Acer Predator XB271HU issues

Discussion in 'Video Cards & Monitors' started by Supersize, Jan 1, 2020.

1. Supersize

Supersize Member

Hey guys.

Over the last week I've been having issues where the screen will go black for a split second then turn back on, this originally start just on the desktop, there is not Windows disconnect/reconnect sound when it happens, just the blue led goes on then off (I have it set to power saving).
    At first it wasn't happening in games, the last 2 days it's happening when gaming, at least 6 - 10 times a day.

I did the usual, brand new DP cable, rolled back drivers, reset monitor settings, lowered the frame rate to 120Hz from 144Hhz, disabled G-SYNC, all still the same thing.
    Wiggling the cables DP or Power won't recreate the issues, it's just intermittent, pretty much happens when it wants.

I still have 6 months of warranty left (July), but I highly doubt they'll use the monitor all day waiting for the problem to appear.
    I had zero issues until about a week ago.

Anyone else come across this?

Thanks.

2. Sledge

Sledge Member

Try on another PC and if it persists, then RMA it

3. OP
    OP
    Supersize

Supersize Member

Did one better, tried another monitor (27" Benq 144Hz), no problem.

Put the Predator back on, this time enabled Overclocking, set the frequency to 165Hz, something I have never done since I owned it, funny enough I haven't experienced the problem since.

Was plaything Witcher 3 since I made the first post until now, so about 5 hours.

4. walker_2003

walker_2003 Member

If it does it when not over clocked on your PC and others I'd return it.

To run at 165hz you lose IQ as it runs at 4:4:2

5. OP
    OP
    Supersize

Supersize Member

I'd say it is faulty, it's been running fine since I bought it, it's only the last week or so there's been a problem.
    Just started happening.

I would RMA it, but it's so intermittent I'd higher doubt they spend the time thoroughly testing it, so it would be a big waste of money and time.

The reason I overclocked it is I've read online some others had their Predator die after a week of running it at 165hz 24/7, so I was trying that to speed up the RMA process.

This is exactly what's started happening with mine

Update:
    Just after I typed this, I got the black flash using the overclocked 165Hz.

Update 2:
    Switched off Overclock, standard 144hz G-Sync and have had 2 flashes so far, one I managed to catch on camera while I was in Witcher 3, the other one just before I typed this, but I missed catching that on camera.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2020
  6. Sledge

Sledge Member

Then RMA while you can, unless you have plenty of $ to just throw it away and get another.
    If it's reproduce-able on another PC (even if it takes a little while) then they will see it.

7. Azzan

Azzan Member

Personally I'd def RMA and get it fixed while you still have 6 months warranty left. (since you have another 27" BenQ monitor)

I had similar problem on Samsung CFG70, sometimes I got artifacts all over the screen when you first turn it on(~1 of 10 times), artifacts lasted ~20-30secs then went away and it worked fine 100%.
    I had this problem from the start but didn't bother with RMA cos it was pretty minor issue, but ~year later problem became worse(happened more frequently and also lasted longer), so took the monitor to JB Hifi for RMA and they gave me new one ~2 weeks later.

8. OP
    OP
    Supersize

Supersize Member

In saying that, I was looking at getting a 32" high refresh 1440p in April, but I haven't been able to find anything besides Wides.
    Finding 27" a little small now, but I don't want to go full 4k even with the RTX 2080ti....

Actually I just found the Benq EX3203R, it's Freesync, but from what I've read it'll work with NVIDIA's G-Sync, cheaper than the Asus equivalent, and my 6 year old Benq 27" 1080p 144Hz is still going strong today.

I've got my phone recording my screen at the moment, so I can get in game (already done) and desktop flashing, still hasn't flashed again on the desktop since the last time.
    Sneaky thing must know I'm recording it.. :lol:

9. OP
    OP
    Supersize

Supersize Member

So here's the video of what my actual monitor doing its thing, still hasn't done it again on the desktop.

10. OP
    OP
    Supersize

Supersize Member

And now the sitting on the desktop video

I've now stuck my Benq xl270z on, running it at 144hz for the rest of the day and if it doesn't flash at all I'll do a RMA in the morning.
    This bloody 1080p TN panel SUCKS so badly :(

11. OP
    OP
    Supersize

Supersize Member

Ok, so no issues for me so far, but oddly enough none for my sons 7700k/GTX 1050ti which I connected the Predator too.

It's using the same settings as I was 144Hz@1440p, G-Sync enabled, hasn't has a single black screen flash.
    I am using a PCIE Riser cable (coolermaster vertical GPU mount), could that be causing it, it's not happening with the Benq though.

12. OP
    OP
    Supersize

Supersize Member

Just so you don't think I'm imagining this, here's 2 videos recorded one after another of me sitting down.

13. OP
    OP
    Supersize

Supersize Member

For ones who were following I sorted the problem out.
    It's ESD from my new chair, after seeing EEVblog's video I stuck a mat under my chair, black screen flicker stopped completely.
    Over a week now and not a single flicker.

I've had some feedback from others where they had desk lamps cause the same flicker when turning it on.
    Anyway if anyone experiences this with other monitors check what you're sitting on.

EEVblog #1107 – Shocking 4K BENQ Monitor Problem!

14. nope

nope Member

get a kogan as a spare because they actually work

15. greencamel65

greencamel65 Member

So I've been running about in circles trying to fix the exact same flickering with my XB271HU when i stand up or sit down. Replaced cables, tried different video cards....I also have a new chair. Who would have imagined!

16. nope

nope Member

could it be acer is garabge

17. OP
    OP
    Supersize

Supersize Member

Funny enough I was originally told it wasn't possible for a chair to cause it, seems it is because adding a mat stopped it completely even with the original cable.

It's not brand specific, the Benq in the video has the same problem, where my spare Benq 27" 144Hz didn't have the same problem when connected to my setup.

Hope this helps anyone with the same problem.