A week in Vietnam (Many Pics)

Discussion in 'The Gallery' started by mr_wrxman, Sep 28, 2008.

1. mr_wrxman

mr_wrxman Member

I was in Vietnam for about one and half weeks for a funeral and and also had some time to travel around for a few days and here are some photos. C&C appreciated, all taken with a D80 + Tamron 17-50mm f2.8

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 28, 2008
  2. OP
    OP
    mr_wrxman

mr_wrxman Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Also have an 11 image panorama I'm going to upload soon as well as a stop motion video of me being a passenger on a scooter going through Ho Chi Minh City (formerly Saigon).

Last edited: Sep 28, 2008
  3. aramis

aramis Member

Nice selection of images dude. They remind me of some fond memories of my trip there a little while ago.

4. AMD2400

AMD2400 Member

loving the colours from your 2nd post,

24 and 26 are my fav :thumbup:

5. magic_kermy

magic_kermy Member

#15 is one of the better Post Office shots I've seen a while:thumbup:
    Top work on the whole lot.

6. lefiestaeels

lefiestaeels Member

I was looking for snake wine when I was over there last year but couldn't find any :lol: Those fried milk puff things in #34 are really nice too haha.

7. chylld83

chylld83 Member

i love 1, 2 and 7 (especially the action and "there-ness" of 1.) although it looks like you stole 7 from the cover of a cookbook :D

8. OP
    OP
    mr_wrxman

mr_wrxman Member

Thanks for the comments guys. Much appreciated for my first post in here since getting my DSLR.

There's actually a story behind number 1, that's actually my cousin and I'm sitting as a passenger on a scooter. We were trying to block off traffic to allow a convoy of 3 buses, multiple vans and a couple of cars to get to crematorium (i think that's what it's caleld). And from the pics, traffic in vietnam is just hell.

9. maco

maco Member

#1, #7, #35 and #42 for me. I particularly like the way #42 looks ominous with the darkness creeping in from the right.

Hope you enjoyed the trip!

10. buism

buism Member

Really enjoyable set, lots of variety! From the looks of things, vietnam is modernising, not the picture i left it 20 years ago. Well as you would expect.

Btw, #7 did you go to a fancy restaurant for that? how much did it cost if you happen to remember... just cos my mum makes that all the time hehe.

PS. #1 is awesome, feels like im there.

11. chylld83

chylld83 Member

that's insane!! did you actually manage to do it?

#1 is the closest i've seen to what i think 'real photography' is. actually capturing a moment that speaks for itself, rather than showing off fancy lighting or dof etc (which i admit is all i can do atm lol)

12. Takumi

Takumi Member

nice photos!!!

i am thinking about going to vietnam, just wondering how much did u budget? i am thinking of going for about 2-3 weeks =)

13. OP
    OP
    mr_wrxman

mr_wrxman Member

I don't quite remember exactly, but I think it was around $10 - 15, was my grandpa's so not sure. Was quite a fancy restaurant, if any of you ever go, it's on the corner and you can see #6 outside the window.

Yeah we managed to somehow get the whole convoy through and in hindsight, I'm bloody amazed that we could. Once I actually get through to making the video, it'll give you a better understanding as to how hard it really is.

Umm I was there for 10 days with my parents and since it wasn't exactly a holiday there we didn't really spend that much. Airfares for three were about $4k since we bought the tickets the day before.

Food is really cheap depending where you eat, if you're going to the smaller restaurants on the streets, $10 will feed 3 - 4 people. If you go to fancy places in the CBD, food is on par here to a small restaurant, expect $10 - 20 per head. Taxi is the best way to travel and although I can't exactly tell you by distance, a 15 minute trip would cost about $10 or less.

Overall on the 10 days, my mum and I spent under $1k on food and travel, (at least 2 $10 taxi fares a day to the temple). Although we were staying at a relative's place so accomodation was free. Just be careful when buying things from the market, just use your own judgement as to how much an item is worth and offer them about 20% less. When they say they can't, bring it back up to your original price, if they still refuse, walk away, most times they'll follow you to sell it, if you miss out there's other stalls selling the same thing.

A trip to Vietnam is rather cheap and I think you'd easily keep it under $1k a week, including spending money (lots of cheap fake things to buy).

Thanks again for all the comments guys, much appreciated.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2008
  14. newmankl

newmankl Member

Excellent set, like most it reminds me of my trip there earlier this year,

newman.

15. Commie_Mike

Commie_Mike Member

someone isn't a fan of landscape :lol:

fantastic photos, love the colours in 21 and 22.

16. Deckham

Deckham Member

Nice shots there - some postcard-worthy.

#1 is just fantastic.
    Love #40