1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

ABIT AN8 Ultra (new nF4 mobo with 3.55vdimm) + Venice + UTT + TCCD

Discussion in 'AMD x86 CPUs and chipsets' started by dinos22, Jun 22, 2005.

1. aokman

aokman Member

I know the feeling, i have 4400C25 which will never work with the DFI board and Corsair have updated their site to say its not supported now but its now ABIT AN8 certified :). Out of all the NF4 boards the DFI is the only one it doesn't work on :rolleyes:

Put me off DFI forever especially when they wouldn't help either.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2005
  2. tired

tired Member

I remember going through various forum threads about DFI boards and thinking omg YOU POOR BASTARDS!

I understand that multiple bios updates since the start of these various threads have helped a lot, but man, for a while there (and now to a lesser extent) one could be forgiven for leaping from a high place at a great rate of knots towards a solid object below.

3. OP
    OP
    dinos22

dinos22 Member

where did you see this .....certification stuff for Abit and DFI

4. aokman

aokman Member

5. OP
    OP
    dinos22

dinos22 Member

6. aokman

aokman Member

Im trying to get my TCCD to run stable on the board as we speak, it doesnt like SPD too much. Going to use some of the setttings on XS :)

7. grum00

grum00 Member

I'm looking at this board but undecided on a hsf. Does anyone know if the Primecooler (or zalman 7700) fit on this board. I know the 7700 fits on the an8 and fatality boards, but unsure about the heatpipe on the an8 ultra. I'm pretty sure the 7700 is just high enough to go over the top of the memory modules, but how high is the heatpipe off the board? The 7700 is big enough that it will reach the pipe, just a question of whether or not it goes over the top. From the pictures I've seen, the heatpipe looks like it's fairly high off board, higher than the top of installed memory modules?

8. ArcTan

ArcTan Member

nice
    mine came today and luckily it got here before I was about to leave
    stupid altech I requested it be delivered tomorrow :p

9. aokman

aokman Member

Still fighting with my mobo :) 4400C25 is fun :lol:

DDR Clock : DDR400 (1:1 sync)
    CAS Latency : 2.5
    row cycle time : 9
    row refresh cycle time : 14
    ras to cas delay : 4
    ras to ras delay : 2
    min ras active time : 6
    ras precharge time : 3
    write recovery time : 2
    write to read delay : 2
    read to write delay : 3
    Dram command rate : 2T
    burst length : 4 Beats
    bank interleaving : Enable
    DDR Voltage : 2.7V
    DDR VTT : 1/2

For some reason i am yet to get it past 250Mhz @ 8x multi with a pass in SuperPI :(

10. OP
    OP
    dinos22

dinos22 Member

i have to say that i could only OC corsairs at SPD timings and if i changed to manual setting with everything exactly the same as SPD it wouldn't post......i donno what the deal is with that but maybe you should give SPD another shot as i had a lot of luck with it going past 2.8GHz 1:1

11. OP
    OP
    dinos22

dinos22 Member

dude i would get TT Big Typhoon if I was you...they are the best AIR cooler on the market at the same price range of Zalman.......Zalman will be louder and will not cool as well as TT but it will give your heatpipe grills some airflow which is important.......you won't have problems with heatpipe clearance as it sits pretty low OK....the only bad thing about both HSFs is their weight......

i am still confused about temp monitoring on this board....looks to me like there is no temp for NF4 chipset anywhere in the bios....PLS correct me if i'm wrong

12. aokman

aokman Member

I know the Zalman 7000's fit, as ive seen am image with one but i agress with dinos ;).

13. bugeyes

bugeyes Member

Has anybody removed the heatpipe assembly from the chipset ? if so what did you find?

14. aokman

aokman Member

It has a pad under it, definately worth removing and putting some AS5 on it. I forgot to do it when i was putting the mobo in :upset:

15. bugeyes

bugeyes Member

mine had a foam shroud around a peice of dark grey thermal puty, then a thin film of transparent blue plastic covering the nForce4 silicon?

16. aokman

aokman Member

That pad would be taxing you about 10c i rekon, get it off ;)

17. bugeyes

bugeyes Member

I mainly wanted to know if that thin blue plastic film was intended to be there, as it dos'n't seem to do anything and I'm thinking it might have been left on there by error at the factory?

18. aokman

aokman Member

If its around the core then its simply an insulator so the chipset resistors cannot short out on the heatsink, if its actually on the core however i would worry :Paranoid: i didn't see it in the image i have though, just the thermal pad and shim so it doesn't rock on the core.

19. OP
    OP
    dinos22

dinos22 Member

yes i had that too BUT removed it and put silver thermal compound instead ;)

20. tired

tired Member

Mine is up and running but I still have one card to install (HDTV) and wires to tidy up a bit.

I did one run of 3dmark2005 with everything at stock and got 7644 with the 77.72 whql drivers.

The board came with the version 13 bios.

As has been said by others, the 7800GTX is darn quiet at idle - I will play BF2 later and listen for how loud it gets.

System is darn quiet overall with the 92mm Panaflo cpu fan on the XP-90, rear 120mm Papst fan and Antec TruePower 2 psu with its 120mm fan.

I put a few pics of the board with the cooler and ram, the case while I was still tidying up, led's on http://www.users.on.net/~tiredguy/New System/