[WIN7] Active Disks

Discussion in 'Windows Operating Systems' started by IgglePiggle, Jul 9, 2019.

1. IgglePiggle

IgglePiggle Member

So I added a few more hard drives (storage) and inadvertantly marked them as 'active' ... theres nothing in Disk Management to change that and PC will now not boot up normally
    Ive been into bios and made sure the boot/OS drive is listed as first boot drive but that didnt help

I can boot up using the win7 disk

Any easy solutions to deleting their active status ? .... command prompt / diskpart? physically disconnecting the other drives ?

thanx :)

disk manager.png

missing.jpg

2. qwertylesh

qwertylesh Member

Hey you can use Diskpart from an administrative command prompt to mark them back to inactive.

Just please be careful commands such as delete and clean will very quickly wipe disks.

The syntax you need should be similar to this (iirc):

Diskpart
    List disk
    Select disk 2
    List partition
    Select partition 4
    List volume (confirm correct selection via asterix)
    Inactive
    Select disk 3
    List partition
    Select partition 6
    Inactive
    So on and so forth
    Exit

Make sure you identify the SSD disk incase its not 0 and dont inactive that it one

Once all but your actual disk0 is marked inactive it should fix your boot issue.

Good luck mate

Last edited: Jul 9, 2019
    IgglePiggle likes this.
  3. qwertylesh

qwertylesh Member

Fortuantely the platters are big and the ssds are small so you can ID the platters partitions to mark inactive easily :)

IgglePiggle likes this.
  4. OP
    OP
    IgglePiggle

IgglePiggle Member

cheers mate

the SSD was installed later and on the sata3 ports when I re installed windows on it .... so a couple of the other HDD were already there ... would that cause the SSD/OS to not show as disk0 ?

In other words is it the order the disks are installed or the actual slot they are plugged into that gives them their number?

5. qwertylesh

qwertylesh Member

The numbers and phys order doesnt matter as long as your ssd is the only one with the active partition

Ideally to be sure the os disk has the boot loader on it and so that doesnt end up on another disk, youd hang the other drives during install and plug them in later on.

If you still have problems you can hang the rest after making them inactive and use bcdedit to rescan and write the boot loader to the primary os disk.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2019
    IgglePiggle likes this.
  6. OP
    OP
    IgglePiggle

IgglePiggle Member

Well diskpart worked fine and the other disks no longer show as 'active' .... but it still wont boot

But I did notice that the 2TB disk is marked 'system' .... I didnt disconnect the other drives when I installed the OS on the SSD awhile back

So I guess it has the boot files on it :Paranoid:

system.png

Heres diskpart in action for those playing at home :)

diskpart.png

7. qwertylesh

qwertylesh Member

Ah yes, even in diskmgmt you can see that it shows system on the 2tb.
    Try mark ssd as inactive and mark that as active, as long as the disks havent been shuffled around and ssd has the same guid, the bootloader should point from the 2tb to the install on ssd.

That should get it working. Ssd must've been still marked active from an even more prior install

Also whys g fs raw?

IgglePiggle likes this.
  8. OP
    OP
    IgglePiggle

IgglePiggle Member

Yea the raw disk is an older drive (out of an external HDD) with backup files, I installed the other day ....... how can I change it without losing the files ?

9. Mace

Mace Member

The RAW drive might have lost its FAT.
    There are a few tools to restore that. I have used Testdisk by CGsecurity. There would be step by step guides on google.

IgglePiggle and qwertylesh like this.
  10. qwertylesh

qwertylesh Member

Was it a single enclosure, because dual or more could be raided together which may explain it, that or it was using a format not native (ie ext) and the enclosure was converting it through cifs, ie proprietary nas drives, if fs support is the cause you may be able to pull the data with something like rstudio, if it was in a raid enclosure rstudio can pull it too but youd need all the disks from that enclosure (if it striped) and setup a virtual array in rstudio

Is the enclosure cactus or something, u could try the disk via it if its still working to see if the fs still shows raw or if it somehow just works

IgglePiggle likes this.
  11. qwertylesh

qwertylesh Member

Did you get your os booting back up with diskpart/bcdedit?

12. Linkin

Linkin Member

Check your boot order in UEFI/BIOS and which order your disks are connected to the sata controller - you want your SSD/boot drive as disk 0

13. OP
    OP
    IgglePiggle

IgglePiggle Member

Havnt tried yet

..... that raw disk worked fine in the single external enclosure

Yea done the boot order a few times ... makes no difference

If the physical position on the motherboard makes it disk 0 then that cant change as its plugged into the sata 3 ports

If its the order u install them that gives them their number then my mistake, when installing the SSD and then the OS on it , was I didnt unplug all the other drives .... which also has caused the boot loader files to end up on the 2TB HDD

14. qwertylesh

qwertylesh Member

Its fine ( just annoying for you for future drive shuffles and such), the bootloader can be on the platt er, you just need that ones system partition to be the only active one.
    As long as the ssd guid is the same you should find itll boot once that change is done