1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

ABIT AN8 Ultra (new nF4 mobo with 3.55vdimm) + Venice + UTT + TCCD

Discussion in 'AMD x86 CPUs and chipsets' started by dinos22, Jun 22, 2005.

1. dinos22

dinos22 Member

hi guys

I ended up getting a nice Week 17 Venice so my Intel Pentium D Dual Core setup is on the backburner now. I bought a new motherboard to go with my Venice. It's an Abit AN8 Ultra with 3.55vdimm for BH5/UTT fans. I would appreciate your input with my setup/testing/tweaking/all else:thumbup:...

Here is some info on the product:
    ABIT's Website: http://www.abit-usa.com/products/mb/products.php?categories=1&model=278
    Review by Solo: http://www.net-forums.net/forums/Abit_AN8_Ultra_and_AN8_SLI_motherboards_reviewed-t22067.html

I started testing yesterday afternoon and here are some preliminary results. PLS keep in mind that this motherboard JUST got released and I am one of a very small group of people worldwide that got my dirty fingers on it so bios files are in its infancy......There is a known issue with Venice guys and these new Abit AN8 series mobos so bios updates will have to iron out some of those....hopefully.....One of the well know issues is 1T not working or unstable with Venice CPUs....works great on Clawhammer....another issue is CPU temp reading being WAY TOO HIGH.....

TEST SETUP
    A64 3000+ Venice 0517EPMW :cool:
    Abit AN8 Ultra + Freezer64
    1GB Corsair TwinX1024-3200C2v1.5 UTT
    1GB Corsair TwinX1024-4400C25 TCCD
    XpertVision 6600GT 558/1035
    Wavemaster + Enermax 535W EPS PSU

I started to to play with 1GB Corsair TwinX1024-3200C2v1.5 UTT first....the board looped memtest test#5 error free at 238MHz @3.2V which is sligthly higher than DFI and also I used really tight timings unlike on DFI setup.......BUT I ran into memtest errors at test#8 which i originally didn't test for in my last post so i dropped it back to 225Mhz on test#8 and still got errors.....damn.......so i decided to stop messing around and......

.......go back to square one......I started with tictac's suggested timings enclosed below....i am on 9x multiplier though

Memtest 1.55.1 Test 5-----quick 6 loops
    Memtest 1.55.1 Test 8-----quick 2 loops
    (they are quick loops and once i run into errors at desired speed i will drop MHz back for lengthier tests)

I USED TIGHTER TIMINGS:
    * Read to Write Delay: 1
    * Row Refresh Recycle Time: 12
    ALSO EXPERIENCED PROBLEM WITH 1T so CHANGED to 2T half way through the test....all in notes below...INITIAL TESTS ARE 1T.

TEST RESULTS:

TEST A: 2.8VOLTS on vdimm
    TEST1: 200MHz Test5&8----PASS
    TEST2: 205MHz Test5&8----PASS
    TEST3: 210MHz Test5&8----PASS
    TEST4: 215MHz Test5&8----PASS

TEST5: 220MHz Test5----FAIL(errors); Test8----PASS(errors);

TEST B: 2.9VOLTS on vdimm
    TEST1: 220MHz Test5&8----PASS
    TEST2: 225MHz Test5&8----FAIL(errors)

TEST C: 3.0VOLTS on vdimm
    TEST1: 225MHz Test5----PASS; Test8----FAIL(errors)

TEST D: 3.1VOLTS on vdimm
    TEST1: 225MHz Test5----PASS; Test8----FAIL(loads of errors)

TEST E: 3.2VOLTS on vdimm
    TEST1: 225MHz Test5----PASS; Test8----FAIL(loads of errors)
    TEST2: 238MHz Test5----PASS; Test8----FAIL(loads of errors)

238MHz at 1T 3.2Vdimm was as far as it goes error free in test#5.....

I tried to see if a much faster fan would make a difference in terms of cooling and it made NO difference

There is a known problem with Venice + this mobo (Bios13) with 1T which i just confirmed so I CHANGED TIMING TO 2T and here are the results:

[EDIT] NOTE REGARDING UNDERVOLTING BUG
    Motherboard was undervolting from 0.07-0.1 in bios13. I marked the tests below as bios selected voltage hence in real life it is actually lower by up to 0.1V.....hence 3.55V in BIOS gives me 3.45V in real life......and 3V actually gave me 2.93V....The positive thing about this is i got 258MHz with tightest timings at 3.45V ONLY.....I cannot wait to get the bug fix with newer bios and see what it does with actual 3.55Vdimm........i'll be aiming for 265/DDR530

TEST A: 3.0VOLTS on vdimm [hence 2.93V roughly the real voltage]
    TEST1: 225MHz Test5&8----PASS
    TEST2: 230MHz Test5&8----PASS
    TEST3: 235MHz Test5----FAIL(errors)...moved to 3.1V

TEST B: 3.1VOLTS on vdimm [hence 3.03V roughly the real voltage]
    TEST1: 235MHz Test5&8----PASS
    TEST2: 240MHz Test5----FAIL(errors); Test8----PASS

TEST C: 3.2VOLTS on vdimm [hence 3.12V roughly the real voltage]
    TEST1: 240MHz Test5&8----PASS
    TEST2: 245MHz Test5----FAIL(tens of thousands of errors); Test8----PASS

TEST D: 3.3VOLTS on vdimm [hence 3.20V roughly the real voltage]
    TEST1: 245MHz Test5----FAIL(40 errors); Test8----PASS

TEST E: 3.4VOLTS on vdimm [hence 3.30V roughly the real voltage]
    TEST1: 245MHz Test5&8----PASS
    TEST2: 250MHz Test5----FAIL(errors); Test8----PASS

TEST F: 3.55VOLTS on vdimm [hence 3.45V roughly the real voltage]
    TEST1: 250MHz Test5&8----PASS
    TEST2: 254MHz Test5&8----PASS
    [EDIT]...TEST3: 258MHz Test5&8----PASS (AFTER 5 hour Burn-in)
    (End of test there at TIGHT timings set out by tictac...I don't see much point loosening the timings to reach 265......but I might burn them in a little as see what happens)
    [EDIT]...TEST4: 261MHz Test5&8----PASS (AFTER 24 hour Burn-in)
    (End of test there at TIGHT timings set out....Screenshots included with a SuperPI 32M/PCMARK04/05/3DMARK04/05 run at 2875MHz:D)

BTW.....the mosfet heatsink that sits next to that heatpipe copper heatsink is not even warm......more like luke warm at 3.55Vdimm...i was expecting to be able to fry a couple of eggs.....well DFI is supposed to be pretty hot at these volts anyhow......I only have active cooling on the RAM.....92mm fan spinning at 1500RPM....slow just to blow some air over the RAM

I'm happy :leet:

NOTE ON INITIAL 5 Hour Burn-in
    after 5 hour burn-in at 255MHz and 440xpasses of test#5 i had 20 errors all up....last error appearing on around loop 260......

after reboot I tightened the timings just a bit more......last digit on tictac's suggested timing dropped to 1 (from 2) and went to 258MHz error free......I will need to check the voltage with multimeter and burn in more to get a few more MHz......I can see a stable 260MHz easy

also guys I touched the MOSFET heatsink and it was almost COLD.......either I'm checking at the wrong place or this motherboard RULES :woot:

COLD BOOT TEST:
    I haven't experienced any problems yet. I will check for COLD BOOT when I get home today.....I left it at 250MHz 1:1 at 3.55Vdimm....... ;)....[EDIT]Checked...no cold boot......I was also suggested to use 300+ HTT which i checked and found no problems with cold boot :lol:

Problems so far:
    ***Speedfan is showing DDRVDD AS 3.45V...bios selected 3.55V :confused: (I need to check this with multimeter....how do I do that....would anyone know)
    ***Temps are ridiculous even at idle on the Venice.....Abit has a know problem here......my test on Asus had load temps at 42C at 2.8GHz at sligthly lower voltage.....
    ***OC results are 2T....well anything over 220MHz error free....there is an issue with Venice specifically so seems a bios update might help there

PC BENCHMARKS (on Corsair HC200 W.C.)

WATER PROJECT LINK (Lots of photos)make sure you mark me as referred if you join www.i4memory.com

Best Aquamark3 Run:
    A64 3000+@2976MHz LINK

SuperPI/mod1.4 RUNS:
    1M SuperPI at 2949MHz
    [​IMG]

32M SuperPI at 2875Mhz
    [​IMG]

Some 3DMARK/PCMARK RUNS:

3DMARK03 at 2875MHz
    [​IMG]

3DMARK05 at 2875MHz
    [​IMG]

PCMARK04 at 2875MHz
    [​IMG]

PCMARK05 at 2875MHz
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 8, 2005
  2. aussie7

aussie7 Member

I think the cold boot issue doesn't happen on the venice cpu and only happens at HTT300 and above, it happens with my winchester on the AN8 Ultra :(

My AN8 Ultra shows VDIMM at 3.45v when set to 3.55v in Uguru also, I guess it under volts at 3.55v as 2.8v shows 2.8v in uguru

EDIT: My temps are high also, showing 70c 100% load at 2600Mhz in uguru, was hitting 96c before I reseated the HSF :thumbup:

Last edited: Jun 23, 2005
  3. lowdog

lowdog Member

Have you guys tried bios15 ?

If so have you experienced any problems with it.

4. aussie7

aussie7 Member

No I haven't tried bios 15 and won't due to all the reported issues on the Abit forums

I'm sticking with bios 13 for now :)

5. OP
    OP
    dinos22

dinos22 Member

i haven't tried BIOS 15 but i read from a few users that it was unstable so no go for me....i am trying to gather as much info as possible on the current setup first so that i can compare notes later on....

seven: Your temps are even more insane than mine....my 0447 Winchester was even cooler than Venice at same speeds so that is definately way off......i have a multimeter to check for all voltages but I am waiting for chew or bigtoe to let me know how do check for vdimm...i think i saw T_M post 5V and 12V check at i4memory somewhere

i did notice that this board reports 5V and 12V properly unlike Asus & DFI boards

I plugged eveything in properly in closed case last night and attached that 4-pin speaker header....when i booted up i got this really annoying buzzing warning sound in regular intervals....went to bios and disabled beeps and it stopped....i had a look at all the options and couldn't put my finger on it what the warning buzzer was about......i guess i'll have a closer look 2nite....you guys had a similar experience or what

6. aussie7

aussie7 Member

I had the same problem with the warning beeps when my system was hitting 96c

I also had the warning beeps for the ram voltage when set at 3.55v so I just disabled it for that item

You can disable the * for each item by selecting it then pressing the space bar to remove the *

7. ArcTan

ArcTan Member

nice work dinos22

lol you sold your week47 winnie
    I'm selling mine atm
    you got a 0517EPMW
    I got mine today
    You have a AN8 Ultra
    I'll be getting mine soon :lol:

8. OP
    OP
    dinos22

dinos22 Member

thanks dude........damn it asswipe i'm gonna get a restraining order out against you....:lol:

hey we'll be the dymanic duo.........

since you are moving to PCI express get that cheap Xpertvision 6600GT and we're laughing

Seven: 3.55Vdimm is the problem then cause that's what i'm running the rig at now.......

when you get a cold boot issue with your winchester what does actually happen and how do you resolve it if i ever get a problem

my system is burning in at home now since 11pm last night....damn i hope nothing blew up over there :lol:......maybe i should have left the RAM fan speed on fast......Doh!!!

9. aussie7

aussie7 Member

When I start the system from cold boot (power point switched off) it will get to the screen after the bios logo and says something about unstable settings and to enter bios and adjust the cpu settings

All you do is go into bios and redo your cpu settings and reboot

Sorry can't really rember any more about it as I now run system below HTT300 so I can switch it off at night and not have to go through the cold boot issue when I switch it on in the morning

10. OP
    OP
    dinos22

dinos22 Member

I'll check for that over 2.7GHz and report

My understanding of cold boot was different....I thought that the reason for that was if you are running high volts on RAM after a shut down and power supply unplugged your RAM voltage drops from whatever you ran it (ie. 3.55V) to default volts (2.6V) or whatever.........someone at DFI-street or XS confirmed that with actual voltage measurements......i haven't heard of 300+HTT before....in fact my Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe + Winchester 24/7 setup was 2.6GHz as you know with 325*8*3......with UTT RAM as well so I don't think it affected solely high HTT....

11. OP
    OP
    dinos22

dinos22 Member

who says there is nothing to salivate about......have a go at this screenie:leet:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 6, 2005
  12. OP
    OP
    dinos22

dinos22 Member

2.9GHz boys.......need more volts to load into windows.....well back to slower speed until i check volts with multimeter....can anyone point me in the right direction where the voltage points are on the motherboard

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 6, 2005
  13. balckjok3r

balckjok3r (Banned or Deleted)

dinos22, memtest proves nothing for cpu stability, I can run memtest for ages with 1.55v oncpu at 3GHz. Try to run some 1M at those speeds, bet you wont get far. :thumbup:

14. OP
    OP
    dinos22

dinos22 Member

i know dude i know

15. ArcTan

ArcTan Member

rofl I think I might just get it as well :lol:
    was going to get a x700pro

16. OP
    OP
    dinos22

dinos22 Member

:thumbup: now we are on the same page

i wacked it TCCD in....just memtesting at 275MHz.....all good so far

17. OP
    OP
    dinos22

dinos22 Member

HERE IS SOME CRAZY TCCD ACTION BOYS

[​IMG]

TIMINGS USED

[​IMG]

VOLTAGE SETTINS
    [​IMG]

DDR634
    [​IMG]

DDR622 at 2.8GHz on Venice
    [​IMG]

AND IN WINDOWS at 2.8GHZ with SuperPI
    [​IMG]

LIFE IS HARD BEAVIS!!!
    :lol:

18. babyelf

babyelf (Banned or Deleted)

bandwidth seems low.. i'd stick to tight timings rather than high HTT sacrificing timings..

19. OP
    OP
    dinos22

dinos22 Member

timings are OK it's 2T that's deceiving you......Abit has an issue with this baby-bios at 1T.....actually those timings you see are SPD bios selected as well...what do you reckon where should I tighten them

you are doing a great job on those G.Skill modules....:thumbup:

Last edited: Jun 24, 2005
  20. babyelf

babyelf (Banned or Deleted)

maybe try tightening the row cycle time