access neighbours adsl via mobile phone ???

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by glenpinn, Jul 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brodsta

brodsta Member

Even if it comes with a factory WPA key, if the neighbour is savvy (which he appears to be) he could just sit there brute-forcing it for a few hours or days. Spiceweasel, BAM, free intarwebs. Now I've added some flesh, might I add:

THIS THREAD DELIVERS.

2. KillerBunny

KillerBunny Member

Bern Edit: LOL just banned you and two other idiots for ignoring my previous post, massive fail for all three of you.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2009
  3. looktall

looktall Working Class Doughnut

yeah maybe, but on his mobile phone?

EDIT: plus the neighbour reckons the link is wide open, suggesting that either the router has been reset and the wireless security disabled or he is hitting someone else's wireless.

4. Paul Warren

Paul Warren Member

5. the scotsman

the scotsman Member

Since you weren't aware of the fact it had wifi, I'm assuming it's not being used by anyone in the house. Simple solution would be to disable it if it's not needed.

6. matthew-r88

matthew-r88 Member

have set up or reconfigured a number of peoples modems, some modems D-link from what i remember (it's been a while) have wireless switched on by default with no security, e.g. see wireless network, click connect, free internet

or its got a simple password like "Password" :D

7. beardedgeek

beardedgeek Member

well don't iphones and others have 802.11 access these days?

and how has the op "setup" their router to work with internode? has he done a factory reset or similar to put in the new details, he has mixed up a few terms so maybe he's uncertain what he did.

8. 2xCPU

2xCPU Member

Do your friends a favour, don't offer to help with their networking.

9. Fatmantan

Fatmantan Member

Great read for a Friday morning :thumbup:

OP: You really need to settle down as everyone here is just trying to help you and educate you (even if you think you dont need it).

First up, dont assume anything. CHECK to see if the modem /router has wireless built in.

The first thing you should have done is to log into the router to establish if it has wireless. This is your fault entirely. You set it up, you should know these things.

Hope you can figure this all out.

10. Grotburger

Grotburger Member

I think this line says it all...

glenpinn I think you learned the hard way how to approach asking for advice on a nerd-forum (as my wonderful girlfriend refers to OCAU). Never assume that you know everything and be thankful for people offering advice - they are cheaper then tech support :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.