1. If you're receiving a message that you are banned from the Current Events or Politics forums, it's not you specifically: those forums have been hidden for all users. For more info, see here.
    Dismiss Notice

adsl2+ and home phone installation in apartment (With NEW issues)

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by kinet1c, Jun 13, 2013.

1. kinet1c

kinet1c Member

Hey guys and girls,

Recently ive applied for tpg adsl2+ and home phone. Application went through fine and have been given an installation date of the 18/6.

Now for background info -

- I own the apartment and have had a tenant in it for the first 9 months since its completion
    - The tenant had home phone and internet installed in that period. (telstra confirmed)
    - As of now the socket at the wall will power a corded phone but no dial tone
    - No idea where the mdf is located (possibly car park)

From my understanding a Telstra tech will come out to the premises, do his thing up to the boundary (Side "A" mdf) and leave. Following all this ive been advised by tpg i will not be needed to be present for the install. Do the phone sockets in the apartment receive power from Side "B" of the buildings mdf?

Im wondering overall if i will need to get a cabler out to connect A-B after the telstra tech is done or if this is already done previously? Or is it a new process everytime (new physical cable brought to the mdf from street).

Hopefully this isnt all too long winded and hard to follow but as you'd all understand not having internet is like not having 2 legs and i'd like to have this all installed as quickly as possible without multiple call outs etc.

Thanks everyone.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2013
  2. GooSE

GooSE New Member

Luck of the draw really. With my last place I had to get someone out to do the MDF jumpering. In my current place it just worked.

Easiest thing to do is try it once TPG says the installation is done. If it doesn't work, call a cabler.

3. caspian

caspian Member

yes and yes. although I hope the tech can find the MDF better than you can!

depends on how the previous line was connected and how the new one is built. if the previous circuit can be reused then it should already be jumpered. if, for instance, the previous service was a ULL and it's still connected (even if there is no service on it) then a new line will have to be built and Telstra will just tag it at the MDF.

all you can do is try it post Telstra's work and get a cabler out if no go.

4. OP
    OP
    kinet1c

kinet1c Member

Im sure the bloke had a functioning home phone and adsl so hopefully it "just works"

I hardly had a look but went for another walk through both levels of parking (very generous lockup parking, not that many units to be honest) and didnt come across anything. To be fair im in building "B" and looking through the complex im gonna say there might be a building "C" too (building "A" is a given) and without knowing whether the otherside is a different address (complex takes up a whole block, 3 possible street addresses) would there only be 1 MDF for the whole lot? Man I dont know. Theres so much guess work. Ill let it play out and see if I can connect then if not, cabler out.

Anyway as above im sure the tenant had home phone connected (not naked service) which means i get instaconnection right?

Thanks guys

5. caspian

caspian Member

techs are normally pretty good at sussing out MDFs (bread and butter), they'll also have an idea of where the leadin goes which helps.

whether there's one MDF for the site of one per building - who knows? Telstra did have an MDF location database I used occasionally but it wasn't as comprehensive as it could have been, it was mainly based on voluntary entries from field staff as opposed to any actual reference knowledge.

if the previous connection was PSTN then you're quite likely to be OK. leave a phone and modem plugged in, techs use ringing phones as "proof" a circuit is OK to a premises even with nobody home. same for listening for modems syncing up.

6. OP
    OP
    kinet1c

kinet1c Member

I'd hope the tech could just mozy over here and find the mdf no worries. I havent even walked around the perimeter to look for lines leading to the building. I am curious but only to an extent. Might have a wander just in case i can point the bloke in the right direction for speed speed speed!

Good idea leaving phone plugged in and will have purchased a modem before the install date.

On a related note, sort of, was over at my mums place today going through internal network issues of her own and while in the modem settings noticed a decent sync speed of around 17,000kbps but on a quick speedtest.net run was seeing not even 50KB/s ?? It seemed quick enough on loading webpages mostly but that download speed is a joke. It was early arvo when all the kids around the neighbourhood get onto facebook and all that but is there something i may have missed? She's been on the same service for years (i moved out over 2 years ago) and i remember downloading steam apps at around 2MB/s. it cranked. Thoughts? iinet voip plan, nb9wmaxxn modem/router...

I can hijack my own thread right?

7. GooSE

GooSE New Member

Call iiNet support and go through their process. They seem to be quite good.

Regarding MDF access, you can simply ask the building manager or strata manager.

8. caspian

caspian Member

account might be shaped, or it could be congestion. or it could just be that speedtest is a lousy way of testing anything.

9. OP
    OP
    kinet1c

kinet1c Member

Nah checked usage, 100,000MB plan she's used 891MB (might have to leave a laptop in the corner downloading) im leaning towards congestion as i went to a few different speed test sites and tried to download a file or 2. No increase. Maybe just an off day...

Anyway not really a concern for me mum hasnt noticed and I got everything she wanted going. I just want net at mine now. Hurry up 4 days and pass already.

10. OP
    OP
    kinet1c

kinet1c Member

Just in case this ever gets googled I managed to sort out the speed issues on the netcomm.

Enabling Annex M (which as far as I know usually helps with upload) and seemless rate adaption greatly increased speeds.

With only one or the other enabled the speed is unaffected but with both i can download at over 1.5MB/s from the iinet ftp server. Much better.

Or its all just a coincidence. Which I dont believe in...

Edit: saw great speeds for about half an hour now even accessing the modem/router is slow. Whats going on here... I did a factory reset the other day chasing this problem so I'm not sure that would fix it now. hmm

Edit 2: I believe its been me moving the router around to access ethernet when updating things. Changed wireless channel and enabled "xpress Technology" and its all fine again with the router perched up on top of the cupboard. Touch wood. I never thought wireless settings could be that degrading. Also my bad i never mentioned it was a wireless network.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2013
  11. caspian

caspian Member

yeah, that would do it.

Click to view full size!

12. OP
    OP
    kinet1c

kinet1c Member

to be fair I was sitting no more than a metre away even when it was up on the cupboard but anyway all good now.

TPG was installed on Tuesday with absolutely no hassles. No MDF jumpering no calls from techs and was up and running hours before the install was even supposed to commence. On a whim I dialled the home phone in the morning and didn't ring, tried an hour later, and hey ring ring. Had to go out after that but bought a modem in the arvo (managed to get a dud tp-link w8960n had to drive back for a swap, cant be lucky all day) plugged it in, chucked settings at it and synced at around 12mbit. Cheering!

All in all I read about a million horror stories with TPG but I gotta say thumbs up to them. Received a courtesy call asking if all was well and a test call the following morning to make sure it continued to operate.

Well done TPG and thanks everyone for the tips/info.

13. OP
    OP
    kinet1c

kinet1c Member

In the end after some play with snr settings ive synced higher than the maximum attainable? Solid connection so far with 0% packet loss.

Winner?

Click to view full size!

14. caspian

caspian Member

clearly that is impossible.

I would be very suspicious of those numbers being reported. for instance, the SNRs are apparently reported in tenths of a dB, but while the upstream is OK, that would make your downstream 0.6dB which I find unlikely. and then the attenuation and power is apparently also being reported in the same units, but looks OK in both directions.

I am not familiar with SNR forcing because I don't see much point in it, but perhaps the attainable is what the rate would be without forcing? (i.e. based on port profile.)

15. GooSE

GooSE New Member

As far as I know, TPG's DSLAMs will always be locked to 6 dB attenuation unless you have a stability profile (or whatever) applied.

SNR tweaking doesn't do anything on TPG. I'm suspecting dodgy reporting by the modem/router.

16. caspian

caspian Member

as I said, I am not familiar with SNR tweaking, but an SNR target in a line profile is just that - a target. the only way to "lock" a port profile to a minimum SNR is to enforce a carrier loss below that point, which can easily be done (as with other parameters).

I doubt that's been done as it would result in an instant loss of sync for any service that drops below 6dB SNR.

17. .Morphio

.Morphio Member

I don't where you get that from caspian but you couldn't be more wrong - an SNR figure is just a target figure, its not set in stone and it doesn't mean if your SNR drops below that figure you will lose sync automatically as you suggest.

Personally my Billion runs at an SNR of 3 and will fluctuate anywhere from 2.4 to 3.9 yet I don't see dropouts or throughput issues - my current uptime is actually 45 days 18 hours (sync of 13.3Mbps on a 3400m line). A friend of mine runs his connection on a 1dB SNR and doesn't have any issues either, he gets about 21Mbps at his location.

It looks like the SNR reported for the connection shown in the linked picture though is fairly low but as you can see he's paying for it in the amount of FEC's and CV's that you can see right at the bottom of the pic, though nowhere does it show the uptime on the connection - most likely the throughput on this connection would be affected and unless he has a super high quality copper path then probably will get drops too.

18. caspian

caspian Member

you might want to reread my post in the context of the one I was replying to.

19. OP
    OP
    kinet1c

kinet1c Member

So far no drop outouts and throughput has noticably increased in downloads etc. ozspeedtest reports a 2mbit bump from previous sync and while there are errors being reported im not seeing any issues in downloads or web pages loading. Is it worth the 2-3mbit increase for the amount of errors and will there be any long term effects?

A 12mbit sync is nothing to cry about but 15 is nice too...

20. JuicEmatic

JuicEmatic Member

from my experience the 'attainable rate' measurement is useless - i would estimate ~30% of the time the attainable rate reported is lower than the actual sync rate.