A Petition Pertaining to NBN in Australia - Lets get FTTH

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by Schnooper, Sep 11, 2013.

1. Exige

Exige (Banned or Deleted)

In my experience maximum specs are always over estimated, I highly doubt that the units would even draw close to their max spec. When I'm not on my phone I'll go looking for it.

2. Recharge

Recharge Member

you can only say Australia spoke on the libs main campaign policy speel, in which, NBN and communications were not even spoken about, or, barely about, piss off with the hint of "we now have a mandate" shit the libs are already sprouting. :tired: "we" didn't vote on the NBN.

3. looktall

looktall Working Class Doughnut

the liberal party released their broadband policy in april.
    they very clearly laid out their plans.
    it's not their fault that you didn't pay attention to it.

what "we" voted for was the liberal national coalition to take government and all of their policies are included in that arrangement.

4. Gunna

Gunna Member

It was known well before the election that FTTN was the libs plan. It wasn't news after the election that libs were using copper to the home so Australia had a choice and they chose the party that suited their needs. You may not like it but the ALP lost, now we wait and see. This whole NBN debate reeks of the 'GST will destroy Australia and our economy will suffer' debate that came about with Howard.

I'm not pro lib or pro ALP, i vote on the party that suits my needs at the time of the election and in this case the NBN was low on my list as I wanted a party that would focus on Australia instead of their own internal bullshit and i'm guessing a lot of Australians were the same.

5. Apokalipse

Apokalipse Member

I don't think you realise just how much of a mistake FTTN is:
    [​IMG]
    It simply will not scale into the future like Fibre will.

Actually, more people voted for parties that supported FTTP than FTTN. The Liberals won on preferences.
    Also, even Liberal party supporters often don't like FTTN.

It's not just that he won't release information. It's that he keeps telling us things that directly conflict with most other people in the industry, without supporting it.

I have been sending messages to Malcolm Turnbull.
    There's not much NBN Co can do directly to change the government's mind that they're not already doing.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2013
  6. Gunna

Gunna Member

I think i understand clearly on how it scales, I also understand ALP may have grossly under budgeted for fibre and under estimated on delivery time as well but i know I cannot do a god damn thing about it now the election is over so I move on to other things I can do that concern my family. My vote was cast and that's the best i can do short of changing careers and running for office.

Actually I dont care how they won.........i'll say it again........I don't care how they won, THEY WON so winging and bitching and debating on OCAU wont change that fact for another 3 years until we can vote again. As I said earlier, it is clear the NBN is low on most Australian concerns. Having NBN doesnt make the weekly budget any easier or fund that school\hospital any more, so even if the lib supporters don't like it they like their other policies so they won.

Post links or information relating to that fact and if Caspian can legally respond with his own links and info he will, he has in the past. He has clearly said he isn't going to post information that will cause him legal and professional problems to win a pissing contest on OCAU so deal with it. Post confidential information about your workplace and see how that goes for you.

So if the NBN co cannot do squat what do you think all the people demanding info from Caspian are going to do? How is it going to benefit us at all apart from Caspian being able to say "See told you so, ner ner ner" or the other side saying "Told you so, ner ner ner"

7. Apokalipse

Apokalipse Member

Do you actually think Malcolm Turnbull's lie of $90 billion is anywhere near accurate?
    http://stevej-on-bband.blogspot.com.au/2013/08/nbn-disputing-four-turnbull-stress.html
    The fact is, there is no evidence whatsoever to suggest they're even going to be a little bit over budget.
    There have been delays:

the biggest of which so far was the negotiations with Telstra to get access to the ducts, which took about six months.
    And of course there's condition of the pits, which is Telstra's responsibility.

Not with that attitude. With enough public pressure, yes we can make politicians change their minds.
    Especially when you consider that the coalition's plan is, simply put, unrealistic compared to the current FTTP plan (including the fact that Telstra has basically been lying about the condition of the copper network, the assumptions in the coalition's plan that are wrong and the assumptions that are missing), there is a strong case to be made for them to change their minds.

"Whinging and bitching" can and has got things changed before. And this is something that is important for a lot of people. We know for a fact that Malcolm Turnbull has really felt the pressure put onto him on this issue.

Actually, it's more like they didn't like the Labor government. The Liberal government didn't even get that many primary votes either.

We can and have done so.
    When it comes to Caspian, it's similar to how there are those rare religious scientists who actually know a lot about science, accepts the theory of evolution and the big bang, etc, but of course are blinkered when it comes to their religion.
    Virtually everyone in the industry supports FTTP, including people who vote Liberal. That is a fact, and there is good reason for that.

Put pressure on Malcolm Turnbull to say that Australia does not want their shitty FTTN plan to go ahead, keep debunking myths such as Malcolm Turnbull's lie of the $90 billion blowout, expose the FTTN plan's flaws.
    Basically, make it clear to the Liberal party that people will not forgive them for ruining the best broadband policy Australia has ever had.

You don't think the unpopularity this sort of discussion creates for the Liberal party matters to them? And I don't mean only here. This sort of discussion is happening everywhere.

8. caspian

caspian Member

correct to all other than the suckage, although that's a personal point of view.

I don't believe it was imperious, or superior, or anything else. I gave an opinion based on personal experience. I did so because I thought the discussion might benefit from a few informed facts, but that doesn't mean there isn't a line I am not going to cross, and sometimes and the person making the comment knows where it is.

the same, by the way, applies to previous employment.

then that's an example of trust.

I could poke holes in the financial arguments of both sides of the debate all day too, and while some of it might be informed, other stuff would be wild guesses. unless it's released willingly of FOI'd we just don't get to see the inner workings of government and the deals it makes. we just get to vote on which set of clowns exemplifies the least worst representation of the point of view of 50.1% of the population (preferences distributed).

when did facts come into it? and I'm pretty sure the average person has precisely ZERO way of determining whether a stated "fact" is true or not at the scale involved.

you may make the inference if you wish, but again - it's armchair experts at work, with a very small view of the big picture. which I suspect you only get at a rather stratified level.

capex cost you beforehand. opex costs you later. something things don't happen at all if they have to be paid for entirely beforehand.

yep. we effectively vote for a policy bundle, and whether we think we can trust the people involved to actually:

(a) do what they said, and
    (b) do what we'd like in cases not specifically covered by stated policy.

a bit politicky, but a somewhat related tangent - I always love listening to people who believe the deluded arguments they were fed about Julia Gillard "lying" about the hackneyed quote "There will be no carbon tax under the government I lead".

the reality is that Gillard didn't lead her government at all. she co-led it, under permanent sufferance of kowtowing to a set of minority radicals who represented a tiny proportion of the voting public's expressed wishes, due to a stupid electoral system.

had Gillard actually been in a position to lead, the outcome might be very different now.

the other one is "We didn't get the government we voted for". yes, we did. we were stupid enough to vote in a minority coalition government where a set of loonies got disproportionate sway over the agenda.

at least we appear to have learnt from that experience.

9. AthlonMan

AthlonMan (Banned or Deleted)

You work for NBN Caspian?

10. looktall

looktall Working Class Doughnut

he does .

11. Aetherone

Aetherone Member

Politics translation: Capex appears on the balance sheet while you're in power. Opex turns up for some other clown after you've retired on a cushy lifetime pension. :thumbup: