A stormtrooper finds love

Discussion in 'The Gallery' started by dche5390, Aug 8, 2016.

1. dche5390

dche5390 Member

This was one of those on-a-whim shoot ideas that somehow made it past my imagine and into reality. Knowing that a friend's partner owned a legit original Star Wars stormtrooper costume, I had an idea to shoot them against the backdrop of Vivid Sydney.

I had no idea how difficult an assignment I had gotten myself into.

From crowd control to the freezing late May weather to dusting off my on-location off-camera flash, I have to be 100% honest. I was completely overwhelmed and stressed out during those 2-hours that we spent in the city. And shortly after the first location (Opera House steps), I gave up on the idea of mixing Vivid Sydney lights with my friends.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Looking back, I would have planned things better. As a creative, I know where I've left myself down. But when I asked Mandy at the end of the shoot how she felt, her response took me by surprise (in a good way). So at the end of the day, I'm pretty stoked that we did this.

And for those of you who scrolled it all the way down here, I've included a behind-the-scenes video that I had a mate produce for me.

2. simplelogik

simplelogik Member

Cool BTS Dan. I wish I could do that :)

Nice series in the composition and toning. I would put the light a lot close to the subject though, particularly with the close up on the girl (#4), probably put the softbox at the distance of around 1-2 x diameter to the subject. Pretty girls looks better with soft light (I think) :)

3. OP
    OP
    dche5390

dche5390 Member

Too difficult to shoot composite on the night due to crowds (or to clone out light source) so defaulted to higher power + longer distance of subject from softbox. In hindsight, should have done it anyway.

4. Digit

Digit Member

loved the video and the shots, good on you for turning one of your ideas into actuality, even if it didn't go as planned.

5. Frozen_Hell

Frozen_Hell Member

I really like the shots as standalone photos, but not sure they tell a story as a sequence though to fit into your thread title.

You totally needed to get your friend's partner to put her hair into a Leia side buns, looks like she has the hair length to do it too :p

6. MichaelRitter

MichaelRitter Member

That's a pretty cool concept. I bet you got heaps of weird looks!

7. Dark Orange

Dark Orange Member

Isn't he a little short to be a stormtrooper?

8. AmB

AmB Member

Lol, nice one. :thumbup:

And great concept OP, good on you for having a go at making your idea come to life.