Academic Games Research.. with prize draw!

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by kellievella, Feb 28, 2013.

1. kellievella

kellievella Member

Hi there,
    My name is Kellie Vella and I’m a Phd candidate in the human-computer interaction discipline at the Queensland University of Technology. I’m conducting research in co-operation with my supervisor, Daniel Johnson, into how videogames influence your thoughts and feelings.

If you’d like to help me in this study I’m looking for people of any age to complete a twenty-minute online questionnaire. In return for your participation, you can choose to enter a draw to win one of ten $100 gift cards, made up of five $100 JB Hi Fi giftcards (offered to Australian residents only) and five $100 Amazon giftcards (redeemable at amazon.com worldwide).

If you're interested please go to: http://tiny.cc/vgsurvey

There you'll be provided with further information to ensure that your decision and consent to participate is fully informed.

Please note that this study has been approved by the QUT Human Research Ethics Committee (approval number 1200000472).

Many thanks for your consideration of this request.

Oh, and I should mention that the results of this study should be published in April if all goes to plan (address supplied at the end of the survey).

2. Gelms

Gelms New Member

Done, Just completed it!

Good luck with your research. :)

3. OP
    OP
    kellievella

kellievella Member

Thanks so much! :thumbup:

4. bueller

bueller Member

Done, best of luck!

5. 6wolfy9

6wolfy9 Member

Done! good luck with your phd!

If there are any findings, can you post them here in this thread!? :)

6. Rubberband

Rubberband Member

I would remove all the other threads except this one. Cross posting is not allowed.

Done by the way, interesting one.

7. Pinkeh

Pinkeh Member

done. good luck

a lot more clarity than other research surveys that have come before.

8. Scroosh

Scroosh Member

Filled it out too... Good luck!

9. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Done. Good luck with the research. :thumbup:

10. Bern

Bern Mind the gap!

Hi Kellie, welcome to OCAU.

This is just a polite reminder of the forum term and conditions that you agreed to when you started your account, one of which was to not post the same thing in multiple forums, I've closed the other three instances of this post but not deleted them or banned you for a spammer as it's in good cause and seems like an innocent mistake.
    All the bast for your research,
    Bern.

11. kreegor

kreegor Member

Done. I found some of questions were in multiple spots. Perhaps I misread the though. I am very tired.

Good luck with it all.

12. thecondor

thecondor Member

Done.

All the best mate. :thumbup:

13. OP
    OP
    kellievella

kellievella Member

Hi and thanks everyone for completing the survey.

Bern and Rubberband: Sorry about cross-posting, but I had emailed James with a list of groups I'd be posting to and he ok'd it, so I thought it was cool. Maybe it got missed in the body of the email. The reasoning behind it was wanting to get a sample of people who play a range of games. Obviously PC games has got the most members, but I was concerned that I was missing out on people who play casually on their phone or other device. In any case, thanks for keeping this one up, and again apologies for messing with the rules :)

Can I ask if it's ok then to run this in PC Games for a few days, take it down and then post it in another group?

Last edited: Mar 1, 2013
  14. Rubberband

Rubberband Member

No need to apologise to me, I was just helping you cover your ass :)

15. OP
    OP
    kellievella

kellievella Member

Ha! Thanks. Hey by the way, this forum is the best one I've come to for responses, and I don't think it was just due to the cross-postings. I'll make a note to let everyone know when the results are up. Thinking April at this point.

One more thing: if anyone reading this has friends that play games (on their phone, ipad, only at mates' places, etc) but doesn't consider themselves a gamer, could you recommend this survey to them? There seems to be a cultural understanding of what a gamer is and isn't, but my understanding of it is that almost everyone plays games these day and I'm trying to reach the whole spectrum. Cheers!

Last edited: Mar 1, 2013
  16. somewigi

somewigi Member

Just finished.

Good luck with your study. :thumbup:

17. Gunlock

Gunlock Member

Also just finished.

Have you posted this in the various IGDA Facebook groups? If not, I don't mind doing it on your behalf.

18. r3s

r3s Member

Just finished the survey, pretty easy to understand/fill out.

Will repost my feedback here as well

"The question about playing solo/online etc was quite vague, i play online a lot , i play online solo in my current game more but do party quite often as well when others are online.
    Also in most other games i play co-op in teams etc so might not be a accurate reflection being related to just the most current game i am playing as it is different to the majority of games i usually play."

19. OP
    OP
    kellievella

kellievella Member

Gunlock: if you want to pass on details of this survey via your own social media please feel free to. I haven't approached IGDA yet and seriously, the more angles the better. Thanks!

r3s: that's good feedback. I realised the items I used in the survey wouldn't capture everyone's exact experience, and getting people to focus on the last game they played wouldn't necessarily capture their preferred way of playing, but it will hopefully take a snapshot of the diverse ways people do play (which isn't always the ideal experience). I'll be taking feedback like yours into consideration during the analysis of the data and for the design of my next study, so thanks for taking the time for a thoughtful response.

20. supernom

supernom Member

I completed the survey. I tried my best but some of questions don't really make sense when the game I entered is http://www.assettocorsa.net/en/ lol.
    But still it was the game I most recently bought and played at least once which was the question!