ADSL/NBN advice needed

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by Mr B, Apr 2, 2019.

1. Mr B

Mr B Member

Hey all

Firstly, have searched but cannot find advice, so advice greatly appreciated.

We are on an ADSL2 plan where we are hitting our 150G metered data limit and needing to buy data packs after purchase of an xbox for the young fella. Usage is about 3-500G per month including metered and non-metered.

On a plan where netflix, xbox downloads and steam shouldn't count towards data, but xbox and steam are doing so. Working through that (confirmed settings are good, and installed steam limiter according to instructions but its not working properly. Provider investigating xbox issue, as yet unresolved).

This does raise the question of whether we should move to an unlimited plan, though we have been with our current provider for over 13 years. Doesn't mean we wont switch, but here's the clincher.

We are in a NBN satellite only area, despite being a short distance out of Coffs Harbour NSW. These plans simply don't cater for our data volume. ADSL will apparently be switched off at some stage, however no idea when (probably a long time?). 4G plans (should we set up for it) are similar in that they would be significantly more expensive than our base $80p/m cost, with presumably multiple plans required.

When I search for another provider, sites say that ADSL plans are not available for our location, despite us currently being on an adsl plan.

Any thoughts or advice?

Edit: Speed is another issue. Paying for a 8.5MBPS plan, but getting pretty random speeds between about 0.5 and 4 MBPS generally, sometimes higher, with a bunch of dropouts etc. Accept that copper condition etc is a factor.

Basically looking for an option that provides high or unlimited data at a decent speed. If we got 8.5 standard i's be pretty happy....

Last edited: Apr 2, 2019
  2. MELso76

MELso76 Member

What's your Optus signal like? Can you live with 500GB? Are you willing to invest in an external antenna? And can you live with a CGNAT connection?

If so, Optus Wireless Broadband may be ideal...

https://www.optus.com.au/shop/broadband/mobile-broadband/modems#Modems

3. OP
    OP
    Mr B

Mr B Member

Thanks - will investigate further.

Open to a new hardware setup if it proves viable.

Cheers

4. koopz

koopz Member

talk to tpg.

as I understand, they are targeting new potential markets and running fiber to new towers to meet the NBN 4G project failure

Mr B likes this.
  5. koopz

koopz Member

that's a big market...

a very big market

Pugs likes this.
  6. MELso76

MELso76 Member

TPG doesn't run a mobile network though (they recently shut down their plans to do so). Their fibre is used by Vodafone, whose mobile products they resell...

koopz likes this.
  7. ir0nhide

ir0nhide Member

Because of where you live and the infrastructure in the ground, your choices are somewhat limited. There are plenty of unlimited ADSL plans these days (wtf 150G for $80 month??), check those out.

Alternatively the optus 500G plan is pretty decent value as a fixed line alternative:
    https://offer.optus.com.au/shop/broadband/mobile-broadband/huawei-b525-wifi

There's really nothing else with that data volume for that budget.

8. OP
    OP
    Mr B

Mr B Member

Thanks for the advice all.

We signed up to the Optus 500G plan, and forked out for a B525 modem. Have been testing the last week.

Speed is terrible. Best ive seen is about 10 down, most often about 3-5 down with plenty of lag/dropouts etc. Ping anywhere between about 40 and 600.

Haven't tried an external aerial, but have put the modem outside to get a better signal. Connection stats seem to look ok, and the speed is confusing me. Any thoughts on whether connection should be so bad with below stats?

RSRQ: -9dB
    RSRP: -82dBm
    RSSI: -57dBm
    SINR: 5dB
    Band: 28

They seem to look pretty good to me, plenty of people getting fast speeds with worth stats.

Not sure at this stage whether its worth getting a yagi, or just ditch the idea and stay on slow flaky ADSL. Any thoughts or advice?

Edit: Forgot to mention, speedtest often wont even connect - Latency test error mostly. So, bad connection...

Last edited: Jun 29, 2019
  9. koopz

koopz Member

I pressed like on your comment.

This has gone on long enough.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2019
  10. money_killer

money_killer Member

An external antenna should speed things up

11. Primüs

Primüs Member

how far out of Coffs, where are you talking exactly? Could look at setting up a fixed wireless connection to someone closer who may have a fixed line service and 'sharing' their service for better value.

You wont be able to order new ADSL because it will be in 'cease sale' state, meaning only existing connections are maintained, no new ones are added, and if you lose your service for any reason you may not get it back.

12. OP
    OP
    Mr B

Mr B Member

Just up at Bucca. Sharing service isn't an option.

I think i'll take modem for a drive closer to the Coramba tower which I think is supplying us and see if any speed change. If its better, then I guess an antenna should help.

Interesting re new ADSL plans - Telstra rep was keen to sign me up on the spot.

13. s4mmy

s4mmy Member

Pugs and Yoodaa like this.
  14. OP
    OP
    Mr B

Mr B Member

Thanks s4mmy - all over that, very informative thread. Went for a drive with the modem yesterday and got some much better results closer to towers. I’m going to set up some similar yagis, which should help and do better than adsl.

Yoodaa likes this.