Acer Nitro XV273KP 4k 144hz Freesync IPS

Discussion in 'Video Cards & Monitors' started by DCPTR, Jan 17, 2019.

1. DCPTR

DCPTR Member

I noticed this monitor for sale this week and iam wondering if anyone has tested it to see how good it is and if it works with nvidias v-sync driver update. This could be an affordable monitor for those wanting 4k gaming

Last edited: Jan 17, 2019
  2. cheddle

cheddle Member

Here is a copy pasta from the general 4k freesync high refrehs rate thread: https://forums.overclockers.com.au/threads/cheaper-4k-120hz-vrr-and-hdr-monitor-list-thread.1259288/

I just received the Acer Nitro XV273KP. I like it. my thoughts after a day of use are below. Ultimatly deciding if this monitor makes sense for you requires asking yourself the question 'do you really need HDR10, or do you just want more pixels at a refresh rate you can live with?'

some background:
    My pc is a stock 2700x and an AIB 1080ti AIO

I've been using a viewsonic XG2703-gs (27 inch 165hz gsync 1440p IPS) for a little over a year now, and I also have an LG 27ud58-b (27 inch 60hz freesync 4k IPS) as a secondary monitor that I occasionally game on instead of the viewsonic.

In terms of general usability in Windows, around 110dpi works best (27inch 1440p) - I find 160dpi (27inch 4k) to be usable however it can be tiring for prolonged use - I run chrome at 125% zoom and find that perfect and I appreciate the added sharpness. Windows scaling is terrible, dont use it. However for games and video the difference is noticeable up to around 300-400dpi (modern mobile phones for example are around 400dpi). The difference between 110dpi and 160dpi is a huge improvement - seeing as I use this PC for gaming and not productivity, the more pixels the better.

The LG 27ud58-b supports freesync from a very narrow range of 40-60hz and has no LFC (low framerate compensation) so its quite limited, its not 'supported' by gsync however it works just fine! I played around with this first before deciding to shift from gsync to freesync on an nvidia card.

on to the Acer Nitro XV273KP:

The good:
    - almost half the price of other 4k 144hz monitors currently available on the market and only some 'small' compromises for such a huge saving
    - no active cooling fan, silent.
    - Freesync implementation is indistinguishable from Gsync
    - Use either Nvidia or AMD GPUs and still get adaptive refresh rate
    - LFC (low framerate compensation) means the Freesync range is practically lower than the claimed 40hz (if the game is running at 35fps the screen will run at 70hz and show the frame twice - in fact it does this for anything lower than half the maximum refresh rate)
    - great colour coverage, a significant improvement over the 27inch 1440p 144hz AU optronics of last gens bread and butter gsync/freesync monitors
    - anti-glare coating is not overly grainy
    - finally can take advantage of the GPU! COD BO4 runs 80-100fps in multiplayer, Rust runs around 60-100fps, doom runs at a solid 120fps - all at 4k with maxed settings

The bad:
    - Freesync not an option above 120hz (makes 144hz mode practically useless for gaming)
    - no local dimming means it dosn't have the same brightness, contrast and HDR certification that other full local array dimming displays have (the $2,500 g-sync ultimate monitors)
    - Its 'only' HDR400 (but has a peak brightness of 500nits)
    - Cant use Freesync and HDR at the same time
    - 144hz mode (or 120hz 10-bit 4:4:4) requires two DP cables and blocks the use of HDR and/or Freesync
    - I am yet to get 98hz 10-bit 4:4:4 to work, this would require a custom resolution as its not presented by EDID (but technically possible over DP1.4)
    - achieving more than 60fps in AAA titles is hard... games like shadow of the tomb raider run at 40fps average at 4k, games like farcry5 run around 65fps average at 4k so the VALUE of this monitor vs a cheaper 60hz 4k with Freesync is diminished (if you get such a vibrant monitor to compare it against of course, because refresh inst all that counts)

The ugly:
    - HDR is a pain in the ass on a PC. Changing from HDR to SDR is a bit tedious and you do really frequently need to swap if you want to take advantage of HDR semi-regularly... Additionally if you change resolution while HDCP is in effect (netflix app for example) then your monitor will be set to black until the application is closed... handy... Further more the issue is that running HDR mode makes SDR content look very washed out and dull (note: fucking trash) and even when using a true HDR application the issue is that most applications dont 'line up' well with the peak brightness of this monitor. Games such as FarCry 5 'support' HDR however there is no preset for HDR400 or HDR600 and no way to manually dial the peak brightness value of the display (400nits) and as such the result is a very washy looking image that looks noticeably worse than SDR... HOWEVER titles such as Shadow of the Tomb raider DO allow you to tune the peak brightness! so no matter the flavor of HDR you can dial it in to get the right overall brightness range for your display, but it really dosnt look much better than SDR, if at all...

So... cool... turning on HDR is a pain, and worst of all it disables Freesync (I don't think this screen support Freesync2 HDR), and even when enabled very few titles are going to work correctly with HDR400 and WORST OF ALL it is BARLEY any better than SDR. (I am yet to try a console, I imagine their implementation to be better, and have only tried two games)

HDR400 is a REAL VESA certification however at this point its mostly useless, it only requires 400nits (most screens these days will do 350nits) and only requires 95% BT.709 coverage (most decent SDR IPS monitors will do 99% or higher)

https://displayhdr.org/performance-criteria/

TLDR;

120hz 4k gsync SDR monitor with 130% sRBG colour coverage, low input latency with decent pixel response times and low ghosting for HALF the price of the 144hz 4k gsync HDR10 monitors on the market today

SKITZ0_000 likes this.
  3. raincloudx

raincloudx Member

Thanks for the write up! I have been using mine for around a week and am very pleased with the display, however mine has a lot of clouding/bleed so might try get another one.

Also regarding the vrr range, have you tried using CRU to create a custom res?

Do you think there will be much benefit running at 10bit? Currently im using the 120hz 8 bit freesync (gsync) mode..

4. cheddle

cheddle Member

I’ve got some bleed in the upper corners and some preety bad uniformity on the left most edge of the screen but it’s really not noticeable during use. Certainly better bleed than some IPS units I’ve seen but until there are more samples in the wild it will be difficult to know what’s a good example or not.

The VRR range is big enough. LFC helps it when FPS is below the VRR that it’s kept in sync. AMD posted a good info page on LFC here https://www.amd.com/Documents/freesync-lfc.pdf

I personally don’t think 10bit is worth dropping to either 4:2:2 chroma subsampling (120hz) or dropping to 98hz (keep 4:4:4 subsampling) - it depends on the application as to how well it leverages 10bit. I do plan to use CRU to make some custom resolutions to test this out and decide from there.

If you struggle to tell the difference between 98hz and 120hz then there could be an added benifit by going for 10bit at 98hz (assuming a custom resolution can be created to support this, just like the 4k144hz gsync HDR10 panels do over a single DP1.4)