AD integrated DNS

Discussion in 'Business & Enterprise Computing' started by ra66it, Apr 5, 2011.

1. ra66it

ra66it Member

Hi

I am using AD integrated DNS. I only issue a primary IP for DNS via DHCP.

I'm guessing that I can issue one of the other DC's IPs as a secondary DNS server ?

2. one4spl

one4spl Member

Yep, use AD integrated DNS and install the DNS service on each DC. Point the clients to all of them. Only allow secure updates. Enable scavenging with the default settings.

Some other tips if you are new to the game- Google the terms for details-

* all your DCs should be Global Catalogues
    * the NIC configurations for each DC should refer to another DC/DNS as primary DNS and itself as secondary.. and any others further down the list if you have them.
    * add a reverse DNS zone, also AD integrated) for the internal IP range you use. You only need to do one for 10.*, not a zone for each subnet you use. It will create subfolders for each octet automatically.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2011
  3. OP
    OP
    ra66it

ra66it Member

Thanks.

The DC's all have DNS service running already so no issue there, and GC's are all set up properly.

The NIC's are not set up that way, so will check that out too.

4. one4spl

one4spl Member

yeah, a lot of people think that making itself its own primary is a good idea, and from an excess network traffic point of view it is... but the problem comes when you reboot - the "client" bits of the server cant resolve any DNS until its own DNS server starts which gets the machine in a bit of a chicken and the egg situation and it can take much longer to start than it would otherwise take.

The other problem is that the DNS Client uses the primary as the server it should update its DNS records via. So if the IP of the machine changes then it updates its own DNS but not anyone elses. Then none of the other DCs know its new Ip and it never replicates again.