A Petition Pertaining to NBN in Australia - Lets get FTTH

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by Schnooper, Sep 11, 2013.

1. FiShy

FiShy Member

He doesn't even work for Telstra. ... and this is a public forum

2. Aetherone

Aetherone Member

I think it has absolutely no commercial sensitivity whatsoever, except to a government trying to hide unpopular numbers. Just like the number of refugees and boats arriving.

CiC is a cop-out on the truth.

3. ir0nhide

ir0nhide Member

You may think that, but in this case it's not.

4. looktall

looktall Working Class Doughnut

it doesn't matter what you think.

it only matters that nbn co thinks it is CiC.

5. Exige

Exige (Banned or Deleted)

Has anyone actually confirmed that it is indeed CIC, and it's not just all speculation and hearsay at this point ?

6. Aetherone

Aetherone Member

If that's really honestly true, they'd better ask manufacturers to stop putting the power consumption figures into their product documentations then. :lol:
    Hey hey hey, don't you go around bringing facts into this discussion !:p

7. caspian

caspian Member

clearly.

I can quite guarantee you they're not going be doing that, because I no longer have one. (actually they are retained for life as they are a derivation of a AGS number, but regardless I have not worked for Telstra for some time.)

whereas I take my job and its provisions quite seriously, and what some random on the internet would like to know to reinforce an armchair expert argument doesn't alter that for a moment.

ultimately if you choose not to believe what I say then fine, it's not something that's going to worry me. it's also not going to alter what happens one jot.

what Alcatel choose to publicly release about their products is up to them. I don't work for them either.

and there's a significant difference between maximum specs and deployed configuration.

8. Goose1981

Goose1981 Member

I ALSO have an awesome penis! What's that? You want to know how big it is?

Oh... so sorry... it's under NDA.

Blarp. I love NBN threads. So many posts, so few links.

9. Alper

Alper Member

tell me about it, all this back and forth and all im left with to read is "If you dont believe me then fuck off"

Anyone opposing FTTH without some proper links and evidence to backup there claims can fuck right off AFAIC, FTTH is clearly the most advanced internet we can get and to deny its deployment needs more than just an opinion.

Logic tells me that if all the numbers on FTTH vs FTTP aren't made public loudly by the libs then something is being suppressed on purpose. Especially considering FTTH is the better of the two. Afterall if ongoing FTTH costs were stupidly high, that shit would be front page news.

10. Apokalipse

Apokalipse Member

Why should it be? Power consumption figures are pretty ordinary information.
    There is already information publicly available, right now, which you would consider more sensitive than power consumption figures.

11. caspian

caspian Member

I thought I was a good deal more polite about it than that, but if you're expecting the dissemination of confidential information to win a casual debate on an internet forum, then you're going to be badly disappointed.

it's also the most expensive and time consuming to deliver, which is the point of the debate. that FTTP is the highest performing technology of the two isn't in dispute.

12. OldnBold

OldnBold Member

Imperious attitudes suck badly.

13. leighr

leighr Member

Dunno, I saw sensible rather than imperious. Lose argument on an Internet forum or potentially lose a job. I know I'd choose exactly the same as Caspian.

14. OldnBold

OldnBold Member

Let's be clear here Caspian knows more than most of us about the NBN (which I believe he still works for) .. waving that knowledge without providing supporting evidence sucks, even though he probably has an NDIS.

Best not involve yourself in the discussion .. hence my imperious attitude comment.

15. Alper

Alper Member

My point is that without the dissemination of said 'confidential' information then this isn't really a debate IMO. It's just speculation. Since you are the most informed amungst us some simple questions to help me wrap my head around this stupidity that is Australian telecom.

Is FTTH the more future proof of the two options?

Will FTTH cost less after the fact in regards to maintenance?

From what I've read here and there the answer to these questions seem to be a resounding yes. IF this is the case then wouldn't it be considered a good investment?

16. Apokalipse

Apokalipse Member

Most people who work with both technologies simply do not agree with that, especially long-term.
    The fact is, there are a lot of assumptions the coalition have not considered, or have wrong about their rollout plan. They will either need to spend much more doing FTTN as good as FTTN "should" be done, or they will end up with a network that will not get the results they expect it to (which is to say, not much better than we have now). Either way, it's a waste of time and money compared to FTTP, especially considering that even FTTN "done right" will have to see the copper replaced anyway. Because the copper just does not scale like Fibre does.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2013
  17. koopz

koopz Member

I really wish I could work with you mate, I really do.

I just don't understand your attitude.

- James

18. TRG.dOinK

TRG.dOinK Member

But who's made that debate about time?
    What's wrong with FTTH by 2021 or even 2025 for example?

At least we know we'll get something good at the end, I don't see what's the point of doing a rush job to get a less value for money network?

The only person here who is talking up time is Malcolm Turnbull, and to be honest, I really can't see areas already covered by HFC even getting FTTN earlier than 2019 anyway, and I'd rather wait an extra 2 years to get something far more substantial. Malcolm has already stated nothing will be done by 2017, and you'd have to factor in at least another 2 years planning and building time, and the fact that they might be kicked out next election.

I'll just lol if MT builds his FTTN 50Mbps in HFC areas by 2019 only for the next DOCSIS version to come out >100Mbps...

Last edited: Oct 3, 2013
  19. Aetherone

Aetherone Member

I don't believe I've ever said I don't believe you, but then again, you've not actually said anything of value to believe/refute. All you've said is its not on the radar, when basic analysis of the LNP proposed alternative reveals many billions of uncounted dollars are apparently not on the radar either.

Interesting phrasing there. I take it then, that the data reinforces, rather than refutes said armchair argument.

Thanks.

There sure is.

There's also one of the other points - that saving a small amount of Capex is moronic if it ends up costing a relatively huge Opex.

20. Gunna

Gunna Member

Why does it matter on the benefits if FTTP vs FTTN? How is it going to change the outcome if we keep flogging the same dead horse on here? Australia has spoken and the party who proposed FTTN won, having a dig at Caspian because he won't release info that could potentially harm his career is pointless.

If you want the info, put it in writing and send it to the NBN co or your local mp who should direct you in the right direction.