same features, same Mini-ITX format, roughly the same price, and able to work in the same environments, then I'd agree with you.

But there is no Mini-ITX Socket 939 mobos, and Intel solutions (especially Pentium-M) aren't cheap to begin with. Do you really want to put a Pentium-D/XE into a Mini-ITX box?

[/RANT]

I just want a small, relatively quiet, SMP setup. It doesn't have to set land speed records, it just has to work to an acceptable level to me. Its not like I'm gonna run StudioMAX on an EPIA! :)