A7V133 or KT7A????

Discussion in 'Other CPUs and chipsets' started by Grozza, Jul 3, 2001.

1. Grozza

Grozza Member

hiya everyone
    i am in the market for a new comp, and have narrowed my search down to an athlon 1.2ghz and an Abit KT7A or Asus A7V133
    but i can't decide between the two new mobo's!!!!!!!
    i have heard lots of complaints about the KT7A and SbLive cards, of which i have one, of the value variety
    so does the A7V133 have the same memory tweaks etc that the KT7A does, namely 4 way interleave, and turbo mode etc etc
    also can KT7A owners share their experiences with setting up their computer

2. MoNk{LAH}

MoNk{LAH} Member

Go wif the a7v133.....the abit kt7a has too many problems with it.
    I'm not too sure about the features of the a7v133, so i cant comment on them

3. Pitstop

Pitstop Member

Well....I actually have both.

The KT7A has more memory tweaking options than the A7V133 which is a bit of bonus. I've had problems with my SBLive & the KT7A so I just use a GameTheatre instead. I've never had any probs with the A7V133 & my SB. The KT7A will run a cpu cooler if it's idling, were as my A7V doesn't allow a HLT command with the 1004 BIOS I'm running, but that may change with a newer version - not 100% sure!
    I also prefer the HP370 RAID controller on the KT7A than the Promise use on the A7V, plus the A7V only does RAID 0 '(only valid if u use RAID)

If I had to pick again, I'd probably lean towards the A7V133. :confused: I think.

4. OP
    OP
    Grozza

Grozza Member

i have a SbLive!

is there any patches etc that can fix the Sb prob on the KT7A???

5. Whisper

Whisper Member

If you spend any amount of time surfing the various hardware forums, you will notice that there seems to be a lot of questions regarding the HighPoint Controllers on the ABIT boards, and hardly any quetsions regarding the Promise Controllers on the ASUS boards.

I leave you to decide what it all means!

6. Powermike

Powermike Member

Be careful with the Abit KT7A! Is a very fast board but has a cold boot issue with the ASUS 7700 graphics card, heard from many others also...

Powermike

7. Stormbringer

Stormbringer Member

wahahahaha.... good joke buddy!
    the kt7a is the overclockers choice... it's the better board, more stable and it's not ASUS! but i strongly recommend the raid-version!

yep, i had a p3v4x one day... never buy anything from asus again... and the asus-vidcards? way too expensive! so why bother with a fancy cold-boot problem?

... last but not least... the highpoint is faster than the promise and more reliable.

8. Powermike

Powermike Member

9. Stormbringer

Stormbringer Member

mike,
    i don't have any of these problems, and this voltage prob doesn't bother me!

i'm a regular of the german athlon-forum and imho there is the same amount of weird problems for both boards! (thanx to via ;) )

like i said, i jumped asus after the p3v4x-disaster and bought my first abit (kt7). this board was rock-solid, and later i changed to the famous kt7a! there is no better kt133a-board available!

ok, maily i bought abit because it's not asus! perhaps i try epox next time... but maybe not... i can smell the kg7-raid already!

10. Supremo

Supremo Member

A7V133 all the way...........
    u can go for the RAID version or NON -RAID version which is about 50 bux cheaper.....
    though I dunno if u need RAID 0 only!

ABit n Asus are both good boards n both overclock very well!
    I just think that Abit have better support for their products n have more frequent bios updates!
    I own the A7V (KT133) n havent had a problem since day 1!
    but Ive seen my mates Abit board givin him heaps of problems!

the best part about the A7V range of boards is that...... they have this small "daughter" board with all the capacitors etc on it... that way it "clears" up the mess around the CPU socket n gives u just that lil bit more space to attach a bigger HSF or mebbe watercooling kit etc!!

having said that..... I think overclocking wise both boards are pretty even...... its just that the A7V133 gets ahead in stability n also the comfort factor of not having too many components around the socket puts the A7V133 slightly ahead than the Abit KT7a!

cheers

11. Teddy2

Teddy2 Iron Folder

Well I have the KT7A, SBLive & used to have the ASUS V7700 Geforce2 Ultra & never encountered any problems at all. In fact I had the P3V4X before this m/b and just shifted everything across w/o even reformatting. I just plugged HDD & a shiny Athlon 1.33 and just hammered away with the games. Max stable overclock low 1400's so not too shabby. The only minor issue I had was losing the secondary IDE, newer 4 in 1's seemsed to fix that. A BIOS flash and new IDE cables and the problem has never reoccured.
    I recently ripped out the ASUS V7700 GF2 Ultra and put in a V8200 GF3 perfect combo.
    Mind you I never had any major dramas with my P3V4X that I could not fix either. Now there was a m/b that was a bit fussy with my V7700.
    Teddy :)
    I reckon the A7V133 would have been a good choice too as I reckon ASUS do a decent job with m/b too, I also have 2 CUSL2-C's that are running 1GHZ CPU's well.

12. OP
    OP
    Grozza

Grozza Member

what tweaks does the Abit have that the asus doesn't??

i will be overclocking, especially memory, so i would liek top know

13. seaQuest_AMD

seaQuest_AMD Member

Go with the ABit KT7A/RAID, very stable and fast, overclockable motherboard.

14. akura

akura Member

well i just got a A7V133 and its been running ROCK SOLID. things seem a bit flakey when i want to change voltages (how the hell does it NOT boot at a voltage when it runs fine at the lower one?!)... but thats probably just me trying to figure out the ASUS bios.

ive also got a KT7, which im sitting on atm and i can tell you i had problems with this sucker. firstly it wouldnt boot when i first got it, then it had conflicts, then it just DIED and i had to wait 4 weeks for a replacement! But in its favour, its verrrry easy to tweak due to the softmenu bios and abundance of options!

So in short, the ASUS boards seem to be rock solid stable, but seem to lack a few bits here and there in the bios tweaking department, whereas the ABIT boards can be a bit flakey and tempramental at times, but their tweaking options are great!

15. Addict4

Addict4 Member

I had a Abit KT7Raid and it fell over and died after six months of perfect use.I had it replaced with a KT7a Raid and have had no problems at all with it.I have heard good and bad things about both boards but the biggest issue seem to be that the Abit mobos die for no real reason more so than the ASUS.

16. Deanodriver

Deanodriver Member

I run KT7A with SB Live and have so far had no problems....
    One of my friends wants to buy a new mobo and is deciding to buy either the A7V133-C or the KT7A. I think he will buy the ASUS. There are a few things I don't like about this mobo.

1. It takes 20seconds to go from the power button to starting to boot the OS. That could be because of the 448MB of RAM in my board :)

2. I cannot get it to boot of the CD at all :(
    I don't like this at all, especially when installing Win2K or Linux. However a BIOS flash could fix it, but I'm reluctant to flash my BIOS.

17. FragieSpice

FragieSpice Member

anandtech have a recent round up of th KT133A motherboards

http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.html?i=1489&p=4

winners were ASUS A7V133 and the Iwill KK266.

I have the KT7A, i have had a few problems with SBLive, (mostly due to the SBLive software in Win2k, not irq conflicts). As soon as you get the board i'd flash to the latest bios and use the latest via 4-in-1 drivers.

The KT7A board overclocks quite nicely, mines very stable at 150 mhz FSB.

Just don't use an internal zip drive with these KT133A motherboards.......major headaches.

FragieSpice

18. Greystorm

Greystorm Member

When I upgraded a few months back these two boards were what I narrowed down to.

I chose the KT7A.

Brought it home, got it up and running ok, but then *hard lockup*.

It would lock randomly, and also seemed to lockup within a couple of minutes of windows loading. I tried literally everything to fix it, with much advice from the good people here. If I installed win98se without the SB Live Value, it would not lock up within 2 minutes of windows loading, but still occaisionally locked at random.

I won't list everything I tried to fix it... it was 3 days of pure hell.

I solved the problem by returning the board and purchasing an Asus A7V133.

This board ate everything up :). I did have a problem with a couple of lockups (like maybe 3 or 4 total in a few weeks), and this seemed cured by a BIOS flash. Now I run it with no issues, no lockups, it is sweet as.

From personal experience I would recommend the A7V133 and not the KT7A.

19. FragieSpice

FragieSpice Member

greystorm i remember those hard lockup KT7A posts from the old messageboard :D

the bios update on the KT7A does solve a lot of problems, but if you want stability i'd go with asus i guess.

20. Teddy2

Teddy2 Iron Folder

Out of the two mobos which one will support the Palominos?
    I bought the ABIT (still running good after 5mths) hoping I could slip a Palomino in when they become more widely available as the ABIT has 3 phase power (better than the ASUS).
    Then again DDR will become cheaper and more widely avaiable making the KT133A chipset mobos redundant anyway.
    So we will all wish we bought DDR boards? DDR ram is certainly a lot cheaper now!
    Teddy :)