A7V266 and USB-lockups

Discussion in 'Other CPUs and chipsets' started by andretti, Aug 8, 2001.

1. andretti

andretti Member

I´ve recently bought the new Asus A7V266-motherboard. Yesterday I stumbled across something very strange. After gradually increasing the FSB in the bios I discovered that my USB-units, I use a USB-mouse (microsoft) and a scanner (agfa), ceased to function. This appeared above a FSB of 137 Mhz. Backing down below 138 Mhz made them "come back" again!

Browsing the net I found a note at overclockers.com linking to MSI support were they stated that there is a "flaw" in the KT266 chipset which currently are limiting the use of USB-units when overclocking the FSB above 137 Mhz!

Anyone who experienced something similar or anyone who would like to comment on that?

p.s. My system specs are as follows:

ASUS A7V266 motherboars, rev 1.05, bios 1001c
    AMD Thunderbird 1.2 Ghz 266 FSB
    Samsung PC-2100 DDR memory, 2X256Mb
    IBM 60 GXP 41 Gb diskdrive
    Adaptec UW2940 SCSI-card
    Plextor CD-drive and CD-writer
    Creative Geforce card
    USB-mouse Intelli Explorer Microsoft
    USB-scanner E50 Agfa
    Win Me

:cool:

2. auenf

auenf Member

theres a thread in amdzone forums, go post in there, its a chipset problem, im sure of that now, only options are no USB and high fsb's, or max 137fsb and usable USB

so glad my Ali Magik 1 works perfectly at 146fsb

Enf...

3. OP
    OP
    andretti

andretti Member

A7V266 USb-problem

Thanks!

Just read the whole "shebang" and it´s probably the same with this revision of the A7V266. It seems like I have to ditch my USB-stuff or buy a USB-PCI card...

I really like this Asus motherboard!

4. auenf

auenf Member

if the USB-PCI card will like the high FSB speeds too ;)

btw, what rev A7V266 board do you have? (dont worry, i just re-read your first post)

and Voodoo, if you are reading this, post your rev too.

btw, i noticed while reading in the anandtech forums http://forums.anandtech.com/message...1&highlight_key=y&keyword1=KT266&keyword2=USB it seems that the problem doesnt happen when you are using a powered hub or a addin PCI-USB card, and that at 166fsb (when /5 pci divider is available) the USB will work again, Voodoo, keep that in mind when testing

Enf...

Last edited: Aug 9, 2001
  5. OP
    OP
    andretti

andretti Member

A7V266 and USB...

Hi auenf!

Yesterday I ditched the USB-mouse and now it´s all go!

At the moment my FSB at 148 and we are not even close to the limit yet. But I will hold back for a while, untill my new and improved cooling have been built.

In the end I suppose that my Samsung memory will be limiting as all the reviews so far show that a FSB above 150 would be obtainable.

Now I´m really planning to buy that PCI/USB-card!

6. auenf

auenf Member

few things i found out while reading around on this subject, if you use a self powered hub (one that has its own powerpack) you can continue to use your USB

another thing that *may* work is if you get 166fsb, enable the USB again, it will aparently work again

Enf...