1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

adding a PCI slot on mobo

Discussion in 'Modding' started by tiro_uspsss, Jun 29, 2008.

1. OP
    OP
    tiro_uspsss

tiro_uspsss Member

meh, I found out the whole PCI-X/PCI thing long ago - but this is my first mobo with PCI-X (as well as my first mobo with 2 sockets, 8 DIMM slots etc) - I guess its good I knew that about PCI-X/PCI - otherwise I would have been 'forced' to use the PCI slot above the one i'm modding ;) :thumbup:

2. Mr. Bump!

Mr. Bump! (Banned or Deleted)

so what sort of ram does this board take?

It'd be interesting with a mid high range cheapish video card (given that it's only PCI-E x8) like an 8800GT and a boat load of ram with 2 core CPU's running :p

good luck with it if you actually get two PCI-E slots on it you might be able to mod crossfire, or SLi onto it :lol:

3. OP
    OP
    tiro_uspsss

tiro_uspsss Member

max speed the mobo will recognise is DDR2-400 - on top of that it needs to be ECC & REG RAM - typical of a server :thumbup:

as for PCIEx8 - I'm sticking in an Areca 1210 RAID card - but u could file open the slot so that it can take a PCIEx16 card (like a v.card - I have heard on the 'net of someone successfully doing this :D ) - having said that, I'm more of an ATi man myself - Tomshardware did a article late last yr, where they got diff high-end cards & ran them @ diff PCIE specs (x16,x8,x4) - for some weird reason, the NV cards take the hit in PCIE bandwidth more severely than the ATi's :shrug:

like I said before - *if* this mod is successful, I will put on an extra PCIEx8 slot - the contacts are there on the mobo, right under the first PCIEx8 slot.. tho, according to the mobo, its physical size x8 slot, electrically its x4 lanes :( - still opens up the opportunity to put a v.card in that is more spec'd than the PCI v.card that i'm gonna use :D

4. noboundaries-au

noboundaries-au Member

Solder wick would have helped immensely :)

5. OP
    OP
    tiro_uspsss

tiro_uspsss Member

:confused:

u wanna know how we did it? yes, thats right we - it ended up being a 2-man effort (thank u Dad!!!)
    Dad held the solder iron to the contact, & @ the right moment (when solder was liquid) I gave a quick burst of the air compressor (nozzle)! :lol::lol::lol: & *wooosh* out shoots the solder ROFL :D

6. noboundaries-au

noboundaries-au Member

Rofl, classic! :D:lol:

I'm taking it you dont know what solder wick is, you can buy it from most electronic kind of places. Basically its braided copper thread that sucks up solder like a sponge. You could have literally done the entire connector in less than a minute.:thumbup:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solder_wick

7. cvidler

cvidler Member

The iRAM only hooks up the power signals, so should have no effect on the actual operation of the bus. PCI-X slots only run on 3.3V, they won't have 5V - the iRAM is a universal (3.3 OR 5) card, it should be happy either way.

8. OP
    OP
    tiro_uspsss

tiro_uspsss Member

ahh, ok, no - i didnt know what solder wick was :D :thumbup: is it this stuff:

http://search.dse.com.au/search?p=K...7f9c06f0&isort=score&w=Desoldering Braid&rk=4

cheers! on smaller desoldering jobs I usually use a desolder sucker:

http://www.dse.com.au/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/4868d2620441e45e273fc0a87f9c06f0/Product/View/T2567

I admittedly dont know too much about the i-RAM method of operating/power.. the PCI-X will still revert back to PCI due to the v.card i'll be using.. I thought the i-RAM needs both 3.3V (for powering the actual RAM) & 5V (for charging the battery) :shrug: :thumbup:

9. noboundaries-au

noboundaries-au Member

10. OP
    OP
    tiro_uspsss

tiro_uspsss Member

noted! thank u muchly! [​IMG]

11. dead_man

dead_man Member

nice work mate,

got any links to the board and where to get the CPUs from? might be fun to play with :)

12. OP
    OP
    tiro_uspsss

tiro_uspsss Member

CPUs: ebay - & even then, u gotta wait for the 'right' price - they can be expensive as hell.. I got mine for a 'good' price, 2x 2Ghz for ~$230 delivered.

mobo: http://www.centrix-intl.com/details.asp?productid=4675 - its new, its USD$60... 'heads-up' tho, shipping is USD$60 as well :(

if u buy one, buy one for me too, just in case mine goes south from the mod :lol:

edit: psst: could u pleeeease reply to my question in here: http://forums.overclockers.com.au/showthread.php?t=692585
    thank u very muchly :toast:

13. Dezza Bot

Dezza Bot Member

Sorry but I'm not going to read the 4 pages right now. I soldered wires from a molex to my i-ram to make it work outside of a pci slot. I'd suggest you do that, unless you have some really good soldering skills and a new pci slot you can just drop in.

14. OP
    OP
    tiro_uspsss

tiro_uspsss Member

thats cool :thumbup: lemme 'break it down' for u, as to why i'm doing it like this:

the system in which I plan on putting the i-RAM, is gonna be my first 'major' build - i mean the whole nine-yards, no expense spared type thing, & thus it needs to have max aesthetic appeal :) :thumbup:

yeah, I have a dead DFI expert here, so I have access to three bright yellow PCI slots :D - & my soldering skills? mm.. their not too shabby, I've always had good manual dexerity - plus theres always room for improvement :D :thumbup:

Had it been another system, then yeah I would have taken a diff route, but this way is the most 'fun' :D ;) :thumbup:

15. cyclonite

cyclonite Member

This thread made my afternoon. Subscribed :)

I desoldered an ISA slot once... took me a good hour or two. But PCI... ahhaah, nice work!

16. dakiller

dakiller (Oscillating & Impeding)

Don't discount this method too quick, it does work quite well. I've pulled the inserts out of pens and used them to blow the solder out, you can keep your 2 hands free when you stick the pen in your mouth, just don't suck in at the wrong time. Great for when you don't have any solderwick on hand

17. OP
    OP
    tiro_uspsss

tiro_uspsss Member

:lol::lol::lol: I told my Dad about ur pen thingy - he LOL'd :lol: :thumbup: :toast:

18. ford ftw

ford ftw Member

Thats a good idea.

19. OP
    OP
    tiro_uspsss

tiro_uspsss Member

20. OP
    OP
    tiro_uspsss

tiro_uspsss Member