About to enter the android world

Discussion in 'Google Android (OS & Devices)' started by rickbishop, Jul 18, 2019.

1. rickbishop

rickbishop Member

So I'm one of the last windows phone holdouts, and things are just starting to get annoying. My 950XL is rapidly becoming a dumb phone, and I really don't like iOS, so I'm looking at android, and I have questions.

Firstly, I'm looking for something big. I've considered a samsung S10+ because of the size and availability of accessories, but if there's anything bigger with less bloat and the same available accessories, I'm definitely open to suggestions. Has to match my 950XL for features (QI wireless charging, USB C, SD card slot).

Secondly, is 5G worth getting? I'll be buying it outright to use on the optus network for as long as possible.

Thirdly, I am somewhat concerned about the evil google empire. Call me a backwards old barstard if you will, but I'm not quite with the concept of using voice control (mainly because the devices I've used have been shit at it) and I'd rather not have google listening to everything I say, so can I turn that shit off?

Whatever I get, I'll be loading it with microsoft (onedrive, office 365, probably a decent launcher, edge).

Finally, can I use my existing outlook/onedrive as my contacts, or do I have to migrate every bloody thing to google?

In a word, HELP!

2. doug81

doug81 Member

OK, so I'd be taking a look at the Mi Mix 3 5g

https://www.mi.com/global/mix-3-5g/specs/

Big-ass screen, 10W Wireless charging, top end processor, 6gb RAM, USB-C (just noticed no card slot though, so depends if 128gb is enough)

Also comes in a non-5G variant, but if you're wanting to cover yourself then this might be OK. 5G is still pretty early, and I'd be expecting a good year or two before you're going to see it as a necessity, but this phne has Band 28 so it's going to get you 4Gx/4G+

Standard MIUI isn't too bad, but you can chuck on Nova Launcher for a bit of an improvement.

OneDrive/O365 etc are all fine on Android, using them with no issues. You need a Google account for Android though, same as you need an apple account for iPhone, but doesn't need to really use anything. Can register with your current outlook email and use that for your contacts as well so you don't need to migrate to gmail or anything...

Also, phone finder here - https://www.gsmarena.com/search.php3?

3. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

No, you don't have to migrate everything to Google. You'll need a Google account to use the Play store, but any free gmail.com account will do.

Once you've got the Office 365 suite and associated bits on your phone, you can use it as your source for contacts, emails, documents, notes, etc. Microsoft's Android tools are pretty comprehensive these days.

All the evil Google do, Microsoft, Amazon and Apple do too. There's no "better" or "worse" here. They're all bastards. If you're truly concerned about your privacy, don't use cloud vendors at all.

You're not protecting yourself by choosing one of these vendors over the other.

4. OP
    OP
    rickbishop

rickbishop Member

That phone finder doesn't seem to work, I've selected everything I want but it won't let me hit the button.

Anywho, the lack of a SD slot is a dealbreaker.

I'm not really that fussed about 5G. 4G seems to be plenty fast enough for pretty much everything, even when I occasionally share my phone data with my tablet to watch netflix.

5. sanjay

sanjay Member

yeah agree with elvis, not sure picking microsoft over google makes you any safer/better off in the online world.

I have a galaxy S10 and its wonderful. a real left field option would be to import an LG G8 from the US: https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/173930514763?ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2649

use a freight forwarder like planet express both for cheaper postage (free to the depot, and cheaper from depot to Australia) and to avoid eBay's bullshit GST and import charges.

if you do get an S10/S10+ i strongly recommend the snapdragon version (G9730/G9750 or G973U/G975U) over the exynos version we get in australia. I bought mine on eBay from MyMobile (G9730 model) but you can get them pretty cheaply from buybuybox.com (under $800 AUD + about $30 shipping from HK, no GST charges).

snapdragon version performs better, runs cooler, and has better standby life.

6. Zee

Zee Member

It really hurts my head as to why they have different processors for different regions like that...

Is there actually a good reason for it?

Z...

7. Zee

Zee Member

Exactly - they will all bend you over and butt rape you.

It's just a matter of choosing which one you prefer to do the butt raping.

Z...

8. kbekus

kbekus Member

Samsung Galaxy Note 9? Qi charging - tick. USB C - tick. SD card - tick.

Typical Samsung bloat sure, still seems a fairly snappy performer, and a descendant of the first phablet so a decent size. I'm not a fan of the curved edges, but meh.

Yeah the whole "I'm in your email reading ur stuffz" thing is interesting but as pointed out above, they all do it. It surprised me a bit this morning when I forwarded some boarding pass PDFs from my private email to GMail and a few minutes later Google Assistant popped up on my phone telling me my upcoming flight was on time and offered various things like weather at my destination... it had scanned my PDFs and inferred that I was catching a flight...

9. sanjay

sanjay Member

i think that samsung just realises they can force their shitty exynos processors on certain parts of the world but that certain other parts of the world (mainly US) wont tolerate it.

this has been happening since at least the S6, I think.

10. JSmithDTV

JSmithDTV Member

Huawei... Oppo.

JSmith

11. miicah

miicah Member

Licensing I think?

12. kbekus

kbekus Member

Earlier on different SoCs had different frequency capabilities so depending on the region you'd get the appropriate SoC. These days I'm not sure why they bother with different SKUs.

13. sir_bazz

sir_bazz Team Papparazi

If you're not planning to use dual SIM's then the 2nd SIM slot doubles as a micro SD card holder. Think this is a universal feature of all? dual SIM phones but I could be talking shite so double check before committing.

14. doug81

doug81 Member

Not true for all dual SIM phones unfortunately, but plenty out there that have this so I'm sure he'll find something that meets the requirements.

I think this search covers it? Might have missed something - https://www.gsmarena.com/results.ph...harging=selected&s4Gs=28&sOSes=2&idCardslot=1

15. sir_bazz

sir_bazz Team Papparazi

Yeah that search criteria includes B28, wireless charging, usb-c.
    Removing those additional refinements gives 533 results.

Another website gives around 850 results for phones with a "hybrid sim" slot.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2019
  16. l_ QuadX_l

l_ QuadX_l Member

My Sony XZ Premium is hybrid, (supports dual sim OR SDcard) but I believe it depends on regional firmware to support dual sim, even if phone hardware should support it. Tried a second sim in my XZP with a hybrid adapter I bought from fleabay and it didn't see a second sim at all (using standard Australian Sony firmware) yet sd card does work fine with hybrid adapter.

17. sir_bazz

sir_bazz Team Papparazi

Had a quick look at the SIM install guide for your Sony and it looks completely different to what I'm familiar with. Sony proprietary slot I'd say.

More typically, the hybrid sim slot is just a tray for 2 cards.

dc-Cover-665ob5ke1jkb1l20ivfod2hlr4-20160929164351.Medi.jpeg

Edit: Hope this isn't too far off topic and the info helps the OP decide on a device.

18. l_ QuadX_l

l_ QuadX_l Member

Yes it appears to be proprietary, and the first sim slot SUCKS to get the tiny sim card to stay in the tray, very fiddly! I've attached image of how 2nd sim "hybrid" adapter actually contains sim2, this is the design for XZP dual sim phones. Sorry if this is getting a little off subject!!

[​IMG]
    Edit: this Sony YouTube dual sim install guide shows it much better!

19. OP
    OP
    rickbishop

rickbishop Member

So I actually held a samsung s10+ today. I hated it. It's not as wide (portrait) but it's longer than my 950xl.

Right next to it was the note 10+. I think that might be my go to. It's really not that much bigger than my 950xl (physically).

Now gotta work out which model is which. I've only seen the exynos australian models so far, so haven't been able to find a model number for a snapdragon one.

20. hawpinghaxbag

hawpinghaxbag Member

Seeing as the iphone 11 isnt even bothering with it and Telstra's 5G (4G with lipstick added on) will be $10 addon starting next year, dont worry about it till at least 2022