Acer aspire F5-572 dead, no power

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting Help' started by Dass Booty, Jul 14, 2019.

1. Dass Booty

Dass Booty Member

I've been asked to fix this laptop. I'm great with software and replacing bits, but I don't think I can fix this.

I'm told the laptop crashed while being used on a foam mattress then would boot but wouldn't play games for very long before crashing. There was and is no odour and the magic blue smoke has not escaped.

I plugged it in and the laptop does nothing. No charging lights. Does not get warm and the power pack stays cool. I tried a universal power pack which had the same results.

Is this laptop deceased? An ex-computer? If I open it up am I likely to find something fixable like a broken solder joint in the power socket? It's a bit wiggly. Maybe a fuse with a flashing REPLACE ME light?

2. FOTW

FOTW Member

I think the DC ports on these are separate from the main board which is a easy fix.

Sometimes the port degrades and fails its usually a cheap and easy replacement. Have a look at the DC port and have a look for any wear and tear. Especially if the center pin is in good condition.

https://www.dcincable.com/acer-aspi...cable-input-assembly-harness-wire-p-9380.html

Other than that try re-seating all components, RAM, HDD, CPU, network card etc and see if that fixes issue. Other than taht it could be a faulty Main board in that case most likely not worth fixing.

Double check the power adapter with a multimeter to make sure its defiantly not dead and working

Dass Booty likes this.
  3. de_overfiend

de_overfiend Member

simple fix could be this:
    remove battery and power
    hold power button down for 30 seconds - no less - then release
    plug in power adapter only (no battery) and attempt to power on
    if powers on then plug in battery and away you go.
    if not power on repeat the process ensuring you hold power button down properly for 30+ seconds

Dass Booty likes this.
  4. OP
    OP
    Dass Booty

Dass Booty Member

Thanks for the advice FOTW and de_overfiend. I've ordered a spudger kit to open the laptop, damn thing doesn't want to safely come apart with a kitchen knife.

5. OP
    OP
    Dass Booty

Dass Booty Member

I've had a look inside the laptop and I can see nothing fixable by me. The DC port looks fine, I unplugged the battery, held the rest button for 30 seconds twice.

I was just told the laptop worked but the fan no longer spun. The guy was using it like this until it crashed and shutdown, then they restarted it until it no longer booted. Maybe something over heated and died. Nothing looks damaged but I doubt they have the budget to get it fixed.

Is this laptop (Acer Aspire f5-572g-595m) likely to have any value as parts? The screen should be fine, DVD and RAM too. I'll be recommending replacing this laptop with a tower PC (hard to kill) and they could use the money.