aaNet launches ADSL2+, joins iPrimus with 200GB* plan

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by Falls, May 30, 2008.

1. Falls

Falls Member

from www.whirlpool.net.au homepage

TPG is in for some competiton!

F.

2. TrennaHowar

TrennaHowar Member

holy smokes!! only if only these were unbundled... I'd be a happy little camper... no leecher mmm :Paranoid:

3. RoSWeLL

RoSWeLL Member

I've been with aaNet for well over a year and find them to be good value, not very low pings like the major ISP's but I don't game much so thats okay.

I will be moving to this plan as soon as they tell me they have enabled ADSL2 ports in the exchange which is on the list :D

I'm currently with their 8mbit 32gb plan with 33% off peak quota counted 1am -9am

The offpeak time on this plan is short 3am to 9am but thats not so bad when you just schedule your downloads.

4. ma77

ma77 Member

Sounds good, I can't get ADSL2+ though... :rolleyes:

5. ir0nhide

ir0nhide Member

These new huge caps are placing a lot of confidence in off peak downloads; i would be slightly uncomfortable with maintaining performance during these periods. off peak is the new peak :lol:

6. aznpsuazn

aznpsuazn Member

off peak is so short and unrealistic!

7. round

round (Banned or Deleted)

who have announced the 500gig plan.

who sees isp's going bankrupt?

8. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

If these "sleep hour gig" plans are going to become more frequent there are going to be a lot of sleepless nerds, or a higher demand for schedulers : p

9. jas0nt

jas0nt Member

utorrent scheduler FTW

10. Doug11

Doug11 Member

I've had iPrimus for a while and the performance has always been superb. Never any slowing down and always the same low pings.

I think this is because the discount ISP's are full of data hogs who just thrash the pants out of their connection. Iprimus used to be a bit of a secret of mine as everyone raves about the other ISP's yet mine works 100%.

I hope the 200gb plans aren't too popular.......

11. silverbullet

silverbullet Member

Yer i'm a faithful iprimus customer myself, never had any dropouts or other probs with them ever in the two locations i've been with them, only on a 12gb plan at the moment as i need to save a bit of money but when the mrs goes back to work eventually i'll definatley look into it, offpeak don;t bother me at all just use a scheduler :thumbup:

12. WetSandwich

WetSandwich Member

Does anyone (reliably) know how much data / maintaining connections costs during these off peak times when heavily used as compared to not being used?

Surely the people who get these plans will all be maxing it out every night, placing so much more load and expense on off peak time than other ISPs would even have at peak?

13. matt89

matt89 Member

rapidshare + flashget = FTW
    No ADSL 2 Exchange apart from telstra in my area = :upset:

14. Tornhelm

Tornhelm Member

That's part of the reason I used to use Vista - its task scheduler is a bloody nice upgrade to xp's for loading up all your downloading programs for your off-peak hours.

15. ASSmatic

ASSmatic Member

It shouldn't cost them any more to have their links underutilized during offpeak than having it maxed out (correct me if I'm wrong), as long as they don't purchase more bandwidth to compensate.

It's just that it's wasted, so if you can sign up a few hundred/thousand people who see the number and sign up specifically so they can use as much of this wasted bandwidth as they can then you're much better off.

From a customer stand-point though you have problems with saturation during this period, but the ISP most likely won't give a shit until their peak bandwidth begins to saturate as well (in which case they should have enough customers and money to buy more).

16. Nippy

Nippy New Member

WTB 100/10 unlimited already.... 20mb/s a sec...mmmm /drool.

17. Smakked

Smakked Member

Pity i cant ADSL 2, sucks as there are some more good plans on the way.

Private Tracker for the Win!!

18. Tony

Tony New Member

not rly

tpg don't need a phone bundle

and are still cheaper

19. DumbparameciuM

DumbparameciuM Member

I wish they'd reveal what they're thinking in terms of on peak and off peak allowence. I know, schedulers, flashget, etc. But I stream quite a bit, so I'd like to know.

20. caspian

caspian Member

torrents...

I don't think the current "off-peak" thing is any sort of attempt to deliberately get people to shift their bandwidth usage - it's more to do with the fact that the bandwidth they have is underutilised during that time, so they can afford to advertise it like this at little or no extra expense.

let's be realistic - who needs 200Gb of data if you're not torrenting/sharing etc? unless you're streaming video constantly, you couldn't possibly use it. if you're filesharing, it's no problem to kick the scheduler settings in and benefit from the el-cheap-o bandwidth.