1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

ABIT AN8 Ultra (new nF4 mobo with 3.55vdimm) + Venice + UTT + TCCD

Discussion in 'AMD x86 CPUs and chipsets' started by dinos22, Jun 22, 2005.

1. OP
    OP
    dinos22

dinos22 Member

ArcTan let's go dude, i want to see some results from me....the dynamic duo

2. OP
    OP
    dinos22

dinos22 Member

3. bugeyes

bugeyes Member

I'm close to buying one these boards...
    but I need to see more people with high HTT speeds 1:1 memory @ 1T. (tccd)

4. ArcTan

ArcTan Member

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=62087
    HTT : chew* @ 395MHz
    TCCD : chew* @ 325MHz 2.5-4-3-6-1T
    BH5 : chew* @ 268MHz 2-2-2-6

Last edited: Jun 27, 2005
  5. bugeyes

bugeyes Member

yeah i now chew can do it but it dosn't mean I can expect, 1T above 250MHz 1:1 I don't think Im that good or lucky ;)

nos22 has similar 4400C25 and a venice which is close to the configuration I will be running.

6. OP
    OP
    dinos22

dinos22 Member

there are more users on XS with good clocks....Solo as well is a good one

look there are going to be some issues no doubt but it's not too far off DFI guys so looking good there

7. Sephir0th

Sephir0th Member

hmm im almost tempted as well.. just to try a different mobo. On this DFI board i can run 2.4ghz 10x240 1:1 no worries, 1.4v on cpu, but for the life of me i cant get 10x250 stable, even running async to slow down the memory, which leaves the memory controller on the cpu, or the mobo itself...

8. OP
    OP
    dinos22

dinos22 Member

what vcore i you giving the CPUs.......i've come across some 3200+ shockers that needed 1.7V to be stable at 2.5GHz OMG at XS

Last edited: Jun 27, 2005
  9. Sephir0th

Sephir0th Member

thats the weird thing

at 10x250 i was giving the cpu ~1.53v real. I had prime95 small fft (cpu only) test going, and that was going fine for 2hrs, then i opened a few programs at once and it hard rebooted. So im pretty sure the cpu was fine.

Im also able to run memtest fine at even 280, so mem is fine. Very tempted to try another board.

10. OP
    OP
    dinos22

dinos22 Member

OCCT is more reliable.....there is a left button on it...>TEST< which takes around 30 minutes and detected faults on my system that Prime95 didn't get in hours so yeah...i had the same issue and fixed it with OCCT and more volts

GUYS I'M SELLING MY CPU FROM THIS REVIEW...ROCK SOLID AT 2.8GHz

Last edited: Jul 6, 2005
  11. aokman

aokman Member

Nice work mate :) im getting a AN8 ultra tomorrow with some venice chips to try out :D gotta wait for my premium to arrive :(

12. tired

tired Member

I couldn't be stuffed waiting around for the Asus SLI Premium to arrive anymore, considering I ain't going to use SLI and the Abit board also has passive cooling - I just ordered the AN8 Ultra from Auspcmarket.

Will finally get to use my 7800GTX :)

13. ArcTan

ArcTan Member

nice
    mine AN8 Ultra's arriving tomorrow
    though I don't have a gfx card for it yet

14. aokman

aokman Member

Got my AN8, great board indeed, ROCK SOLID voltages and i mean spot on. The board did die on me with a 04 error but it came good after letting it sit for a while. Now im setting it up, DONT USE BIOS 15 it is very unstable.

15. tired

tired Member

Auspcmarket just emailed me to give me a tracking number - its on its way :)

Specs for beastie be:

Abit AN8 Ultra
    3700+ San Diego & Thermalright XP-90 + 92mm Panaflo
    2gb Corsair TwinX3200c2
    Sparkle 7800GTX
    Audigy 2 ZS
    Dvico FusionHDTV DVB-T Plus
    200gb Seagate 7200.7+
    Antec TruePower 2.0 480w Blue

I may go dual-core later, but I may not (who am I kidding - I will probably go dual-core lol).

16. OP
    OP
    dinos22

dinos22 Member

that is a ripper setup dude

very nice......make sure all of you post some details here......we'll make it an unoffcial Abit AN8 Ultra thread.....:thumbup: :thumbup:

cheers,
    Dino

17. tired

tired Member

:) will do.

I have heeded the warnings on the latest bios update as I did quite a lot of research on various boards before putting this and the Asus board on my short list - bios version 15 seems about as popular as mozzie bites.

18. OP
    OP
    dinos22

dinos22 Member

i wouldn't say that about bios 15. I think lowdog has been yelling pretty loud and those waves have been making rounds on various sites. He was having an issue with SLI not stability as far as i know. I also know that some Xtreme Systems people have tried it and it seemed OK with slightly reduced oveclocks. Another user there reported that BIOS14 gave him the best OC results but I'm not moving anywhere yet until i see BIOS16. I do have some beta bioses emailed to me from beta testers but i'm not trying it out yet + I've been testing two different venices and making my mind up which one to keen and which one to sell as they are both pretty good

19. aokman

aokman Member

Dont go dual until a new bios comes out the version 15 bios is for dual core support and its not stable :(

By the way, the optical out on this mobo rocks :) so much better than using outputs on the POS DFI Kajin or whatever it is.

20. tired

tired Member

For dual, I am thinking more about the updated X2's without the thermal throttling bug and when the prices come down - bout 6 months off, at least.

I may stick with the 3700+ but I dunno - upgrading urges can be very persuasive and stubborn.

I was very interested in DFI for a period, but man that board had so many issues with memory and others issues generally at default settings that I was totally turned off by them.

Having to work to get a board stable at stock clocks with gear that works on other boards right out of the box will never be my cup of tea.