Adding undervoltage release tripping unit to EV charger?

Discussion in 'Electronics & Electrics' started by decryption, Aug 28, 2021.

1. decryption

decryption Member

I'm looking to upgrade my current EV charger from a single phase unit to a 3-phase one now that my new EV can support 3-phase charging.

Was having a squiz at a brochure from Schneider on their EV chagers and saw that they suggest in this document that an "Undervoltage release tripping unit" be installed and connected directly to the charger itself.

I don't think it's required as part of AS/NZS 3000:2018, but is it worth getting anyways if Schneider is recommending it? Or are they just upselling a few extra bits because they can? What's the point of it safety wise?

[​IMG]

2. Symon

Symon Castigat ridendo mores

In the brochure it says it is for 'EV Ready Requirements' - whatever they are.

It's a bit odd, I would have thought the charger would have its own undervolt protection, rather than have to rely on an external unit.

3. mtma

mtma Member

It probably does but I guess it must self-restart, which the external trip relay would prevent where brownout or unstable grid situations occur.

That second document does look a bit like a sales flyer though.

decryption likes this.
  4. OP
    OP
    decryption

decryption Member

I tried digging into that, it looks like a scheme Renault cooked up to ensure EV charger installs are done a certain way before there was an IEC standard in Europe for it - but buggered if I can find details on why they decided under-voltage protection is required (or even the standards of an EV Ready install are).