1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

ABIT AN8 Ultra (new nF4 mobo with 3.55vdimm) + Venice + UTT + TCCD

Discussion in 'AMD x86 CPUs and chipsets' started by dinos22, Jun 22, 2005.

1. Thhhza

Thhhza Member

The performance loss going to CL3 will be too great won't it?
    I'm better off just running it at 2.5-3-3-6 @ 210Mhz until I get some new RAM.

2. qwijibo

qwijibo Member

I missed the 200 divider, but it goes 200, 266, 333, 400 - no in-between ones.

3. graham_h

graham_h Member

bios 20..anyone using it ?

4. Thhhza

Thhhza Member

5. graham_h

graham_h Member

using it on mine also with no issues

6. predder

predder Member

Anyone running aftermarket HSF's in these?

I installed a thermalright XP-90 this evening (I didnt realise you had to remove the board when I bought it!!)

Anyway the orientation is around the other way now, the end of it is almost touching my rear exhaust fan. I bought this HSF to steer clear of the heat issues for the heatpipe that the Freezer 64 Pro caused but since the orientation is around the wrong way i'm not so sure it's a great replacement for the stock HSF :(

Experiences replacing the NB TIM?
    I took off the pad goopy thing underneath but not the spacer left on the actual heatsink base. Did everyone else do this?

7. graham_h

graham_h Member

[​IMG]

I scraped all the goo off and the spacer pad (see Pic),
    then removed the plastic washers under the screws so it'd make proper contact with the chipset.

Mine wasn't even touching before I did that

Good read here > http://www.sgoverclockers.com/modules.php?name=Reviews&rop=showcontent&id=13&page=3

"More importantly, we must also have a good thermal interface between the chipset and the chipset cooler. Unfortunately, it appears Abit went with a thermal pad instead of thermal paste in this instance. It would be wise to replace this pad with some thermal paste to increase the thermal transfer between the chipset and the chipset cooler."

Predder, do you have any pics of your heatsink mounted ?

Last edited: Mar 1, 2006
  8. AgentVX

AgentVX Member

Had an XP-90 mounted on my board too (RIP), with the heatpipes pointing towards the back of the case. No clearance issues, can't comment on temps due to the lack of accurate readings :rolleyes: but the CPU overclocked well so I guess it was ok.
    Are you using a particularly cramped case?

9. predder

predder Member

I'll post pics when I get home from work. There are no issues at all with the HSF, I'm just very iffy about running a hsf that doesnt blow air across the motherboard and out that back panel (like the stock hsf does). This is after I got mass system instability using a freezer64 Pro due to this same issue (even the heatpipe was too hot to touch, let alone the NB itself).

I set it running prime and superpi 32M last night. Woke up and restarted the superpi 32M, I'll do one more superpi run when I get home tonight and touch the NB.. If it's not too bad and that all passes then I'll stick with the xp90 :)

10. ArcTan

ArcTan Member

any gains changing the paste on the heatpipe cooler graham?
    think I'll look for one of these boards again
    My old one rocked

11. graham_h

graham_h Member

as mine wasn't even touching the chip, yes it was way better. 15 to 20c drop in temps with AS5.

Its hard to say how much better it'd be if it had been in proper contact, but there was way to much "insulation" on that thing for my liking.

Damn poor job on their behalf. Much happier now I know its mounted correctly.

Made the board way more stable.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2006
  12. ArcTan

ArcTan Member

any gains in HTT?
    I didn't bother with mine when I had the board as it could do 380HTT stable

13. predder

predder Member

I'm reluctant to remove the pad and bridge the little resistors sticking out of the Nforce 4 chip. Just got home - system still running ok with the xp-90. NB was fairly warm but acceptable (assuming it's making better contact now than before it'd have to be hotter anyway)

14. FireTech

FireTech Member

Quick Q

When you removed the foam pad did you replace it with another form of insulation? From that picture it appears (from the small indentations in the foam) that it is preventing shorting between the components adjacent to the chip and the HS block?

15. graham_h

graham_h Member

nope, just sits clean on it. nothing shorting

Last edited: Mar 5, 2006
  16. FireTech

FireTech Member

Thanks. :thumbup: