Active speakers + sub without line out

Discussion in 'Audio Visual' started by wolfie870, May 5, 2015.

1. wolfie870

wolfie870 Member

Hey guys, trying to help a mate set up a set of active speakers + subwoofer.

Problem is, there is no line out on the speakers amp to plug both the sub and speakers in at the same time, and his TV outputs are limited.

My first idea was this setup, would a split line out from 1 channel only mean he misses out on some audio passing to the sub?

[​IMG]

Second idea was the following, however would the splitters and Y cable mean that the L & R are both mixed and he would lose the stereo sound?

[​IMG]

3.5mm is working well as it allows him to change the volume via the TV, I assume RCA wouldn’t let him do this as this would be line out rather than an audio out?

2. phreeky82

phreeky82 Member

What sub is it? Does it not have L+R inputs, as most do?

If it only has a single input, and assuming you actually have only those inputs to feed the sub (i.e. cannot bypass that amp) then your only other option is an active mixer circuit of some kind - again, most sub amps have one built in and provide L+R inputs.

Your first image will miss low freq for one of the channels, and your 2nd is bad news - and any passive solution (i.e. simply mixing using resistors) will introduce significant crosstalk and you'll basically get mono sound.