Adelaide - worth a holiday?

Discussion in 'Holidays & Travel' started by ruffdayz, Jul 15, 2017.

1. JustHarry

JustHarry Member

You do realize people on this forum don't need to agree with you, That they are allowed to voice their own opinion?

The fact you're nit picking my comment shows your lack of acceptance of others opinions, You then need to go ridicule those who don't agree with you.

My comment was based of living there for 14 years and now living in Melbourne for 15 years. I travel back and fourth yearly; I'm no pro but ive spent a fair bit of timing up and down the coast of both states (QLD included).

If you can't accept this point of view, Then sod off to another thread to nitpick other members comments :leet:

MR CHILLED likes this.
  2. goodguy82

goodguy82 Member

Lmao can't deal reading all these :upset::lol::lol::lol:

Tbh been living in Adelaide for 30+ years now! There's not much to do here, it's a quiet clean city

3. Tinian

Tinian Member

so no standards..?
    I can't take anyone seriously who suggests Adelaide has better beaches than QLD.

4. JustHarry

JustHarry Member

This thread isn't about Queensland though; Albeit I daresay the OP has been and gone or not bothered at all; But this was a discussion about SA worth a trip, Not Qld.

5. Tinian

Tinian Member

I didn't start the comparisons.

6. vladtepes

vladtepes Member

An interesting comment. I'm a born and bred Brisbanite, my missus is a born and bred Adelaidian.

We have some great beaches here in Qld - along the Sunshine and Gold coasts BUT no beaches to speak of within minutes from town, as is the case in Adelaide.
    The proximity of good beaches in Adelaide is amazing. If you're in Brisbane you have to drive for at least an hour to get to anything decent.

There's nothing wrong with the beaches in Adelaide, aside perhaps from the water temperature. I don't know about that because I didn't actually go swimming.

7. Tinian

Tinian Member

But no one said Brisbane's beaches (as a river city) were amazing.

Depending on where you are it can be more than an hour to get to a Sydney beach too.

8. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

Watchyou talking 'bout Willis,
    Brisbane has a great beach - http://www.brisbane-australia.com/brisbane-streets-beach-southbank.html :).

As far as Adelaide beaches for City Holiday Makers go, how accessible are they? I can get to Glenelg on a Tram, or I can get to Brighton or Southport/Aldinga on the train, if I don't mind a long suburban walk, and a risk of being stabbed at Noarlunga... None of these are beaches that come to mind when I think "World Class Beaches"

Stay in Sydney - you can reach Bondi, Manly, Cronulla, Newcastle, Stacks of South Coast beaches.

Newcastle to Nowra, well covered (compared to adelaide) by trains ~350K's.
    Gawler to Aldinga is ~100.

Put a train down the FP, or across to Yorkes or Eyre, and you can make a case for Adelaide being a tourists destination for the beaches.

9. Diode

Diode Member

What's with the obsession with beaches? There are nice to enjoy during summer but it's not a selling point for winter. The seaweed that grows over winter also makes the beaches a bit unsightly and stinky. Adelaide isn't a year round beach destination.

I'd have to say March probably is the best time to go for the Fringe, Adelaide 500, and still warm enough for the beach.

10. vladtepes

vladtepes Member

ruffdayz a pertinent question - you've mentioned your wife and dog. Do you have any kids along for the holiday? Because obviously the requirements of that kind of holiday are different and some of the things mentioned here like nightclubs may not be very important...

11. OP
    OP
    ruffdayz

ruffdayz Member

Adelaide top news story for DailyFail..

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...s-racist-abuse-boy-drowns-Adelaide-beach.html

Nah we don't.

In the end we ended up in SEQld (and as far as Brisbane) / Far North NSW Coast for just under 3 weeks.. had a great relaxing time. :)

Last edited: Dec 19, 2017
  12. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

And what did you do whilst you were up there?

13. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

14. OP
    OP
    ruffdayz

ruffdayz Member

From the news I honestly think Melbourne holds that crown. So many reports of racist behaviour on buses, trains, trams.

Not sure if second is Adelaide or Sydney. Darwin could be up there too. Tassie and Qld I don't think even rate.

Spent some time on way up coming via Waterfall Way (Dorrigo/Bellingen) and walked Red Cedar Falls, Wollomombi Falls, Ebor Falls, Dangar Falls, Casuarina and Crystal Showers Falls.

Then a week in Surfers Paradise doing the theme parks, Currumbin Wildlife Park, Hinze Dam, and spent a day in Southbank whilst up there (Gladiators Exhibition and Marvel Universe exhibition).

From there went to Advancetown and spent a few days at Natural Bridge, Springbrook National Parks (Purling Brook Falls, Blackfellow Falls, Rainbow Falls, Twin Falls, etc) and lookouts (Canyon and Best of All).

and then came back via Murwullimbah to Casuarina for a few days, before heading home stopping off at Yamba, and South West Rocks on way back.

Way too much walking in the end, but a decent break.

vladtepes likes this.
  15. insular

insular Member

cant believe this thread is still going, clearly adelaide has a lot going for it with this much interest :p

16. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

I'm only post in it, because I have no theme parks to go to...

Bring Back DazzleLand.

17. insular

insular Member

or timezone meridian
    or magic mountain
    or seaworld (barely remember that)

18. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

Marineland?
    I remember Downtown/Tilt...
    The Granite Island Chairlift
    Greenhills Adventure Park
    Lakeside Leisure Park
    Puzzle Park.

I 'member

19. vladtepes

vladtepes Member

EPIC FAIL on my part I didn't realise the thread was so old !
    Sounds like you had a great holiday. Plenty of nice places there.

20. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Lots of jealousy mate, lots of jealousy that's why ;)