A7V133 and problem getting DMA to work

Discussion in 'Other CPUs and chipsets' started by runequest2, Jul 23, 2001.

1. runequest2

runequest2 Member

I have a A7V133 motherboard and I am using the promise controller to run my Maxtor 30 GB hard drive .this is dual booted with win 2k and win 98se( it is not working in win 98se. I havenet even tried to get it to work on win 2k yet) . I am not able to get the HP 9100i or my BTC 8x dvdrom drive to use DMA. they are installed on the primary and secondary IDE channels as master with no slave drives attached. The BTC dvdrom drive is new however the HP 9100i did work with DMA enabled on my now second computer on a P3V4X.
    I downloaded the newest 4 in 1 drivers and that did nothing.

any suggestions?

By the way I am glad to see the forums back. I missed them. too bad the ole P3V4X is gone. everyone helped me a bunch in that forum :)

I hope this is the right one for this. I think it is a via problem not just a troubleshooting problem.

specs:
    A7V133
    1.2 Ghz athlon overclocked to 1.33 Ghz
    512 MB crucial cas 2 sdram
    Maxtor HD 30 GB 7200 rpm
    SB Live MP3 5.1
    BTC Dvdrom drive 8x
    HP 9100 i CDRW
    Antec sx830 case
    300 watt antec power supply
    us robotics pci winmodem

Last edited: Jul 23, 2001
  2. Whisper

Whisper Member

3. lucee

lucee Member

A7V

The reason I just joined this forum was because of the trouble I've had with this A7V I recently bought. Thought I might be able to find out what's going on with it. Never so seen so many blue screens in all my life! even the Bios froze up on it a couple of times! I've updated every driver on the board and Bios but its still as buggy as hell, won't run a CD burner, Zip disc only appears every now and then and freezes as soon as I try to use it, it comes of standby minus the mouse and locks up at least a couple of times a day. I'm starting to wonder if ASUS has been contracting its mobo construction out to Pc Chips!

4. OP
    OP
    runequest2

runequest2 Member

bios 1005
    turned out the site you referred me to solved my problem. it seems that the SB 16 emulation takes resources that are needed to enable DMA on the via ide controller. so every time you enable DMA it reboots and can not enable it due to the SB16 emulation. I had to disable SB emulation in the control panel. then I reinstalled the 4 in 1 4.32 drivers. enabled DMA and it stayed and worked :)

thanks!!

5. Whisper

Whisper Member

No Problems

6. jcleong

jcleong Member

i got the similar problem with my abit KT7A mobo. Can anione help?

7. OP
    OP
    runequest2

runequest2 Member

do you have a sb audio card? if so try what i did and see if it solves your DMA problem. it solved mine.

if not give us more info and i will see if i find anything at that site whisper suggested :)

8. Whisper

Whisper Member

This is all he will need

http://www.viahardware.com/faq/kt7/kt7faq.htm

I know for a fact that quiet a number of sound card issues are addressed in this FAQ as it where I found out about my MX300 stuff!

Hope that helps

Cheers

9. lucee

lucee Member

I think I've worked out most of my prob with the board. I had updated the utility for temp etc and it didn't overwrite the old program and both were running on the system at the same time. I also installed the K6 patch even though I've got a Duron. ITs a lot more stable now, although no where near as stable as the Abit I had before.

10. lucee

lucee Member

Another thing I did was toss the 7.2 watt fan and put a 2.8 watt on it, seemed to get more stable after that, perhaps the power drawn from the 250 watt supply was too much?

11. Ghost of Lauda

Ghost of Lauda Member

Please forgive my ignorance

Please forgive my ignorance, but when you talk about getting the DMA(Direct Memory Access) to work, are you referring to having the system use DMA as a method of communicating between your drives and system???

If that is the case, what happens when you don't have DMA running??

I have two friends, each with ASUS A7V133 MB's and their CD_ROM data transfer rates(with a Athlon 1200) are much slower than my PII 400, when it comes to installing games. Is it likely they do not have DMA working with their CD-Roms???

Thanks in Advance

12. Whisper

Whisper Member

Look in device manager and see if the DMA option is ticked or not.

I have a Sony 50X CD-ROM drive connected to the ATA100 connectors, and it frigging flies.

I am able to do a full Office 97 installation in 5 minutes flat!