ADSL filters - is there a difference?

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by Akh-Horus, Jul 23, 2010.

1. Akh-Horus

Akh-Horus Member

I was running ADSL for a while, using the standard ADSL1 filter/splitter.

Ive gone to ADSL2 and am still using the same filter/splitter. Ive heard you can get ADSL2 filter/splitters. Is there an expected difference in the ADSL1 versus the ADSL2 filter/splitters?

Im only around 400m from my exchange and max out at around 800kbps, i would have expected more and am thinking I could get better performance by getting the ADSL2 filters/splitter - or are they really the same?

2. radeon_freak

radeon_freak Member

No idea on the filters, but before you go blow some cash you might want to see if the filters are limiting your speed.

Disconnect all your phones etc and only have the modem hooked up. Dont use any filters etc.

If you sync at higher rates and gain any speed then change your filters, if not then no point wasting cash on new ones.

3. CAPT-Irrelevant

CAPT-Irrelevant Member

Walking distance/birds eye view or by cable length?

Find out here.

4. Pugs

Pugs Member

more to do with the age of the componants in the filter... if it is an Older filter yeah a newer one would be better... do ISO tests.. you may have a dodgy phone point... time for a cabler and while you are at it may as well go a remote central filter

Last edited: Jul 23, 2010
  5. OP
    OP
    Akh-Horus

Akh-Horus Member

Cant see my exchange on that map for some reason. I know precisely where it is though, its under 400m.

Edit - just checked - 387m.

Ill change the filters over and see what happens, Ive got spares.

So there arent any filters specific to ADSL2?

6. Pugs

Pugs Member

yes all newer ones will be "adsl2+" compatible.. but i think that is a marketing hype/ Gimik...

7. CAPT-Irrelevant

CAPT-Irrelevant Member

Make an enquiry to who owns the line. Your sync is going to depend mostly on cable length, not your visual/walking distance.

8. radeon_freak

radeon_freak Member

Like I said before, do yourself a favour and try and isolation test. If you sync at the same speeds and dont see any increase, no filters in the world will help you.

Besides, you dont even need a filter between the modem and the wall socket (unless your using a splitter). Only on the phones etc.

9. OP
    OP
    Akh-Horus

Akh-Horus Member

I have been told for years by so called experts that I need a filter between the phone wall socket and the modem - have I been fed shit all these years?

10. Pugs

Pugs Member

if they are on the same socket then yes if not you don't need to filter the Modem

11. radeon_freak

radeon_freak Member

As pugs said, if the phone and modem are on the same socket then yes you need a filter. If your modem is the only thing plugged into that socket then no you dont need one.

12. Auriga

Auriga Member

It's a common problem with the c10 inline filters. I have Customers using them fine for years, then change to ADSL2+ connection and can now hear slight modem noise. Change to a new c10 ADSL2+ filter (the Telstra ones now have a Telstra logo, a different verson, and a recent manufacturing date) and no more noise.

13. OP
    OP
    Akh-Horus

Akh-Horus Member

The ones I have are c10 model c10245m - or should I say these are the spare ones I have when I connected to bigpong but havent used these yet.

Funny thing is I am getting shit connection all of a sudden lol, frequent drop outs and gaming impossible online.

14. mike-s

mike-s Member

Hmm, i have a line filter that dates back to the early adsl2 era, might be benificial to do some testing of my own. Other people my distance from the same exchange are getting 8-11 meg, wheras im getting 3500/800.

Thanks for the food for thought guys.

15. jonsey

jonsey Member

Post your current modem stats,

line att. current connection speed etc.

Sounds to me like you have it set on an adsl 1 profile and not an adsl 2+ profile in your modem.

16. Hive

Hive Member

Asbolutly there is a difference.

From what i've gathered the telstra filters they give you are the best, atleast that's what i heard

17. BuuBox

BuuBox Member

+1 for an isolation test unplug everything but the modem (including Foxtel, B2B alarm, etc).

Then report back with line sync stats after using it for a while.

18. caspian

caspian Member

Telstra do not make them, they simply supply C10 Communications filters. they are an excellent product when used correctly.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2010
  19. Hive

Hive Member

Thanks for correcting

20. imf

imf Member

There is a difference, if your connection is ADSL2+, using ADSL2+ compatible filter will give you 3-4Mbps faster in real time.

With a ADSL1 filter, your ADSL2+ speed from the modem may be around 12-13Mbps downspeed and 0.4Mbps upspeed

With a ADSL2+ filter, your ADSL2+ speed may be around 17-18Mbps downspeed and 0.75Mbps upspeed

test it out with SPEEDTEST.NET

if you can already get the 17-18Mbps downspeed and 0.75 upspeed, you won't need a ADSL2+ filter coz that's around the best you can get real life (NOT 24Mbps)