A Windows XP build

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade Worklogs' started by CRTified, Nov 11, 2021.

1. alch

alch Member

Cant go past Total Annihilation or any CnC or Unreal Tourny
    Sure, could argue win 98 but still played on XP ;p

Pierre32 likes this.
  2. miicah

miicah Member

RTS: Krush Kill N Destroy, Dark Reign, Black & White
    Racing Games: Motorcross Madness + Monster Truck Madness, Midtown Madness (man MS made a few of these), Midnight Club series
    Sim: Freelancer
    FPS: MDK

Pierre32 likes this.
  3. TaXy DriVar

TaXy DriVar Member

Half Life 2
    Battlefield 1942-Vietnam-2-Bad Company 2-2142
    FarCry
    Crysis
    Civilisation 3
    Lord of the rings Battle for Middle Earth
    C&C Generals Zero Hour
    Serious Sam 1 / 2
    Frontlines Fuel for War
    Age of Empires
    Fear
    Trackmania Sunrise
    NeverWinter Nights
    NFS Most Wanted

Just to name a few

Pierre32 likes this.
  4. Pierre32

Pierre32 Member

A few weeks ago this would have ruled out old GTA titles. But given the recent "remaster" disaster, and the removal of original versions from stores, there's no better time to go OG. So maybe Vice City if you're inclined.

5. OP
    OP
    CRTified

CRTified Member

Totes! I was busier back then and skimmed a lot of titles including the GTA's of the time. Honestly I think GTA3 was the last one I spent any real time in. So that's a good suggestion cheers!

[ As are they all, thanks also to alch miicah TaXy DriVar :thumbup: I will compile all these recommendations soon and finalise my list for the build ]

Following my initial intention, it later occurred to me that restricting to titles which have had no reissue or remaster whatsoever is more wide-reaching I'd realised. Low-cost digital content distribution means there's a heck of a lot out there (thanks enlightened-future-I-was-promised! you came through in some ways!). So I revise my game choice approach to a more practical Preferred Version sentiment, where, as <-- them back thair words suggest :eek: , I tend towards games whose preferred version runs on XP. :)

Last edited: Nov 17, 2021
    Pierre32 likes this.
  6. OP
    OP
    CRTified

CRTified Member

Slowly making setup progress in spare time.

A nice base setup with utility programs and an initial array of games, including several suggested above:

Desktop.png

I now remember how fiddly a lot of this era's setup was. Partly by choice, of course - nobody's stopping anyone using a stock out-of-box experience.

But if you stubbornly want the theme you want (in the above case, "Luna Element (4)"), or a particular game wants an exacting dependency environment that other software doesn't quite like, or a million other everyday tweaker scenarios, then you dive into the ever-dodgy world over outdated hacks and 3rd party utilities of god-knows-what origin and quality... now with the added joy of +1 decade of obsolescence and dead linkery.

Right click menu.png

Thankfully a few old CD's full of crap-I-used-to-use are still preserved in my stash, which slightly eased the recreation, and provided a regular reminder of the value of keeping notes and collections which can at the time seem fairly inconseqential - "who would even want to do this now?? let alone LATER!!" - but later (when you've come full circle and want to make your old setups again) save many hours indeed.

Not that I had a great deal preserved to draw upon, but even the few things which survived were of far greater value in hindsight. Burned CDROM's of miscellania, backups of documents from a particular period, and so on.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2021
    Vanne, JaC, adz and 2 others like this.
  7. Vanne

Vanne Member

Defs for me would be:

Warhammer: Dark Omen. (youll boot this nativly on XP)
    Warhammer: Mark of Chaos
    Warcraft3 and its expansion
    Baldurs gate series: Depending if you can run it at 800x600 (anything bigger than that makes my eyes water and reduces the pixel art)
    UT ofcourse ;)
    Halo (original)
    Halo 2
    FEAR
    FEAR2
    NeverWinterNights
    Warcraft (original)