1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

ABIT AN8 Ultra (new nF4 mobo with 3.55vdimm) + Venice + UTT + TCCD

Discussion in 'AMD x86 CPUs and chipsets' started by dinos22, Jun 22, 2005.

1. aussie7

aussie7 Member

Nice score :thumbup:

The DDR booster won't work on a 24pin MB :shock:

2. Chamelion

Chamelion Member

Will work on a 24 pin mobo, just not with a 24 pin psu... My PSU is 20 pin :p

Matt.

3. OP
    OP
    dinos22

dinos22 Member

nice one

are those boards using the same capacitors...pretty sure they arn't

4. ssX

ssX Member

thought the vtt didnt track on the serise 1 AN8's, or this the new one?

Last edited: Jul 9, 2005
  5. aokman

aokman Member

Im testings the limits of the HTT on my board as we speak, will report back shortly ;)

6. Kenetixx

Kenetixx (Banned or Deleted)

It does work on a 24 Pin PSU
    you need to seperate the last 4 pins and plug them into the board as normal , them plag the 20 pinplug off the booster into the psu and then that down to your mobo , works a treat :)

7. aokman

aokman Member

Well that was fun :)

I managed 355HTT out of the board before she finally rebooted :)

Going to be removing the chipset and putting thermal paste on and maybe a fan on the OTES to keep it cool as im using water to cool the CPU and hope for 370HTT atleast :)

Last edited: Jul 9, 2005
  8. bugeyes

bugeyes Member

You, guys, which are replacing the stock chipset TIM with AS5 etc… Can you have a close look at the original TIM for me, is it like putty in texture, does it seem to have any different properties from regular thermal pastes?

The reason I ask, is that heatpipe screws directly to the mobo as well as the chipset, so any miss-alignment or flex to the heatpipe will have a leverage affect acting directly on the chipset silicon, causing either damage to the silicon or a slight gap to form. So I'm thinking that the original TIM might be designed to be very thick and to provide some volume for this gap and may even have some shock protection function as well?

9. aokman

aokman Member

The shim is supposed to protect the core from getting chipped, removing the pad should be fine...

10. bugeyes

bugeyes Member

what shim...that white bit of foam?

11. aokman

aokman Member

Yup, that should stop the HSF from rocking on the core and chipping it.

12. bugeyes

bugeyes Member

I'm not worreid about it gently rocking on the chip...but when you tighten the 4 srews at the end of the heatpipe your putting considerable strain on the chip through the leaverage affect.

That white bit of foam is purely there for electrical insulation of the tiny electronic components around the chipset core, and is not designed to protect it from any physical stress.

13. OP
    OP
    dinos22

dinos22 Member

well i took it off....took that crap goob off and applied silver bullet and put the heatpipe back on and tighten as much as it was possible...going real well here so no complaints

14. OP
    OP
    dinos22

dinos22 Member

I was just confirmed that chipset DOES NOT have a temp sensor and therefore cannot get chipset temps measured.....i do have a thermometer so i can measure the temps but not really too happy about that....anyway my thermal sensor is showing around 36C for the chipset at 2GHz...CPU at 1.4V....RAM 3.32V......the external heatsink is showing 38C...i don't really have any airflow that way but i will reorganise everything once WC goes in and see what happens

also my CPU temp as reported by speedfan is 33C...while it shows 23C on the outer base....CPU and freezer64...btw F64 doesn't fully cover the CPU heatsink.....RAM was 25C...MOSFETs...one heatsink 30C the other 26C...HDD 22.5C....Speedfan was reporting HDD at 24C, PWM at 30C

Last edited: Jul 10, 2005
  15. aokman

aokman Member

The price on ultra boards has dropped another $13 cost price so expect a small price drop shortly :), i had ordered one for Groovetek but now he doesnt want it. If anyone wants its it for $180 PP let me know :)

By the way, BIOS 15 is actually good, its very unstable if you use 1T but if you use 2T and have TCCD it will take it beyond anything you got on previous bios's. I got 280 out of it without tweaking the DDRref compared to 240 on previous bios's

Last edited: Jul 11, 2005
  16. OP
    OP
    dinos22

dinos22 Member

I am getting a new BIOS16-beta revision with WORKING 1T from Sweden today...hehehehe...anyone want it...

groovie stuffed you up damn.....should be easy to sell for $180....i paid close to $200 wholesale for mine......so that's a good price....

nice gain in MHz there 40MHz with bios change...damn that's pretty good...i wonder if UTT/BH5 is as responsive to BIOS15/16Beta;)

17. aokman

aokman Member

Na its ok, he thought his DFI was a CPU killer but it turns out his BIOS was a CPU killer lol and he wants to use again now, i would dump it in the gutter if it killed my CPU but hey, i could cancel the order at the supplier but i have other stuff and they dont like it usually ;). Im happy to take bios 16 for a spin :) i am picking up my BH5 today so i will be able to test it with both types of ram :D

I was hoping for a miricle as my 4400C25 just wouldnt pass 240 ish with the old bios's :(

18. OP
    OP
    dinos22

dinos22 Member

I'm on stock cooling ATM until someone can help me out with WC stuff :upset: so i cannot really do testing ATM.....mate i tell you what that bios killed the best Venice CPU i4memory and OCAU have ever seen...I would be suing someone for that dude.....pitty he's not at Abit camp...it would be nice to have a few more established guys with good setups and proven OC records.....it's all happening here :thumbup:

19. aokman

aokman Member

Yeah it would be good, but hey, we have tictac on XS working on bios's for us now :) and i have a week 17 going in my PC shortly ;)

20. OP
    OP
    dinos22

dinos22 Member

nice wk17 good stuff what stepping....LOL 0517DPMW by any chance