Acronis backups larger than source

Discussion in 'Storage & Backup' started by maldotcom2, Sep 14, 2017.

1. maldotcom2

maldotcom2 Member

Decided to finally trial Acronis True Image, and it does everything I need* except the destination files are oddly large. I'm imaging my 90% full 250GB OS drive and the backup is 320GB. This is over 100GB larger than using Paragon to backup the same data :Paranoid:

Google turns up several instances of people with the same problem, where Acronis give canned, non specific replies that never seem to acknowledge the problem to be software related, rather user error. Has anyone here experienced oversized backups and solved it?

*Full image scheduled cyclic backups of active boot drive to FTP location with auto delete of old versions and easy to use interface.

2. callan

callan Member

This is not going to help you, but I canned Acronis in 2015 for Macrium when they massively "dumbed down" the product and stripped many features out from it. (in particular they made mounting backup disk images a real shitfight). They also very late to the party dealing with UEFI.

The full Macrium product may be expensive, but it works a helluva lot better.

Callan

Last edited: Sep 18, 2017
  3. OP
    OP
    maldotcom2

maldotcom2 Member

This is my first experience with Acronis, so I cannot comment on the "dumbed down" product. However it's quite likely exactly what I need. For my application, a simple front end GUI is essential. The average baby boomer can't be right clicking to run a backup. There needs to be a big flashy button called "BACKUP", and no other distractions.

4. callan

callan Member

That's probably a fair comment: Macrium reflect can be a bit intimidating to the uninitiated, and it has it's quirks. It is well worth taking the time to understand Backup technology and methodology, as an incomplete/unrecoverable backup is worse than no backup at all.

This link has some information that might be of use - but I would advise against doing as the poster suggests as it prevents bare-metal recovery (a mandatory requirement, IMHO)

Callan

5. OP
    OP
    maldotcom2

maldotcom2 Member

The backup size issue seems to have magically resolved itself. I thought I had it nailed when I changed the "Snapshot for backup" setting from VSS to some other setting in options/advanced, as the resulting backup files size was appropriate. But upon returning to the recommended VSS, the backups are the same appropriate size as without VSS. Weird.

6. bcann

bcann Member

are you sure your not appending backups to the end of the first backup?

IE: Taking a full backup and then appending the differential backup to the end of the first backup file resulting in a larger file as you have a backup history now?

7. OP
    OP
    maldotcom2

maldotcom2 Member

Backups were set to "Full" and not "differential" or "incremental".