about to donate an old pc

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting Help' started by Marlborosmoker, Jun 11, 2016.

1. Marlborosmoker

Marlborosmoker Member

about to donate an old pc which I haven't used for quite a while (2-3yrs approx) to some relatives overseas. So obviously I decide to test everything works.

Specs as follows

q6600
    2x2ghz ddr2 667 apacer (transplanted from a separate pc which was working so for sure this is no the issue)
    Gigabyte 2gb 4850 (tested with and without this installed)
    1x750gb HDD this has been tested from another pc so also works
    Corsair hx620 PSU ( given a visual inspection no capacitors seem to bulging)
    Gigabyte ep45ds3r mb ( given a visual inspection no capacitors seem to bulging)

Now the problem is this I power on pc, fans spin up momentarily, mobo leds power on then shuts itself off. I'm almost 100% sure this due to a dead cmos battery as this pc has been stored in a cool dry environment and was working 100% stable prior to being mothballed, but i don't have a multimeter on hand at the moment to confirm this. Any other suggestions as to what else could be the culprit?

Last edited: Jun 11, 2016
  2. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

The only thing you can be sure of is that it isn't the CMOS battery. The battery is only a backup, the computer would run without one, just keep losing its settings every time you turned it off. If you really want to check, don't bother with tools, just buy a new battery at pretty much anywhere that sells batteries for a couple bucks.

I'd be cleaning and reseating the ram, double checking connections, looking for short circuits against the chassis, loose wires, stuff like that.

3. OP
    OP
    Marlborosmoker

Marlborosmoker Member

Well so far that is my no1 culprit from trawling other forums for information and searching google. It's not a case of buying a multimeter - I have one it's at the office and I don't exactly have 24hr access to building.

SOLVED
    Edit I'm a dumbass -Confirmed cause as dead cmos battery. used the Cmos battery from the pc I'm using now temporarily and it now works like a charm

4. matto20v

matto20v Member

Agreed. Well written.

5. ginger_nuts

ginger_nuts Member

No CMOS battery should still give a POST screen.

My gigabyte ep45 boards do the same symptoms but in a boot loop when the ram is faulty/incompatible/wrong settings etc.

I would try just one stick at a time to see if this helps.

It could be the MB also faulty or CPU.

So double check for bent pins, and double check all your connections from the PSU to the MB again.

You will also get these symptons if the CPU is getting no power.

6. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

I still don't believe a dead CMOS battery would cause a boot failure. Replacing it may have changed the result, but its more likely that you have disturbed something which was loose or not fitted correctly when fitting the battery.

I'd at least be using the thing for a few days before you donate trouble to someone.

7. Draxx

Draxx Member

Would probably cost more than the value of the PC to ship it overseas.....

8. matto20v

matto20v Member

I agree with this.

Take the CMOS battery out and it will still POST.

You've disturbed something, like a bad contact or dry solder, when changing the battery over. Overall its a win because you've got the system up, but its likely to repeat again.

9. TheApothecary

TheApothecary New Member

I've had several instances where computer wont boot/post and a new CMOS battery (buy them in a pack of 8 for $10?) has done the trick.

It's easy/quick enough to do - which is always step 1 in troubleshooting.

10. OP
    OP
    Marlborosmoker

Marlborosmoker Member

thank you for your valuable input and solution to my problem. Your input is much appreciated. Seriously what I do with my money is my business, especially when this thing is getting sent as part of a shipping container full of equipment and personal effects.

Please close this thread thanks guys. Stress tests on vga card, memtest 86 have been completed it ran for 48 hours straight

11. andurils_sheath

andurils_sheath Member

If it happens again. I had this problem. Intermittently.

Reseat the main 24 pin power to the motherboard. Should sort it out long term. You probably bumped the cable back into contact when you put in a new battery. But its worth reseating it to be sure for the long term.

Cheap insurance either way.