AC Wifi Adapter + AC AP = Operating on 802.11N?

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by -Sk3tChY-, Mar 13, 2018.

1. -Sk3tChY-

-Sk3tChY- Member

- Dell Optiplex 7050 running Windows 10 Pro w/ all updates
    - Ubiquiti UAP-AC-LR access point (located a few metres away with clear line of site)
    - TP-LINK Archer T1U Wireless USB Adapter (AC450)

When I take a look at the connection properties in Windows it says it's only connected at 802.11n with speeds fluctuating between 100-200 Mbps or so.

When I try transferring a large single file from a NAS which is definitely capable of 100MB/s+ transfer speeds (tested on another wired connection) I only get about 6-7MB/s over this wifi connection.

[​IMG]

The confusing thing is - within the Unifi Controller it looks as if the adapter is connecting at 802.11ac - I will try getting a screenshot of this a little later.

I understand that the advertised wifi speeds are always theoretical - but the circumstances for this connection really feel like they couldn't be any better:

- The Ubiquit AP (to my knowledge) is a great AP and should be more than capable of 802.11ac (up 450 Mbps on 2.4Ghz and 867Mbps on 5GHz)
    - Running the latest Unifi Controller (5.6.30) and Firmware on the AP (3.9.19.8123)
    - The AP is very underutilized; only a handful of connections to it
    - The AP and Wifi Adapter are literally only a few metres apart and have clear line of site
    - The adapter is running on 5GHz (doesn't have radio for 2.4GHz)

So I was hoping to at least get something a little quicker than this. Am I missing something? Is there some special config I need to do? Any suggestion for how I could test further?

Any help much appreciated.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
  2. Sledge

Sledge Member

Channel bonding turned on? (if you can find that setting)

I have the same issue connecting to an iiNet TG1 modem..
    whereas i can connect to another modem at full speed

3. OP
    OP
    -Sk3tChY-

-Sk3tChY- Member

Where would I need to look for this channel bonding option? Wifi adapter or AP?

I did come across those "Advanced" options with the adapter (which I've shown in the screenshot above) but doesn't look to be a channel bonding option - unless it goes by another name? I'll have access to the machine again tomorrow to look further.

Well the Ubiquiti AP's are supposed to be business-grade stuff, so I'd like to think the AP is setup to operate on 802.11ac without a problem.

Admittedly though, configuration of these things can get pretty intense and I've never done anything beyond simply installing the controller software and doing the initial setup to add an AP or two. I've never actually gone beyond that and enabled/disabled any options. Not sure if there's perhaps something on the Unifi end that I need to configure/enable?

From memory though, when I checked this originally - my iPhone looked as if it was connected on 802.11ac and even this TP-Link adapter. I'll try dig up pics of the Unifi controller tomorrow.

4. Sledge

Sledge Member

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
  5. bcann

bcann Member

are you using wpa2/tkip by any chance? If so piss that off and go wpa2/aes, tkip is known to only run at slower speeds.

WPA and TKIP compatability options can also slow down your Wi-Fi network. Many modern Wi-Fi routers that support 802.11n and newer, faster standards will slow down to 54mbps if you enable WPA or TKIP in their options. They do this to ensure they’re compatible with these older devices.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2018
  6. OP
    OP
    -Sk3tChY-

-Sk3tChY- Member

Will have a read through this and see if it helps - looks to be an old article though and related to 802.11n, not sure if it will help with 802.11ac.

Will take a look at this and let you know. I've never done any specific configurations on the Ubiquiti AP / Unifi Controller - so it will be using default settings.

Ubiquiti AP's (form what I've heard) are supposed to be great - I'd have thought it would be configured to run at 802.11ac speeds by default.

7. bcann

bcann Member

They are great, i run a fleet of them, but if you misconfigure them, they'll also allow that to happen too.

8. Sledge

Sledge Member

What would you suggest here:
    [​IMG]
    I'm currently on WPA2 PSK

9. OP
    OP
    -Sk3tChY-

-Sk3tChY- Member

Yeah, I understand the Unifi Controller can be very powerful/overwhelming - there's a heck of a lot of config options; the majority of which, are well beyond me and things I've never touched.

I guess I'd have just thought the AP's would be geared towards operating at optimal (or at least ideal) 802.11ac speeds out-of-the-box without any additional setup.

Anyway, I've taken a look at the Unifi Controller, basically just logged in and went to Settings > Wireless Networks > Edit (on the only wifi network we have):

[​IMG]

I took a quick look through most of the settings, including encryption method and it is indeed set to AES/CCMP only (not TKIP), so at least that's not it.

I've literally not touched any of this stuff in the controller, so everything would be default - I've only gone through the initla AP setup which creates a wifi network for you.

Perhaps anything else I should consider looking at?

The WiFi adapter only operates on 5GHz so it's definitely operating on the ideal band.

I suppose I could try reinstalling the driver, from memory I just went into Device Manager and added the drive via this method to avoid installing any additional bloatware crap; usually the vendors supply some dodgy wireless connection software that I find annoying. I guess this MAY provide some additional options. Will report back once I've done this.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2018
  10. bcann

bcann Member

it wasn't until i looked at your wireless adaptor and how small the thing is, its basically the size of a usb keyboard dongle, no wonder you wind up with shitty speeds. As to why its only getting "N" standard i don't know i'd look at the drivers on that one, have you got something else like a newer generation mobile phone you can try and see if it connects at "AC" to rule out shitty drivers for the tp link.

To be honest i run the top end ubiquiti at my house, and even from a htpc that is about 4-5 metres away from the WAP, the most i get is around 50-60MB/sec and from my laptop approx 2 walls and 4.5m away i get around 26-30MB/sec. Don't bother believing the marketing hype that you'll somehow get 1100Mbit/sec it will never happen, most people will likely get around 30MB/sec sustained throughput, assuming there are walls inbetween.

I'd also turn on channel bonding on the AP

go to Devices --> highlight AP --> COnfiguration on AP -->Radios -->Radio 5G --> turn on to VHT80, this will increase throughput.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2018
  11. OP
    OP
    -Sk3tChY-

-Sk3tChY- Member

From memory both the dongle and my iPhone X appeared to be connecting as 802.11ac from the Unifi Controller, but the dongle shows as 802.11n from Windows and the transfer speed is very poor.

I understand the thing is tiny and was never expecting anywhere near the advertised 433Mbps, but I was hoping for something a little better than the 56Mbps (7MB/s) we're currently getting; especially given the circumstances; the connection itself is showing more than double that on the client - 135Mbps, gets as high as 200Mbps.

Completely understand, if we were getting 30MB/s, I'd be a happy man. We're currently not even getting a third of this speed and that's with the AP literally only a few metre's away with a clear line of site.

go to Devices --> highlight AP --> COnfiguration on AP -->Radios -->Radio 5G --> turn on to VHT80, this will increase throughput.

Will have a crack at this and get back to you, thank you for the recommendation.

I've removed the dongle temporarily and am going to test it further at my place with a different router (Optus NBN supplied Sagecomm thing) and see if I get anything better.

EDIT: So I just tested things out on my home network, which uses the Optus supplied Sagecomm F@ST 3864AC (no additional/special config) and I'm already seeing a significantly better connection:

[​IMG]

Shows up as 802.11ac, shows the connection speed as 292Mbps and transfers the same file from a similar NAS at a sustained speed of about 18.5-19.5MB/s (about 152Mbps).

Still a little disappointing I suppose considering the connection shows as being connected as almost double that - I would have hoped for something closer to 30MB/s.

Definitely much better than the 7MBs/56Mbps I'm getting in the other environment.

Considering pretty much all of the variables here are the same/similar aside from the AP, it would seem it's the Ubiquiti UAP-AC-LR that's letting me down somehow; likely something to do with the configuration.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2018