1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

adding a PCI slot on mobo

Discussion in 'Modding' started by tiro_uspsss, Jun 29, 2008.

1. OP
    OP
    tiro_uspsss

tiro_uspsss Member

2. Mr. Bump!

Mr. Bump! (Banned or Deleted)

That board looks like its got the prerequisites to have extra slots on it either way. I'd be surprised if it didn't say PCI, or similar on the pins next to the chipset heatsink there.

You could probably do it if you're good enough at soldering, but you may cause issues with your BIOS.

Good luck either way it's an interesting project

EDIT: judging by the pictures above I was right, all you need to do is work out which one is actually a PCI slot and solder it up, and it should by rights work. It looks like the one across from the second PCI-E slot is meant to be a 32bit PCI slot which is what you'll need to get it to work

Last edited: Jun 29, 2008
  3. noboundaries-au

noboundaries-au Member

Assuming everything else is the same (and present) on the board, if you wanted to have a working PCI slot, might be able to crossflash.

4. OP
    OP
    tiro_uspsss

tiro_uspsss Member

5. wellonchompy

wellonchompy Member

So what was the result after that?

6. OP
    OP
    tiro_uspsss

tiro_uspsss Member

next step is to insert the pins back into the plastic slot, the insert the entire contraption into the mobo, solder & *bam* - done! :D

oh..

I almost forgot to tell u fellas.... ur all gonna hate me to the ends of the earth.. :Paranoid:

the system in question is quite literally months away from completion - I still need RAM, WC'ing, case, HDDs, DVDdrive &... thats about it.. oh & PSU :D

so while the mod will be completed this week.. testing to see if it is successful will be yonks away :upset: :p

let the hate flow! :lol:

7. OP
    OP
    tiro_uspsss

tiro_uspsss Member

just a lil info of the platform:

the platform has the code-name 'Sossaman'

the sockets are 479. Thats right 479, exactly like the centrino platform from not long ago.. in fact the CPUs that fit on the mobo are Core Duo lappie CPUs, with whatever Intel adds so that u can only use the ones actually 'labelled' Xeon. There are only two model CPUs for this mobo: 1.6Ghz & 2Ghz. Since they are essentially lappie CPUs, they are very power efficient, low heat ouput CPUs :thumbup:

I have 2x 2Ghz CPUs already in possession.. FSB is 667, 2MB cache.. the down-side to this platform is the fact that the CPUs are only 32-bit :( - but with PAE, the mobo can take a max. of 16GB RAM.. the RAM needed is DDR2/ECC/REG. Max recognised speed is DDR2-400.. I will be putting in 8GB (apparently 16GB causes issues). 8GB of this type of RAM is relatively cheap, seeing as its DDR2 based.

for more info, 'support', & pics of this platform, have a squiz here: http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=184077

8. Renza

Renza Member

so it was the previous skulltrail?

9. OP
    OP
    tiro_uspsss

tiro_uspsss Member

lol
    no way! :D
    esp. considering it only has one PCI-X slot & one PCI-Express x8 slot.. that means NO GPU unless u use the onboard, or a PCI v.card, or.. u file open the PCIEx8 slot - but then any v.card will be bound to x8 ;)

10. OP
    OP
    tiro_uspsss

tiro_uspsss Member

if the mod is successful, I will add a PCI-Express x8 slot to the mobo :D

11. OP
    OP
    tiro_uspsss

tiro_uspsss Member

UPDATE

'side B' has all its pins in:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. ford ftw

ford ftw Member

Thats a lot of soldering!

13. OP
    OP
    tiro_uspsss

tiro_uspsss Member

? which pic u looking at? the one with the pins in the plastic involves no soldering 'fyi' - but the pins did have to be soldered off - & yes it was a B-ITCH!
    Then the holes in the subject mobo had to have the solder cleared out - that too was an interesting & tedious task!

14. OP
    OP
    tiro_uspsss

tiro_uspsss Member

here are a couple pics of the 'pins', there are 2 types..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. OP
    OP
    tiro_uspsss

tiro_uspsss Member

ok, all pins in plastic slot - just have to straighten them so that they all go into the holes in mobo easily! :/

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Mr. Bump!

hey?

It looks like you've soldered out a PCI-X slot on your board rather then a 32bit PCI slot?

17. OP
    OP
    tiro_uspsss

tiro_uspsss Member

:D that is correct! PCI-X works the same as PCI - I liked the position of said slot better :D :thumbup:

18. Mr. Bump!

thats news to me that PCI-X works the same as PCI. I guess it just takes into account the extra connector on a 64bit PCI card when the slot decides whether to run in 64bit or 32bit

19. OP
    OP
    tiro_uspsss

tiro_uspsss Member

yep - say u have ONE PCI-X controller with diff spec (32/64 bit, 33/66/100/133mhz) slots - as soon as u put a card in with lower specs than one that is already in another slot, the entire PCI-X will change spec to that of the lowest spec'd card - hope I was clear enough there :D :thumbup:

edit: take for instance the PCI-X slot that is already on the mobo - its spec'd @ 64/133.. but I will be putting in a PCI (32/33) v.card - so the entire PCI-X (including the slot that i'm modding) will now revert back to PCI spec :)

Last edited: Jun 30, 2008
  20. Mr. Bump!

interesting... I guess I haven't played around with enough workstation class motherboards to find one with PCI-X to play with