Adelaide, street.

Discussion in 'The Gallery' started by bevanbraves, Jan 2, 2011.

1. bevanbraves

bevanbraves Member

Took my nifty fifty out for the first time, since i was in the city (Adelaide) over Christmas. Went down to Glenelg in Adelaide on boxing day. The 50mm might be a bit long for street, but its all i had.

I tried to adjust by being a bit further from my subjects but a few time a shorter lens would have been helpful - like when i walked past a resturant table that was on the sidewalk that had two Grandmas drinking coffees ... and both had lap dogs, and one was sipping out of the owners coffee cup. But i was too close to grab the shot.

Let me know what you think. I'd love to get out again next time i'm in adelaide. I've played around with some different PP. Onto the pics. CC please.

1. I like the youth verse experience in the game closest to the viewer, and in the next game along you can see a guy with tattooed arms playing a much older errrr, experienced player. Note theres a girl or two in the frame as well. Pity the background wall is so cluttered.

[​IMG]
    Chess by kcpics73, on Flickr

2. I love this guy. Standing just outside a shop door he's trying to go un-noticed in his muted floral shirt and um, dog of sorts complete with bright blue doggie bag and hot pink leash.

[​IMG]
    Man and dog by kcpics73, on Flickr

3. I thought this pic had some links. The guy casually leaning against the post outside a store called "Casual Image". He's looking down SusSEX St, where "We massage". The Police are "this way" down Sussex St, I assume they arent doing the massaging? Casual photograph also = store name (casual image).

[​IMG]
    Casual Image by kcpics73, on Flickr

4. Music corner. I prefer drums, but the colourful guitars in the window caught my eye.

[​IMG]
    Music corner by kcpics73, on Flickr

5. The only winning move is not to play. The Lidums Australian Allegro Championship was held on Boxing day at Glenelg Community Center. By my count, there might have been 60 players. 6 game swiss tournament. 15 minutes for each player + 3 seconds per move. I was very concious of taking pictures. It was pretty quiet in there. With a higher ISO of 800 i didnt need to use the flash.

[​IMG]
    street8 by kcpics73, on Flickr

6. End Game. Another from Lidums Australian Allegro Championship. Grain added.

[​IMG]
    street9 by kcpics73, on Flickr

7. Somewhere, Ernies (Seasame St) heart is broken. Pigeon. Dead.

[​IMG]
    Ernies heartbreak by kcpics73, on Flickr

8. Wall Mural.

[​IMG]
    street11 by kcpics73, on Flickr

9. Pigeon. Head in drain. Probably the wrong angle.

[​IMG]
    street12 by kcpics73, on Flickr

10. Waterslides. I'm not sure which version i liked, colour with the green and blue slides? Or maybe the B&W version because the lines/curves are more defined?

[​IMG]
    Lines by kcpics73, on Flickr

11. Flags

[​IMG]
    street3 copy by kcpics73, on Flickr

Last edited: Jan 2, 2011
  2. richard0296

richard0296 Member

i like #6 a lot, was it intentionally so grainy though?

edit; fuck i gotta read posts with a little more care

3. terrastrife

terrastrife Member

im no pro, but you seem to have a tendancy to be too far right.

a few of those couldve been done standing straight on more or without cropping so much of the left, both meaning take a few steps to your left, youre too far right :p

4. OP
    OP
    bevanbraves

bevanbraves Member

I hear what your saying. I think this might have happened for two reasons;

1. Me being a bit reluctant to get "front on" to people, or too close.

2. The 50mm is a bit long but its all i had & i know its field of view, so i ended up shooting "across" the street rather than getting squared up where a 35mm might be ok but i couldnt frame what i wanted square on with the 50mm due to being too close. I think i took more shots of the other side of the street than i did on my own side!

5. Geej

Geej Member

I like the chess shots, the black and white ones work well. Number 6 is probably the best