Discussion in 'Modding' started by tiro_uspsss, Jun 29, 2008.
Little bit serious there with the mask. The fumes are the fun bit of soldering, the burns sure aint.
yeah, the fumes were getting in the way
Insane. I love it
Man I hope this all works in the end!
Gunna suck if it doesn't
Wicked stuff so far! Love the eye-piece pic!!
ok folks, follow along closely:
- I never tested this mobo before I got it
- I do not have the correct RAM for this mobo ATM (it needs DDR2 ECC+REG)
- the mobo has four onboard diagnostic LEDs
my thought 'process':
1) if the mobo shows nothing on monitor when turned on with no RAM in it nor any card in my mod slot - then I presume: no RAM = no signal to monitor
2) if no smoke comes from anywhere, especially the slot - thats a dam good start :rofl:
3) the four diagnostic LEDs can show a plethora of combo's, thus a hugh range of problems... I looked up in the mobo manual &... all problems relate to RAM issues - except one, which pertains to the PCI
4) If I turn on the mobo without the LAN card in my mod-slot, & a particular diagnostic error is shown on LEDs - then this would be purely due to the fact that there is no RAM present - cause clearly the mobo isnt going to be able to tell if its had the PCI contacts/traces extented (which is essentially all that *any* slot is, until a card is plugged in).
If I turn it on with the LAN card in, & the diagnostic LEDs have the same combo as when the mobo was without - imo, its a confirmation of sorts
hope everyone followed my train of thought
that plus this:
BTW - dont look too closely as to what I was using as CPU 'coolers'
Looks like awesome progress! Congrats. Hope you can get some RAM soon.
Question though - wouldn't those heatsinks be way too small for the CPUs? They can get hot even just at idle you know (with no heatsink)?
the CPUs are essentially laptop/notebook CPUs - u cant see it in the pic, but there is a big desktop fan running in the background, directed @ the mobo
I saw a figure recently RE: the CPUs - '31W' - so thats either their usage or their heat output - not much either way
Ah ok - yeah 31W... it's not a lot - but definitely wouldn't want to run them passive like that - good idea with the desk fan. They should have thermal shutdown on them anyway.
Why is it so hard to get RAM? Is it the registered part that's a PITA?
I'm hell low on $$$ atm, that plus oz etailers like to price gouge when it comes to server stuff
I have found an etailer in the USA that ships international, so I will be buying from them when I get the $
just thought i would post quickly.. i read this thread the other day and surprise no one else has tried this or commented.
I did this a few years back on an old amd mobo. It didnt work altho the pci slot did power things up as yous does. I put it down to the NB chipset not being enabled.
I currently have a DFI lanparty ultra-d mobo that was NOT sli ready even tho it has 2x pci-e slots. i could run 2 vid cards no prob.. Turns out a simple pencil trick on the NB chip unlocks it ! now i can do sli, albiet 16x and 8x (i think its 8x, could be 4x.. dont use sli atm anyway !)
at a guess, maybe you might end up having to do the same, or possibly a bios flash. Find the next higher mobo is your series that has all the bells and whistles and i suspect it will actually work.
fingers crossed and goodluck !
the SLi would be running x8, x8
so far I have no way of knowing/testing whether data works on my PCI slot - but power obviously does - which is what I wanted.. the i-RAM only needs power - no data
having said that, the LAN cards 'activity' LED does a bit of blinking when the mobo is turned on - iirc, this is normal 'procedure' for any LAN card in a pc.. so maybe, just maybe data is working too - heres to hoping, as that would make the mod all the more sweet!
if all goes to plan, i will be ordering RAM next week Monday :w00t: - & I'll be getting express shipping, so fingers-crossed it will be here end of next week!
Nice work, how does the iRAM work if it only needs power. Or is it connected via SATA or IDE etc?
SATA 1 charcharchar
Ram for the mobo or Ram for I-Ram?
RAM for mobo - the i-RAM already has 4x1GB of Samsung UCCC