Adobe Creative Suite 4: New Photoshop + GPU Acceleration, Premiere and More!

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by DiGiTaL MoNkEY, Sep 23, 2008.

1. DiGiTaL MoNkEY

DiGiTaL MoNkEY Inverted Monkey

[​IMG]

http://www.adobe.com/products/creativesuite/?promoid=DNOWM

[​IMG]

Coverage on Engadget: http://gizmodo.com/5053419/adobe-cr...ade-including-new-photoshop-premiere-and-more

PDFs:
    • Photoshop What's New PDF http://www.adobe.com/aboutadobe/pressroom/cs4/pdfs/cs4_illustrator_whatsnew.pdf

• Premiere What's New PDF http://www.adobe.com/aboutadobe/pressroom/cs4/pdfs/cs4_premiere_pro_whatsnew.pdf

• Illustrator What's New PDF http://www.adobe.com/aboutadobe/pressroom/cs4/pdfs/cs4_illustrator_whatsnew.pdf

• After Effects What's New PDF http://www.adobe.com/aboutadobe/pressroom/cs4/pdfs/cs4_after_effects_whatsnew.pdf

• Dreamweaver What's New PDF http://www.adobe.com/aboutadobe/pressroom/cs4/pdfs/cs4_dreamweaver_whatsnew.pdf

• Flash What's New PDF http://www.adobe.com/aboutadobe/pressroom/cs4/pdfs/cs4_flash_whatsnew.pdf

Last edited: Sep 24, 2008
  2. revhed

revhed Member

3. Azrael

Azrael Member

Bah, no 64bit support :thumbdn:

4. kini_mini

kini_mini Member

It is 64-bit for Windows users, though Macs miss out. I'm very annoyed that ACR 5 won't be available to CS3 users considering that it isn't all that much of an improvement over version 4.x. Local edits are long overdue, but I don't particularly want to buy an upgrade just for that.

I have a terrible feeling that 4.x may never support the 5D mk II...if that's the case I might as well export to PS from DPP.

5. brad57

brad57 Member

Not true:

From the FAQ:

Does Photoshop CS4 support native 64-bit processing?

Photoshop CS4 for Microsoft® Windows Vista® runs 64-bit native.
    What are the advantages of 64-bit computing?

In early testing of 64-bit support in Photoshop for Windows®, overall performance gains ranged from 8% to 12%. Those who work with extremely large files may realize noticeably greater gains in performance, in some cases as dramatic as ten times the previous speed. This is because 64-bit applications can address larger amounts of memory and thus result in less file swapping — one of the biggest factors that can affect data processing speed.

6. SgtCaboose

SgtCaboose Member

Im want it purely for the 64bit support.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 24, 2008
  7. Dropbear

Dropbear Member

What he said ..

It's going to be reason I finally go V*

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 24, 2008
  8. manic311

manic311 (Banned or Deleted)

This is going to one of the most powerfull programs ever, it will be using the graphics card and I have seen 2gb images being handled in realtime with layers and adjustments with ease and no loss of performance.

You will be happy you splashed out on that HD4870x2/GTX280 now....

9. theicemagic

theicemagic Member

As said, native 64bit workflow, but also, it uses opengl I believe for displaying work in real time. That'll make the biggest difference I think to workflow with it, significantly faster load times, and effect times.

There's only so much you can change on the forground. This is more the version you HAVE to have because of all the background changes.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2008
  10. Katunka89

Katunka89 Member

I'll buy it with student discount, so as to get a legit copy.

11. cpl punish

cpl punish Member

Nice to see seam carving ("Content-Aware Scaling") is included now. This will be a handy tool for tweaking image sizes / compositions.

12. Dropbear

Dropbear Member

As far as I know, it will only use 3D accel for things like rotation and zooming..

13. Azrael

Azrael Member

Well that changes everything. CS4 here i come.

14. bugeyes

bugeyes Member

Probably isn't the right thread to ask but since photoshop is my main computing task... "Is Vista64 bug-free enough to consider the change from XP? Been having thoughts of building a rig running a 64GB SSD for windows and apps and two 500GB HDDs in raid-1 for storage with 16GBs of RAM

15. theicemagic

theicemagic Member

For me Vista 64 was bug free from the start (I use Ultimate versions on all my PC's, only two are running 64bit though).
    Problems I've experienced are primarily to do with early 64bit nVidia drivers. All those bugs have since dissapeared for myself anyway. As far as everything else is concerned, 64bit vista has been the most stable system I've used to date.

16. wellonchompy

wellonchompy Member

Boo! No 64-bit Macs!

Macs have been 64-bit longer than Windows, and I would have thought that they were the first choice for the kind of people who use Adobe stuff.

Booo!

:thumbdn:

17. Sitting*Duck

Sitting*Duck Member

Since SP1 vista has been the most stable OS I've used. In fact no one I know has any issues. You would think that computers are exploding left right and centre the way some XP fanbois bash vista.

.sd

18. SgtCaboose

SgtCaboose Member

Go suck off Steve, market majority = better shit.

I am aware that the hardcore designers use Macs however I guess it shows that Adobe is more of a corp. than a group of happy fairy people who want to help the little guy.

19. wellonchompy

wellonchompy Member

I'm not a fanboi, dipshit. I was merely questioning the decision not to include 64-bit support for Macs; I figured that the proportion of Photoshop users with Macs would be much higher than the quoted ~10% market share of Macs in general. My guess was 50%, but given the lack of 64-bit, I guess I'm wrong.

20. theicemagic

theicemagic Member

Even taking into consideration that macs are the 'choice' when it comes to graphic arts etc, more people still likely utilise Photoshop on a PC then on a mac... Significantly more.

I base this on absolutely nothing, other then my own reasoning... Which may or may not be flawed.

From my understanding with Apple, is that their current Leopard while it is a 64bit system (and has been for a while) it has a memory issue that's inherrant in the system itself.. While the system can address more then 4gb's of ram, it can't address more then 4gb's per application. (read on LL.com)