1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Adam A5X Monitors

Discussion in 'PC Audio' started by raGneG, Jun 22, 2010.

1. raGneG

raGneG Member

Thinking about importing a pair of these from:

https://www.kmraudio.com/adam-a5x-pair.html

The reason? Well the best I can seem to do locally from a search on the internet is $1200 for the older A5's. $1200 is 700 GBP, so even if shipping was 90GBP from KMR that would still make it 200 GBP cheaper for the new model!

I'm going to be getting them mainly for general listening but I have all my gear ready for recording so they'll be used properly in the future. I expect these will last me a good many years.

Anyone ever ordered from this place or have any opinions on ordering something like this from overseas?

2. Ice009

Ice009 Member

How long have these new versions been out for? Is this new range much better than the older ones?

Have you asked about the shipping cost and how would warranty go?

3. DarkNation-

DarkNation- Member

New range has only been out a couple months, and they just boost the specs of the old series, no real dramatic change to the design.

4. OP
    OP
    raGneG

raGneG Member

I got a posted quote from KMR which when converted came to $907.00 AUD. Postage was like 120 GBP!! Crazy.. but still works out $300 AUD cheaper than the cheapest A5 price I can find.

Definitely keen on these.

5. DeejW

DeejW Member

Ive used the old A5 series quite a bit in the studio, my 2c:

They are a very good studio monitor, uncovering every detail of mixes and they do it very well so make sure you have a think about this for general listening. The high end is very crisp and precise, probably due to the ribbon design. You dont want to put a huge amount of level through these obviously and there is not a lot of low end extension below 100hz but as a near field monitor paired with larger room monitors they are an excellent choice.

6. OP
    OP
    raGneG

raGneG Member

Lucky they have a fair amount of inbuilt customisation right? :) You can cut treble to suit if it's just listening, you can boost the bass too. These things will pump more than enough volume for my bedroom. Long as I have them fairly well placed I think they'll be good for home studio/general listening.

7. Ice009

Ice009 Member

That price sounds great and they are a newer model which is also awesome.

How many years warranty do they have? Have you asked about that stuff? Where would you have to ship them for warranty?

8. OP
    OP
    raGneG

raGneG Member

Warranty is 5 Years but I don't know how that would work. I wouldn't be keen on sending them back to the UK, that's for sure. So I'd look for a local repair person or the Australian distributor for repairs. I don't see why they'd have a problem with it if repairs are in house and they charge. That or the replacements would be credited to them. But yes, it's a complication/risk.. worth $300+ ? I kinda think so. I don't see Adam speakers breaking for no reason.

9. Ice009

Ice009 Member

Yeah, so you have already thought about it. All that stuff you just wrote you should ask the store your purchasing from in the UK.

Ask them if there is a place in Australia that they can go or somewhere closer than the UK.

10. OP
    OP
    raGneG

raGneG Member

From the email:

11. Ice009

Ice009 Member

Sounds pretty good mate. Are you going to buy the speakers?

12. Federal Audio

Federal Audio Member

Gentlemen

I'm the ADAM Audio distributor here in Australia and came across this thread.... I thought I'd just add a couple of facts to the conversation :D

They do look the same but the A5X is a total re-design from the old A5 and A7. The tweeter features the new X-Art tweeter which has 4db better efficiency and now goes up to 50Khz. The amp power in both the tweeter and the main woofer have doubled to 50 watts (putting it to where the old A7 was) and the voice coil is now larger. There is also the addition of dual porting (better bass response) and finally, a stereo link meaning you can turn the volume up on one speaker and the other follows suit.

Also, regarding buying overseas and warranty. I think you will find by the time you land a pair here from Europe/England/USA there will be little difference in the landed cost by the time you factor in the real exchange rate (you will rarely get what's quoted on XE etc), if you use a credit card there will be a currency conversion fee, freight from abroad, 5% import duty and the 10% GST on the total amount.

As for warranty, the ADAM warranty states that unless you ship back to you place of purchase they will provide replacement parts free of charge but not service costs. Factor in somewhere around $110 per hour for servicing costs. Typically by the time it's disassembled and tested, an hour is quite normal.

You are right in saying they rarely go wrong but I would always suggest you support you local dealer and keep the business in Australia. I'm not just mooking here, it's a wider issue and I believe unless you want nothing but multi-national chain stores or online shopping, support dealers who have demo stock, advice and an opinion.

YMMV

If you have any questions/flaming.... I'm here

Last edited: Aug 23, 2010
  13. OP
    OP
    raGneG

raGneG Member

How much is it realistically for a pair of A5X here in Australia?

14. Federal Audio

Federal Audio Member

Retail price is $1795. I can't speak for dealers but would expect they will have a street price somewhere around $1350 - $1400. Phone around and see who's doing deals.... (I have a dealer listing on my website)

Despite your quoted KMR price, I would expect your landed price to be $1200-$1250. So there is arguably a $100 difference. That's not be because the dealer or myself is pocketing extra money but rather, economies of scale. The UK turnover is somewhat larger than here in Aus and as such, they get a better buy price

15. OP
    OP
    raGneG

raGneG Member

Well these have been put on the back burner until I start working and get back ontop of things financially. Sad face for me.

Federal Audio, you don't want to sell a pair directly to me do you? :)

16. Federal Audio

Federal Audio Member

Hi raGneG

No.... it tends to piss my dealers off if I start doing that and I really need them on my side.

But when you're ready, PM me and I'll get a dealer to do you a sweetheart deal. How's that?

17. DarkNation-

DarkNation- Member

Have you had much time listening to and comparing the new X series Federal?
    I bought a pair of A7s shortly before the X series announcement and was wondering just how the new revision stack up against the original. No regrets though, the A7s are amazing speakers. The Sub8 is next on my shopping list :)

18. Federal Audio

Federal Audio Member

Hi DarkNation-

Yes I have and don't feel I'm pushing for you to upgrade or feel lees than satisfied with your A7's because undoubtably, the A7 is still a great speaker and set a new benchmark when they came out.

The AX series really is an improvement though, with the A7X, there's a couple of really noticeable areas: More presence on the bottom end - they now run down to 42Hz and although the sub level can now be heard for me it's the lower mid presence that's really helped. Twice the amp power, a new design for the woofer and dual ports have helped this.

And if you can believe it, even more detail on the hi-mid/top end. The new-X Art tweeter is fantastic, I would say it takes a while longer to "burn" in though. For the first 3-5 days I found it a little harsh but there was a noticeable difference after that time and it really softened up. The detail is very revealing and the mixes I've done since have more than convinced me to upgrade my own setup. I have the old P-33 (dual driver design) and have always loved them but both the AX and SX blow them away..... bugger!

With regard to your sub, I think you'll find it makes a massive difference for you. Yes, you can now hear that lower octave but I also think the A7 woofer benefits not having to do the heavy lifting of 120Hz downward.

As always, YMMV

19. DarkNation-

DarkNation- Member

Thanks for the info Fed!
    They sound like a marked improvement in the series.

20. OP
    OP
    raGneG

raGneG Member

So my pair of Adam A5X arrived today. Big thanks to Cris (Federal Audio) and Brisounds.com.au!! :D

Took em out of the box, had to wait a few moments for my hard on to go away. Remarked on how beautifully built they are and look. They're just sexy. Simple and classy. Chucked them on the desk, stereo linked the speakers so the right one was the volume control and realised I didn't have a stereo RCA cable around. Searched aroung and eventually found and plugged in a shitty stereo RCA cable. Will upgrade this. Anyway, plugged it into my Xonar Essence STX's RCA outputs. The other thing these will be plugged into is my Mbox 2 Pro. Set the speaker volumes to 0db, turned my source to nothing and turned on the speakers. They blew up.. ..kidding. Started a track in winamp, what was it.. oh right, Hypocrisy - Hang Him High. Immediately I was impressed with their presentation. The albums production is very treble heavy and rough.. on poor gear it sounds scratchy and annoying. These speakers were crisp without being harsh, and this is without a good burn in!

I've since listened to about an hour of music on them, with correctly positioning myself and not and I gotta say; I'm happy to welcome MYSELF to the world of studio monitors, not only for recording, but for listening as well. I DO NOT feel like I'm missing anything from hi-fi speakers and their signature sound characteristics. Flat is great when it's as dynamic, punchy and detailed as this. Out of correct listening position they sound good, closer to what most people are used to.. I'd say better than what 'most people' are used to. But for me, they sound good. In the correct listening position they get their chance to shine. Chucking on some less intense and heavy music, well, stuff like Nine Inch Nail's The Fragile for example and I'm hearing details I've not heard before. I'm not saying I'm hearing completely new piece of the song, I've been running Beyerdynamic DT250's for a while now. What I feel I'm hearing is those crispy treble details in the noise and fuzzy guitars etc being pushed out with ease. It's a different thing compared to the headphones. It has impact and texture.

...I could go on with my impressions over such a short amount of time. But I'll wait a while before continuing. I was pushing the volumes up a bit and I found my ears reacting with fatigue. After a good burn in and not pumping them for an hour straight into my ears I'm sure I'll have more to speak of.. but probably just re-enforcing the above comments. I'd definitely recommend these speakers.

Thanks again Cris/Federal Audio!

Last edited: Nov 23, 2010