1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

A router for the disillusioned networking guru?

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by trackhappy, May 9, 2016.

1. Smokin Whale

Smokin Whale Member

Yeah... which wouldn't make the RPI a good choice.

2. Hive

Hive Member

As much as i like edgerouters, the GUI is shit for some things (e.g. amazon AWS) and if you really want to learn Vyatta there's the CLI which opens up the world.

Doesn't feel as open as a Mikrotik is from a GUI perspective. Billion/Mikrotik RB951 combo in Bridged mode has held up my home ADSL for over a year without a drop - much wow very recommend.

We run a handful of sites using these - simple BIllion ADSL Bridged to a 951, some sites using this combo and 4G USB dongles with failover scripts :)

Last edited: May 11, 2016
  3. elvis

elvis OCAU's most famous and arrogant know-it-all

Not for an SMB pfSense box, no. But that's specifically due to pfSense's (and BSD's) poor support for the RPi.

Again, for a home user dealing with <6 users on NBN 100/40, it's more than adequate under something like Raspbian Jessie. The driver support in the Linux kernel for the USB Ethernet card on the RPi is excellent. I've given it a solid flogging to see what it can handle, and it's quite impressive considering the low end hardware. Quite easy to get full bandwidth and decent latency out of the 100mbit/s interface, even when under substantial CPU and IO load.

4. Sphinx

Sphinx Member

My Billion BiPAC 7800VDPX has 100+day uptime on NBN 100/40. Also runs VOIP, Wireless 5Ghz and about 10+ connected devices.
    Set and forget indeed. :thumbup:

5. lavi

lavi Member

Cisco 887VA

6. ir0nhide

ir0nhide Member

Apparently Ciscos are "too hard" for the networking guru.

7. yanman

yanman Member

Network Eng here.. bit confused by op's title... by networking guru do you mean home networking? Only reason I have a fritzbox at home is laziness. I'm always "just ready to" replace it with an ISR or mikrotik or Vyatta :D

8. NSanity

NSanity Member

i fkn hate fritzboxes with a passion.

9. yanman

yanman Member

Aye me too. Wireless on it has been utter shit. But as i say... lazy :/

I've just had NBN fibre hooked up so when i sign up to a service I'll make that the point to tidy my shit up :p Might have a play with an Edge Router or Mikrotik

10. NismoR31

NismoR31 Member

I just got an ASUS DSL-AC68U as i needed VDSL support for my FTTB NBN that just got attached to our building. Got connected tonight ;D
    I had a 7800N but that doesn't do VDSL

[​IMG]

5GHz wifi is friggin fast too.

yes this is a brag post :tongue:

11. holdennutta

holdennutta Member

With only 47/17mbit? :confused::confused:

:p

12. NismoR31

NismoR31 Member

when you come from about 10/0.6 it is! :lol:

13. holdennutta

holdennutta Member

It'll feel like a rocketship! Especially the upload that's what I noticed the most going from 20/1 to 100/40.

14. itsmydamnation

itsmydamnation Member

NOT EVEN ON nbn YO....

[​IMG]

15. holdennutta

holdennutta Member

Dat latency!

16. ewok85

ewok85 Member

He did want something for a "network guru" - nothing special in that post

If you wanted to be fancy it supports OSPF and BGP for fancy routing, and all sorts of fun layer 2 technologies. You'd probably buy a small Cisco router if you go that far down the rabbit hole.

~200Mbit for a USB adapter on a RPI, enough if your WAN is 100Mbit or less. The issue with WAN facing devices is the services - that's what eats up your CPU/memory.

The advantage of a RPI is that they are popular, well documented, and increasingly well documented. On the down side they have a short lifespan so for an application like this I would pass.

My first pick for this is always a PC Engines APU - it's fast enough to do anything, and you just buy what you need. The base board with power, storage and a case is US$140 ex. shipping. For a low power, no fan, no moving part 3-port router box which you can flash with anything that's a really good deal.

It's like 25 lines of config that that you can copy paste directly from the config examples...

Last edited: May 11, 2016
  17. l_ QuadX_l

l_ QuadX_l Member

The TP-Link AC1900 C9 covers all my NBN/Gigabit/USB3/Dual2.5/5Ghz Wifi networking/sharing needs. Bought it on special from Umart, I think for around $160 to $180 on special a year ago and I LOVE it! So easy to set up!! Unfortunately Umart only seems to sell the D9 unit for $259 not on special.

http://www.tp-link.com.au/products/details/cat-9_Archer-C9.html

edit: Just noticed Officeworks have the C9 for $199 on special!

Last edited: May 12, 2016
  18. bubblegoose

bubblegoose Member

In Australia that counts surely haha. Faster than 5/.3 is a win for all Australians :lol:

19. theSeekerr

theSeekerr Member

While I'm very impressed with the performance of my C9's (I use one as an NBN router, and the other as a wireless bridge to the office - rock solid 270 megabits through a couple of walls), I'm not sure if a "Networking Guru" would tolerate them - they're very consumer-y routers. Waiting through a 45 second reboot just to change a firewall rule gets pretty annoying.

20. holdennutta

holdennutta Member

Hi Malcolm! :D:D:p